Had a fight with a valve stem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a fight with a valve stem...

Ok, first off, I wasn't sure if this should be in troubleshooting or maintenance, so feel free to move it fellow mods if I mis-filed it.

So yeah, as the title states, I had a "fight" with one of my valve stems today. Back in the day I had bought the "wal-mart special" valve stem caps which were, at the time, cool to me. They were metal, came with stem "sleevs" as well as caps, and best of all, painted a perfectly matching blue for car. Well, they've been losing their paint and getting beat up, so I've been intending to replace them. Today, when checking my pressure I decided to also trash the now beat up crappy metal caps in favor of old-school plastic ones. Three wheels gave me no trouble, and I yanked the caps and stem sleeves and swapped the plastic ones in. But the fourth wheel gave me difficulty. Not just difficulty. I fought with it. And I won. But at a cost.

I tried pliers to get the stupid cap off because it was stuck so bad. No luck. The entire stem would just turn with the pliers. So then I tried a second set of pliers holding the stem, but it was on so tight the stem rotated inside the metal sleeve, even in the grip of the pliers. Well, the pliers managed to dig into the metal sleeve, and that started actually "tearing" (it had to be made just of aluminum I gather), and I was able to tear it off entirely. Great, right? Well, tried pliers on the stem again, and even the bare stem still turned despite my super-strong grip with the pliers. NOW I was REALLY pissed. I was gonna get that cap off...at any cost. So I decided, that bitch is coming off...DREMEL STYLE! Yeah, that's right. I took a dremel to the m-f'ing cap. I figured the cap was either coming off, or I was replacing the stem, so might as well TRY to cut it off without hurting the stem. Worst that can happen is I replace the stem - which was happening anyway if I DIDN'T get that friggen cap off. Made my best effort to use a cutting disc without nicking the wheel, but unfortunately it does have two small scars from the cutter. I continued to gently try to cut it in half, just so I could peel the cap off. I finally got through the cap, and was able to actually peel it back off the stem. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why the cap wouldn't come off. No rust or anything inside that would explain such a stubborn cap. But then, I realized my attempt, while successful, was also a failure. I severed the stem.

Well, at least I showed that cap who was boss.

So here's my question...

Is there ANY way I can replace the stem myself WITHOUT unmounting the tire? I think, in my experiences, the stem traditionally goes on from the "inside" of the wheel and pushes outward. But I'm not positive. Would much prefer to put a new stem on myself than (A) pay anyone to do it for me or (B) let someone unmount the tire and risk marring the wheel (more than I already have).

So yeah, my people, help a brotha out!
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Re: Had a fight with a valve stem...

Discount Tire. Its like $2.....
    Tell them your tire maring concerns too
    but I dont know the answer to your question on install direction.
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
      Discount Tire doesn't exist around here.

I had another thought, I might let all the air outta the tire and then see if I can just push the sidewall in far enough to stick my hand in and yank the old stem and throw a new one in...anyone ever tried that approach?
      2009 PONTIAC G8
      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
        Originally posted by Lampoon
        Discount Tire doesn't exist around here.

I had another thought, I might let all the air outta the tire and then see if I can just push the sidewall in far enough to stick my hand in and yank the old stem and throw a new one in...anyone ever tried that approach?
        I'm going to just take a shot in the dark here and say that sounds like a bad idea.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
        Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Interesting.

Did some googling, appears metal stem caps have a track record of seizing and becoming permanently attached to stems.

Also seems the majority consensus is to let a pro do a stem replacement. So, I'm gonna have to pony up and let someone else do it.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

the big thing is its easy to replace yourself by letting the air out and pushing in on the sidewall . the big problem with that is you have to break the bead. that is very tough to do with out proper tools. it might be possible to do it by beatring the side wall with a BFH and it might break the bead. it not worth the risk IMO

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

i've seen people lower their cars down and use the brake rotor like a shovel of a tire mounting machine, but probably not the safest idea

every valve stem i have ever dealt with has to be mounted from the inside and pulled through. it really shouldn't cost too much to get done. the tire does not have to be completely dismounted so there is no need for a full mount/balance on the wheel. just let the air out, break the bead, swap the stems, and air it back up. 2 minutes tops.

Comment

The other way to break the bead is to run over the sidewall with another car.
                Where did you get those valve caps that fuse onto the stems?
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Mike, I would have to agree, the only valve stem i have installed was from the inside out. Now, with that being said, i think you could easily pop the bead and install the valve. But i think your problem would be reseating the bead. There are a few "back woods" tricks dealing with flamable content and a spark but im not sure you want to get into all of that. It would end up costing you more time and effort then it is work. I would find a local shop/mechanic and take it in and let them charge you a couple bucks.
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Back woods tricks FTMFW!
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                      Back woods tricks FTMFW!

gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Also Mike, great read!!!
                      I laughed, i cried, i almost peed my pants
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                        Where did you get those valve caps that fuse onto the stems?
                        wally world special. won't make THAT mistake again!

Originally posted by Toyz
                        Also Mike, great read!!!
                        I laughed, i cried, i almost peed my pants
                        I'm going for the oscar!

I knew everyone here would get a kick outta it...you shoulda seen me run at the wheel with the dremel...it was freddy kreuger style....

like i said before though...i reminded that cap it was my bitch...
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Dude, this sucks.

$18 to replace that god forsaken stem! Why you ask? $3.75 for the valve stem. $13 because they had to rebalance the wheel. Then of course, there's taxes.

Well, you can rest assured, NO more metal caps on my valve stems!

Oh, and when I told them the story of what happened, they laughed at me! THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish
                            Dude, this sucks.

$18 to replace that god forsaken stem! Why you ask? $3.75 for the valve stem. $13 because they had to rebalance the wheel. Then of course, there's taxes.

Well, you can rest assured, NO more metal caps on my valve stems!

Oh, and when I told them the story of what happened, they laughed at me! THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!

i didnt i saw a truck with pressure sensors guy broke the stem off trying to get the cap off that was a $50+ mistake
                            feel beter now

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                            Originally posted by snowmanG6
                            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                              i didnt i saw a truck with pressure sensors guy broke the stem off trying to get the cap off that was a $50+ mistake feel beter now
                              yeah i've cracked one of those little buggers mounting a tire before

Comment

Working...
                              X