How To: Remove ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Remove ECU

This is very easy to do only reason it took me 20 min to figure out is because it was dark lol

Tools needed: A small standers screwdriver.

First: Remove the battery cover

Second: Remove the clip holding the windshield washer filler neck in using the screw driver, and then just pull it out.

Third: locate the Red clips on the 3 harnesses and pull them up.

Forth: Press in the black tab just above the red clips and pull up on the lever. The easiest way is to push in with your thumb and use your pointer and middle finger to lift up.

Fifth: Once the lever is all the way up just wiggle the harness off, once all 3 are out just pull the ECU out. You can also pull the ECU out with the harnesses attached then taken them off just be careful not to pull on the wire to much.

When reinstalling make sure the 3 harnesses don't bunch up underneath where the ECU sits or it won’t seat all the way down.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

cool, with all the Vector tunes going around i am sure this will become a hot topic. is this trim level specific or universal?

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
      cool, with all the Vector tunes going around i am sure this will become a hot topic. is this trim level specific or universal?
      Good question, I've never seen a V6/GT engine bay, if the ECU looks the same then it’s the same. Can any of your GT/V6 guys confirm?
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Nice write up, only a matter of time before it would have been needed.

Comment

great write up, like previously said, its only a matter of time..
          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
            Good question, I've never seen a V6/GT engine bay, if the ECU looks the same then it’s the same. Can any of your GT/V6 guys confirm?
            The ECU on the V6/GT is a different type but it mounts the same way. They only thing that will look different is the electrical connectors are a different style but they disconnect pretty much the same way. Only differences are is they don't have the extra red lock so they are a little easier to get off and they are not all black in color like the ones on GTP/4 cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
              Originally posted by Blackrider
              The ECU on the V6/GT is a different type but it mounts the same way. They only thing that will look different is the electrical connectors are a different style but they disconnect pretty much the same way. Only differences are is they don't have the extra red lock so they are a little easier to get off and they are not all black in color like the ones on GTP/4 cylinder
              Thanks!
              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Newbie Question

Being a student of mostly older pre-computer cars, what is the ECU and what are the benefits of removing it?
                -The Dabbler

Comment

Re: Newbie Question

Originally posted by The Dabbler
                  Being a student of mostly older pre-computer cars, what is the ECU and what are the benefits of removing it?
                  the ECU is the computer that controls the car, the car won't run without it. people remove them to have them reprogrammed for better performance.

Comment

Re: Newbie Question

Originally posted by bristol16
                    Originally posted by The Dabbler
                    the ECU is the computer that controls the car, the car won't run without it. people remove them to have them reprogrammed for better performance.
                    Or there are companies who will send you a reprogrammed one and you send the old one back as a "core"... Theres a company called Vector Motorsports which I believe has one out for the GTP and the 4banger engines. Look in the performance section and there are a couple of threads on their product!
                    Originally posted by Toyz
                    Originally posted by simplyred
                    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Fun Fact :P The ECM for the 4 cylinder and the GTP are the same part. Different software but same hardware.

The transmission for both is controlled by TCM which is also same part - again different software.

The 3.5L uses a different (older) generation part which controls both Engine and Transmission.

Stuff changes for the 2007 model year but that is how 2006s are.

Comment

That is good info! I was woundering where the hell the ECM was, cuz in my old t-bird the ECU was in the passnger side kicker panel
                        2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                        Gotta have it Green color
                        Brembo brake package
                        420 HP 5.0L
                        Ford Racing Power Pack
                        GT500 track pack differential cover
                        BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                          Fun Fact :P The ECM for the 4 cylinder and the GTP are the same part. Different software but same hardware.

The transmission for both is controlled by TCM which is also same part - again different software.

The 3.5L uses a different (older) generation part which controls both Engine and Transmission.

Stuff changes for the 2007 model year but that is how 2006s are.
                          Thats good news because it'll make it easyer to find core ECU's
                          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

does vector motorsports have a website?
                            Check Out My Internet Radio Show, Streaming At www.live365.com/stations/erndawg101

Or Download The Podcast Of Each Show at www.inthewolvesden.com

Comment

http://www.gtoshiftlight.com
                              2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                              :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                              :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                              :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Working...
                              X