Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-To: Hardwire GPS to power on with car (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Hardwire GPS to power on with car (lots of pics)

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 and was tired of having to power it on/off myself every time I got in and out of my car. I decided to hardwire another cigarette lighter that would be hidden and powered on when the car started. You could follow these steps to power anything on/off with the car that uses the 12v cigarette lighter power.

I picked up a cigarette power extension(I forget where haha, but they're anywhere like radioshack, walmart, etc for around $5.00. Cut off the male end of the plug, split and strip the wires to about 1/2" - 3/4".

First we have to find a power source that turns on and off with the ignition. The fuses are behind the panel on the passenger side. Pull the cover to remove it. It is only held with a bit of velcro on the back. I've circled my two attachment points. The large bolt is good for a ground, and the fuse up top gives power to the sunroof/heated seats which power on with the car. (The white wire is for my remote turn-on of my amp for my subs, if you're wondering)

The cigarette lighters are polarized and MUST be wired up properly or it won't work. If you have some kinda multimeter you could test to see if you've got it wired up right, but I had an old junk charger with a red led that lights up when it gets power. I just stuck it in and it didn't work at first. I wouldn't try this with my few-hundred-dollar gps as my test. Frying that would be bad. Swapped the wires and I was in business. Hard to see but the light is lit up here. **Remember to TURN YOUR CAR TO ACCESSORY POWER or you won't get any power to this fuse!**

Remove the wires and mark the positive wire with something. I used a bit of electrical tape.

Now decide where to hide this. What you're wiring and it's placement could affect this, but for accessibility I chose behind the dash panel on the driver's side. theres plenty of room and it's easy to take off. Just 3 clips hold it on so just pull it off.

I chose to zip tie the adapter to the plate on the side. **Note: After it was all said and done, I didn't have enough clearance to easily put the cover back on. It worked, but was very snug and I didn't like it. I ended up just sliding the part into the space and its working fine, this is up to you.

Now feed the wired in through the holes underneath to the bottom of the dash. I droppped down the lower dash cover(only 2 bolts towards the front, facing up to the dash) and ran the wire along there towards the center console, then bolted it back up. (Bad pic, but you get the idea) Check out those sweet red neons!

Now feed the wire through the center console. I fed some heavy electrical cable through first since it was more rigid, then taped the wires to it and pulled through.
    Driver's Side:

Passenger Side:

Now it's time to connect to our power source. I felt like pretending I was professional for once and crimped an end on the wire for the ground.

Loosen or remove the ground bolt and fasten your ground wire to that. I just pulled the fuse for the sunroof/heated seats, stuck the marked positive wire in, then replaced the fuse.

Now turn your key to accessory power and do your test for power. I plugged in my old charger and the light turned on, so I was good to go.

Here you can see the wires being fed through the space. The thin one is for my external microphone.

Kinda dark, but heres my power cord from the Garmin plugged into my new outlet.

I like this setup because:
    1) You don't have to cut the Garmin Cord.
    2) This will work for any accessory using 12v cigarette lighter power
    3) You can easily add more ports now by buying a cigarette lighter splitter with multiple female ends.
    4) No extra fuses are needed, because every cigarette adapter male end has one built in.

Good luck if anyone gives this a shot.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Re: How-To: Hardwire GPS to power on with car (lots of pics)

Holy crap I never thought about doing this, but it sure as hell would make my life easier. I'm going to do this the next time I get a day off. My cables are all over the passenger seat floor and it looks messy.
    Current: Kicker L7 12" with Sundown Amp, DrS CAB, GT-R Exhaust, 93 VMS ECU, red LED interior, 20% tint all around, blinging wheels, Red Calipers, tinted tails, angel eyes, 8000k HIDs, Eibachs Pro Springs, MPD Hood, custom mounted front door speakers

August East Coast Meet Thread

Comment

Nice write up man I will probably do this soon. Is there no easier way to test which wire from the extension cig lighter is pos or neg? I'd hate to test it on something and have it fry whatever I use.
      Blue Man Group

Comment

Well, the pin in the middle is positive, and the outside springed wings are negative, so if you'd take apart the male part and see where they're goin, then you could tell that way.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked
          Nice write up man I will probably do this soon. Is there no easier way to test which wire from the extension cig lighter is pos or neg? I'd hate to test it on something and have it fry whatever I use.
          Use a voltage tester. Even a wired up light will work. Touch one to ground then probe your contacts. Ground to ground will do nothing.
          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Don't have a voltage tester sadly
            Blue Man Group

Comment

^I keep one handy all the time!
              I'm also an electrician
              Nice How to.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Success! It was a nice day, I got off class and came home and decided to tackle this. Its a very, very easy process so don't get scared if you're weary about it.

Wicked - The extension cord I bought is an Optronics brand that I got at Wal-Mart. Once I stripped the wires, there were two smaller ones already marked (a red and a pink wire) and the red wire was the positive so I really didn't have to do any voltage testing.

Now I gotta do this same thing with my dad's Xterra before he decides to pay a dealership to it =\.
                Current: Kicker L7 12" with Sundown Amp, DrS CAB, GT-R Exhaust, 93 VMS ECU, red LED interior, 20% tint all around, blinging wheels, Red Calipers, tinted tails, angel eyes, 8000k HIDs, Eibachs Pro Springs, MPD Hood, custom mounted front door speakers

August East Coast Meet Thread

Comment

Woah! now that's cool! I'm planning on buying a GPS by the end of the summer... I'm gonna do that for sure! Thanks!
                  COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                  Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                  MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                  Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

i didnt see it mentioned but if you want to make sure that the fuse works to fuse the GPS make sure that you put the wire in the side of the fuse that doesnt have power with the key on.
                    do that by attatching a test light to ground and then probe each side of the fuse (with out the fuse in it)

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I used this same method to install my Harman Kardon Drive and Play. Awesome and easy installation solution thanks for the great idea!

Comment

I've been looking for this thread for awhile. I plan to wire up a smiliar adaptor for use for my phone (which is GPS-enabled) and plan to use this method.

Thanks for the write-up with pics! linking this one
                        "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                        ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                        SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

I did this with my zune and it works flawlessly. Even pauses the song when the doors are opened since the voltage is cut!

Very cool mod and makes things integrate with the car better.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Instead of just shoving the wire in the fuse location they make metal clips that can wrap around the fuse with a spade connector on the other end. Makes for a cleaner install and you don't have to worry about the wire falling/shorting out. Most car audio stores sell them for less than a dollar...

Comment

EVEN BETTER

I use those whenever I need to hardwire something, I currently have my radar detector hardwired with one and recommend them for everyone
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X