Interior Lights...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Lights...help!

ok my inexperience at this has finally got me frustrated. I'm trying to do some simple lighting under my dash with red LED's. I want them to basically mimick the dome light, ie: open the door, lights come on, close the door, lights slowly fade off. But I cant get it to cooperate. Has anyone else done this and if so, can they help me out? thnx!

You need to find the circuit that controls the interior lights, and patch into it.

I'm wiring my neons with an on/off switch on their own circuit. It just seems easier.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

There should be a fuse for those lights.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I've tried tapping the fuse in the fuse box but the fuse is always on, so the lights always stay on. and I pulled out the dome light and hooked the LEDs into it but they work oppositely, on when the dome light is off, off when the dome light is on.

Comment

Dome lights are controlled on on both the power and ground side. The Power side is fed by thru the Int Lamp fuse in the center IP fuse/relay location.

That fuse output goes thru a relay before going to lamps so that the vehicle can shut off any interior lighting if you forget to turn off the lights. Under most situations the power side to lamps is always "hot".

The ground side is how your dome lamps are actually turned on. When you open a door the body computer grounds the lamps. When it turns them off it "pulse-width modulates" the output to get the fading effect.

So you could likely try tapping into these circuits either at the center IP fuse block or in the left rear fuse block in the trunk since both circuits are found in both locations.

Since you are trying to add lamps under dash likely the center IP block should be the one you try using. Red connector. Power in cavity "A3" orange wire. Lamp ground in cavity "A10" gray wire.

Are those the locations you tried?

Comment

ehh. sounds complicated. I'd rather just run a wire from the dome lights under the headliner, down along the A-pillar, and under the dash.
            -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
              Since you are trying to add lamps under dash likely the center IP block should be the one you try using. Red connector. Power in cavity "A3" orange wire. Lamp ground in cavity "A10" gray wire.
              that completely worked! thanks a bunch, lights are mounted and working! :warped:

Comment

Yessssss finally a chance to use it!
                Originally posted by Toyz
                Originally posted by simplyred
                what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                  :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                  :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                  :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Originally posted by cdiddy67
                    that completely worked! thanks a bunch, lights are mounted and working! :warped:
                    At least this person knew what I was talking about

Comment

yea cuz I'm still lost lol
                      -Mike #1

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                        yea cuz I'm still lost lol
                        NP but that is what happens when an engineer tries to answer a question :P

Comment

Stupid engineers!

Don't you know that you need to dumb down things for the rest of us?!?

sigpic
                          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Interior Lights

I have 2 - 12" Red LED bars installed, as well as my map and dome lights....My entire interior is RED to match my gauges...you can see them here...

http://www.myspace.com/7985925

Comment

I put 2- 15" neon tubes up under my dash, it matches the red lights i have in my dome/map lights.

As for wiring, I ran the cords down along the inside of the fire wall, under the carpets and seats and in through the grooves on the side of the glove box... I hooked them up to the cigarette lighter that is hidden inside.

So basically, an easy 10 min job that doesn't change anything permanently AND keeps the wires out of sight.

granted, I have to manualy switch it on... when I have more time, I will wire it into something more permanent
                              Originally posted by TLS2000
                              Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                              GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Working...
                              X