Seafoam - anyone used it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafoam - anyone used it?

well i've heard many great things about Seafoam for the past few years, and recently a friend of mine that drives an EVO VIII is very knowledgable about cars and is starting his career as a mechanic in the automotive business told me to try out seafoam and clean all that carbon out of my car. He told me it worked great in his but i was just wondering if anyone has used it, if it's done wonders to you car, and if you could give me any tips on how to use it :P
    18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Re: Seafoam - anyone used it?

In all seriousiness, i dont think you need it on a 2007 model car yet.
    I dont think i ever heard of using it on a car that had less then 50,000 miles on it.

Oh and if you do use it, find a road that isnt heavily traveled. You will be leaving a smoke screen behind your car
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

for an '07 it already has 36k miles on it! It was a rental car in California before i owned it and had 29k miles on it already :P
      18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Never heard of it. And I agree, I don't think you'd need to use something like that so soon. It sounds like something you'd use on a car that has over 100K miles on it or something.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

A lot of the guys in my local car group started using it the past couple years.

As someone mentioned, you need to find a pretty vacant area to do it in, as a localized fog zone will develop soon after you start.

As someone else mentioned, it's almost useless to use it on a newer car. These guys were using it on 2000 grand prixs and stuff, not 06 G6's.

You'd most certainly not notice a bit of difference to use it to on a newer car.
          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

I used it in all 3 cars I've owned, but they all had 50,000 miles or more before I started. It does different things depending on where you put it in. The most common is to pour a can into the gas tank, and it helps clean up all the parts. You can also put it directly into the crankcase and a couple of other places. It's about $7 a can here, but good stuff.
            Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.
            Originally posted by schenko
            If I could have a woody, I would.

Comment

Good stuff for cleaning injectors and fuel lines.

Also will remove carbon deposits on the combustion chambers but you will need a vaccum line to the manifold and have someone revving the engine. I recommend to chang the plugs afterwards.
              Will clean the oil passages and internals perfectly, but dont race you engine with it. Idle to operating temp and change oil.

For a newer car, it will do little difference,if any, at all

Comment

I've used it before on the 6 already. I think twice already. I also am approaching 60K miles. I've only done it through the gas tank though so far to clean the injectors.

Comment

If you are that worried about it, find a mechanic that has an "engine vac".. That will help clear out any concerns you may have.
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

i am not worried about it, i just wanted to know if anyone here has used it, and when i did try it out if anybody could give me some tips on how to do it :P

Comment

Use a funnel. Unless your really quick, it'll spill.
                      Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.
                      Originally posted by schenko
                      If I could have a woody, I would.

Comment

I use Seafoam on my motorcycles, as directed on the can to treat the gas, mainly in the wintertime when it does not get as many miles. It probably does a great job of keeping everything clean. I would not hesitate to use it in cars too. Wallace in Georgia

Comment

Seafoam is a great product. I use it on my motorcycles, snowblower, and lawnmower. It does a great job of removing varnish from carbs and injectors. I highly recommend using in on any carbureted engine, especially as a stabalizer for winter storage. If you follow the directions on usage you shouldnt get much of a white smoke, but for those "agressive" cleanings you will upset the neighbors.

Comment

jesus I almost want to throw a can in mine with 30k miles just to put up a smoke screen lol!!
                            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

HAHA On a full tank of gas on the sixer you prob wouldnt notice much smoke at all. Put it in when your on "E" and woohoo, watch the smoke fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X