Run a microphone to stock OnStar location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run a microphone to stock OnStar location

I don't have the OnStar service, but I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 that can sync with my phone over bluetooth. I bought their external microphone (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1445) And decided to run it to the space for the microphone behind the map lights.

Not the most difficult thing, but I figured I'd post pics anyway. Sorry they look like crap haha. Usually my phone take pretty good pics, not sure what happened.

I have my nuvi mounted in the driver's side corner. You can run the wires up along the pillar here. The thicker wire is the power cable which I'm going to hardwire in to free up my cigarette lighter and allow on/off with the car, but thats a spring project.

While you could remove the entire covering to run the wire, it will stay in place just fine under the rubber weather stripping here. Just pull it back a little to get the wire started, then run it the whole way up. This will make it way easier in case you ever want to remove the thing.

At the top, I just wedged the wire under the pillar. Some blunt rounded object is needed to help push it under. I wouldn't use something like a screwdriver since it could punch a hole in the thin wire. I use the end of one of the mounting clips that came with the mic and it worked fine

Pull off the plastic cover from the visor mount and take out the screw. This will let you pull down the headliner enough to get the microphone through and feed the wire in. Keep one of those extender magnet screw-picker-upper things handy because as you're working overhead you will lose this screw in between the seat and armrest. Collect around $0.75 from there while you search for the screw.

The maplight section is two parts. You want to remove the center section and leave the outer ring in place. Its easy enough to just pry with your fingers from the front gently. 2 clips hold that in place and then you can work your way back. Be careful because you'll need to disconnect the sunroof button before you can take the whole piece down. This is a good time to clean out all the nasty bugs that have collected in there. I found it helpful to pull the driver's side maplight button forward. It just clips into place, so pull it towards you and it should easily come out and give you some more room to fiddle around in there.

Hooray for hidden microphones!

My kit came with 3 different types of mounts. This one was the best and has an adhesive backing. I was going to just stick it to the cover, but decided to use a tiny screw and bolt it to the raised up spacers. Then you can aim it down a bit more towards the driver.

Hope that helps if anyone wants to do this.

The only issue I'm having is that people are saying they're hearing some extra noise now. I think its picking up the sound of the air going past the roof as I drive. I'm going to try a little dynamat or something similar around the microphone so it will only be getting the sound from the car interior.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Re: Run a microphone to stock OnStar location

BUMP!

Did you ever get rid of the static noise? And if so, how'd you do it? Dynamat? I am thinking about doing this, but, I have a Pano sunroof, which probibly means wind noise + pops and clicks

Great write up by the way (I meant to say this a year ago, but, forgot )

Comment

Originally posted by gwiz
      BUMP!

Did you ever get rid of the static noise? And if so, how'd you do it? Dynamat? I am thinking about doing this, but, I have a Pano sunroof, which probibly means wind noise + pops and clicks

Great write up by the way (I meant to say this a year ago, but, forgot )
      Haha, thanks. Better late than never I suppose.

Well, people were telling me it was sounding a little muffled when it was behind that panel. If you'd mess with the microphone direction a little you could probably get it perfect to where it wouldn't be such a problem.

I also never tried any dynamat. That was also a big issue. The wind noise whooshing past the car was picked up a little I guess. I still think dynamat would have fixed that problem pretty well. Maybe would have even fixed the issue of it sounding muffled. Maybe "muffled" was actually because of the other noise, I dunno.

Either way, I ended up running the microphone completely out of the cover. One of the microphone attachment pieces it come with clipped right under the housing really well. Now all you can see is just the mic pointing down at me(which is cool, because people ask me what it is and I can tell them how cool I am with my speakerphone all wired up )

I'll see if I can find a pic showing how it is now.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Comment

Oh, and when I say wind noise, I mean from wind blowing past the roof of the car when the sunroof is closed. If you're talking about using it when the roof is open its never gonna happen. I always have to close my windows and roof if I'm using the speakerphone.

Comment

Originally posted by scuba264
          Oh, and when I say wind noise, I mean from wind blowing past the roof of the car when the sunroof is closed. If you're talking about using it when the roof is open its never gonna happen. I always have to close my windows and roof if I'm using the speakerphone.
          Yeah, I figured that I have to close my Pano roof just to make/receive calls

Well, I haven't bought a bluetooth kit yet (and I don't have a GPS), but, I will by a bluetooth kit soon, and I think I'm going to try a wire it up with the microphone hidden. I'll keep everyone posted. Otherwise, I'll just do what you did, and have the microphone clipped on the outside.

Comment

Working...
          X