How To: Fix Sunroof Drain Tubes, Stop Wet Seatbelts, Carpets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Fix Sunroof Drain Tubes, Stop Wet Seatbelts, Carpets

Ok, so this is basically what I just found out. I, like a few other members on this forum, have had the notorious problem of water wetting the seatbelts and rear carpeting. The problem? It seems the sunroof water drain tubes can become dislodged from where water collects under the sunroof, thus allowing the water to leak down behind the side pillars.

Today I dismantled most of the headliner and side/rear panels to see if I could find these drain tubes and see what I could to do fix the problem. (Note, as of this how-to, this problem seems to be for coupes with sunroofs, I have no idea how the sedans are hooked up). It hasn't rained yet, so I can't confirm that this fixed the problem 100%, but after seeing those tubes dislodged, it was only obvious.

First, I just want to mention how bad of a design this is. If you look on both sides of your trunk, behind the side carpeting, you can see the drainage tubes. On my car, the driver side had a black tube, and the passenger side had a white tube. They run down the side of the trunk and appear to drain out the sides into the fenderwells. Why is this a bad design? Well, do you really want tubes with running water in them flowing right by the Monsoon amp (if equipped) and the fuse box on the other side? Didn't think so. Anyway, on to my discoveries!

To get at the tubes, you'll need to remove some stuff. So climb in the back seat with the following:
    -Small flat head screwdriver
    -Phillips screwdriver
    -1/4" star wrench (allen wrench, torque wrench whatever you call it), You'll also need a really small one, not sure what size because the size wasn't printed on it it was so damn small.
    -Long flat-head screwdriver
    -Some clamps, 4 to be super-sure. (yes, you want this fixed for good right?)
    -Zip ties (optional)

1. First you'll have to remove the side panels. Pop out the little panels right at the door edge to reveal two screws. Take those out. Now you can pull the back side panels away from the side of th car a bit.

2. Take off the plastic shroud around the seatbelt to reveal the bolt behind it. You can pry it off with the small screwdriver. Next, pop out the little rectangle panel above that, revealing a small screw. Also, remove the coat hangers: pry at the top of the rectangular panel on the hanger to pop it down. Now unscrew everything. (The seatbelt bolt may be a little tight, but it will come out, this used the 1/4" allen wrench.)

Now just pull the panel off.

3. Now you'll have to take off those rear panels, next to each speaker on the rear deck. Just pop them off, but don't pull them all the way off. They're attached to the side panel by some rubber thing, so just pop it off until you can move the panels down.

4. Now pull the rear of the headliner down. There are three clips near the rear window on top. Just pull them down. If you're leaking, this is what you may see:

Driver side:

Passenger side:

You can see the green rubber pieces that are attached to the sunroof, and then the black tube on the driver side that has dislodged from it, and the white tube on the passenger side that has dislodge as well. You want to get those tubes back into the green rubber pieces on the sunroof. The problem? There is hardly any slack, and once you put the tubes in, they are very likely to pop right back out, which is why many of you have visited the dealership multiple times for this problem.

Hopefully, my idea will solve the problem for good.

5. Clamp them up! Yes! Use clamps! My damn camera died after I took the previous pics, so I couldn't get pics of the clamps, but once you see how everything is set up up there, you'll be able to put clamps on if you've come this far.

Just get some small clamps, put them around the green rubber pieces. Slip the tube in as far as it will go. You can get a teeny bit more slack if you move the tube from under the bracket that the coat hangers screw into, to above that bracket. Also, the green clip that holds the tubes up nearest to the sunroof can be slid back a bit (towards the rear of the car), to get some more slack too.

Now, once you push the tubes in as far as they can go, clamp them down! Not too tight though, you don't want to pinch them. Get them nice and snug so that they don't pull out.

If you want to be extra cautious, get some clamps for where the green rubber pieces attach to the sunroof. Clamp that end down as well. I did it on the passenger side only , so we'll see if the driver side still leaks anymore.

Also, if you'd like, you can zip-tie the tubes to the coat hanger brackets for a little extra security.

6. If things are a little damp behind the panels, now's a good time to take out a blowdryer and hold it behind there for a few minutes, to dry things up a bit.

7. Reassemble the headliner, rear panels, side panels, and you're done!

I'm going to report back after it rains how everything worked out. Hopefully my problem will be solved. This process is a bit more involved, but it only took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. So if you like doing things yourself, and have a knack for taking things apart, this is a lot better than waiting at the dealership for hours or days, then possibly having to go back because those stupid tubes came out again! Enjoy.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Nice write up, I was curious to how it looked in there. Figures that there isn't much slack, and I hope they fixed this on a later date.

Do you know when you car was built?

Comment

June 2005.
      -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

ok so we had a HEAVY rain storm all night, and wouldn't you know it, the passenger seatbelt was soaked again and water was dripping down the sides underneath the trim panels. I get in the back seat, pull down the headliner, and the freakin' tube became dislodged again! Time to do it the right way!

I ripped the entire headliner down. It turns out there is a tube on the other side as well, that runs down the A-pillar and I imagine out under the fenderwell. I don't think we really have to worry about those coming off though, they're on pretty good and there's nothing pulling on it like there are the tubes that run to the rear.

So this time I was able to really get at the tubes, push them in as far as they could go, and tighten down the clamps even tighter. I don't think that one clamp was too tight from the last time, that's why it popped off. Hopefully my problem is solved for good now!
        -Mike #1

Comment

Could maybe put some appropriate glue in there to hold it and seal it too. Sounds like a real pain.

Comment

I think mine disconnected.. i noticed it leaking from the little square under the mount to the seatbelt.. anything?
            Stealth Grey G6 GT Coupe::Flowmaster duals with GTP valence:: Luminics Lows and Fogs::

Comment

fixed it

Hey good news, i had this problem with the leak and its been to the dealership once already and it just rained like hell this week so i noticed it again. it got worse. both sides were wet so i was pissed. i had to have the car for work and im not very patient with the dealership so i decided to rip the ceiling down and clamp it up myself. I went to Home Depot and bought two little pipe clamps with the screws on them and just pushed the tubes in there as far as i could and tighened them. I noticed one thing for anyone who is thinking about doin this, DONT tighten the clamps too much or you'll deform the green rubber thing and it will open up a little hole and let water through. Anyways, thanks for the how-to it was extrememly helpful. Hopefully this problem will be solved for awhile.

Later
              -John
              '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Yea! This just happened to me yesterday. Thought it was just the seatbelts, but found the rear floors were damp too. Plus the car instantly lost it's new car smell, opting for a much more unpleasant water damage odor.

Got a question about the fix.

If the image above is correct, is that white piece hard and the tubing rubber? And if so, how would putting a clamp on it hold the tube inside it? Instead of using a clamp, could I just stick the tube in and then put a silicon sealant around it? Do you think that would hold instead of using a clamp?

Comment

dont see why that wouldnt work, but very risky

Comment

same problem been to the dealership 3 times no luck... they even replaced
                    my carpet for me, so those out there wanting new carpet nows your chance.
                    this is GM's problem not mine they will have to fix this or give me a new car.
                    I don't think they want to deal with State Farm...
                    Thanks for the post and details should have looked a long time ago....

Comment

I've got this same problem in my car. I think I'm going to take it to the dealer rather than try to fix it myself.
                      ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

I took my car in yesterday. Whaddaya know, it was a problem with the drain tube.

Here's what they wrote:
                        Diag and water tested- found the LR drain tube for the sunroof out of the rubber nipple that slides onto the LR outlet. Removed the headliner to gain access. Repositioned plastic drain tube and reclamped. Reinstalled the plastic tube in to the rubber nipple and glued the tube to the rubber nipple. Wire tied rubber nipple to outlet of the sunroof housing. Rewater tested for leaks and none found. Reinstalled the headliner.

Sounds like they tried to do a good job of preventing it from happening again so hopefully it doesn't come back to haunt me. I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen on the passenger side too though.
                        ***ROSEY - 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT, GT-R, Doctor Speed Cold Air Box. Click below for more***

Comment

rewater tested?

Originally posted by TLS2000
                          Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                          GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

I thought the same thing.

Comment

Well since it's raining Clint, you'll find out if they water test works.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X