Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Anti-Theft (Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Anti-Theft (Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch)

First off I just want to say thanks to GT-R for the idea and the help he provided.

***NOTE***
    I am not responsible for any damage caused by this mod! Do this at your own risk!

Purpose: This switch will toggle the fuel pump off and on by bypassing it's fuse. No fuel pump, no can drive the car. If you're ever in one of those ghetto areas where you feel your car could get stolen, this will come in handy. The car might sputter a few feet but they won't get very far.

Difficulty: 4-ish (depends on your knowledge)

Time: 45 minutes (give or take)

Materials:
    - 20 feet (a little more wouldn't hurt) of 12 gauge wire (Click For Pic)
    - 1 mini fuse holder (Click For Pic)
    - 2 Crimp Butt Connectors (Click For Pic)
    - 4 Female Disconnects (Click For Pic)
    - 1 (15 amp) Mini Fuse (Click For Pic)
    - 2 Mini Fuse Taps (Click For Pic)

First you're going to need to blow the 15 amp fuse. The way I did this is definitely not the safest or smartest way to do this, so if you can find another safer way to overload the fuse do it your way. What I did was attach the wire to one prong on the fuse and touch the other end of the wire to the negative terminal, then touch the opposite prong to the positive terminal. It will definitely spark and possibly melt part of the prong on the fuse. After that attach the fuse taps to the two prongs on the fuse.

After this everything is pretty straight forward. Here is a map to show you how to wire everything up:

After everything is wired correctly, locate the fuel pump fuse (it's in the trunk fuse panel) and remove it. Replace it with the blown fuse (that should now be connected to the toggle switch.)

Here are pictures of how I wired mine up...

The fuse panel with the blown fuse, female disconnects, and fuse taps:

The Mini Fuse Holder with the good fuse in it that you pulled from the panel:

The Crimp Butt Connecter connecting the Fuse Holder:

This is where I wired my switch to:

The astray:

The switch in the astray:

Connecting the switch:

The finished product:

As you can see it's only visible from eye level. So if anyone just opens up the astray while sitting in the driver's seat it will just look like an empty astray. And that's it, you're finished! Just make sure you crimp all of you're connections to make sure they don't come loose.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or ask in this thread!
    Blue Man Group

Re: How To: Anti-Theft (Fuel Pump Shut Off Switch)

Not bad! You should tidy up the trunk by running the wires behind the lining. It's easy to pull the lining back to do it.

Comment

Thanks! Will do
      Blue Man Group

Comment

Nicely done man, I like where you put the switch.

Comment

Thank you!
          Blue Man Group

Comment

Good job. Thanks for posting a Howto:
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Nice job !!

Comment

nice how to wicked. clever place to put the switch!

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                Show
                -20% tint
                -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Thanks guys
                  Blue Man Group

Comment

yea man, Very good idea. did you come up with this yourself? I've seen renditions of the fuel pump cut-off, but this is the most straight forward and most useful one that I've seen. good work.

- Alpine IVA-w505 7" DVD with built in Blackbird GPS
                    - JL 1000.1 Amp
                    - JL 12" W7
                    - 10% Front Tint, 5% Rear

Comment

nice work wicked! :P

but uh, I hope that whoever steals your car isn't on this forum cause then they would know about your switch plus where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubbzzz
                        yea man, Very good idea. did you come up with this yourself? I've seen renditions of the fuel pump cut-off, but this is the most straight forward and most useful one that I've seen. good work.
                        Thanks! But, no it was GT-R's idea. I just implemented it

And newbie, I'm one of the like 3 members on this board in Hawaii
                        Blue Man Group

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked
                          Originally posted by Dubbzzz
                          Thanks! But, no it was GT-R's idea. I just implemented it

And newbie, I'm one of the like 3 members on this board in Hawaii
                          well your car is quite awesome and highly desirable so you never know...

And I suppose if they do steal it, where are they gonna go? you live on an island. Drive long enough and you end up back where you started.

Comment

hey wicked where did you get that toggle switch. i like the style of that one. i havent looked for one yet. i just figure id ask if you got it at a store that i might have too to save a trip cuz radioshack doesnt have them i dont think.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                            TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                            Show
                            -20% tint
                            -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                            -Professionally heated seats

Comment

I got it from radioshack
                              Blue Man Group

Comment

Working...
                              X