eyelids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyelids

This may seem like an awful simple task to be asking questions about, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to install a set of vinyl eyelids without creating any bubbles. I tried a set before and it ended in disaster. I pealed them off and bought another set and I thought I would seek help before I tried this again.
    Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Re: eyelids

yeah its pretty simple.....

dont apply eyelids directly to the headlight. fist clean them good with glass cleaner..then after you dry them spray a good layer of glass cleaner on the headlight and place the eyelids on the headlight....at this point you will have some bubbles but you can use a credit card to push out any water bubbles.

ive found this overall application for vinyl is very easy and allows for removal if placement isnt just right the first time.

Comment

^

When i made my eyelids, I also started from the center of the headlight and worked my way out to both ends to ensure proper alignment and no air bubbles.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I think that the window cleaner was a big piece of the puzzle that I was missing. Now I just need to scrape up a half an hour some were.

Comment

you can also use soapy water to.. thats what i did... put down the water and placed the lids on the headlights and pushed out the bubbles and then i let them dry out in the sun for a few hours
          2006 Black GTP Coupe, One of the First Hammerhead Spoilers on here. Gm Strut Bar, Doctor Speed CAB and Stage 4 . Black out upper grille and black logos, Tinted Black Euro's, Painted black Headlights with blacked out corners and Led's,10,000 K HID Low-Beams, GT-R Cat-Back Exhaust System,Racingline performance moto mounts inserts, power slot rotors and hawks.Eclipse 4 channel amp powering Alpine Type-S speakers, 93 oct tune, GM HSRK, RaceineLinePerformance Ground Kit.

Comment

Yeah I'm slow in responding to this, but I never saw it.

I do NOT recommend glass cleaner!! The chemicals will not all come from behind the vinyl and will affect the glue of the vinyl. It will also affect the paint beneath the vinyl. The manufacturer does NOT recommend this type of application. They do recommend either application fluids like 'Rapid Tac' or something along that line, or soapy water. I don't like Rapid Tac (or any of the others) when I do wet applications. I Use a couple drops of dish detergent soap (like Dawn) with a spray bottle of water.

I did my eyelids dry though - on objects that mold & bend, the edges will less likely peel up with a dry application.

Once you've removed the backing, hold both ends of the vinyl above the headlight taught. Tack the outer edge (lining up with the body molding) and hold the other end ABOVE where you want it to lay and keep it taught (don't try to lay both sides at once). Once you have the outside edge on 1 side tacked & in place where it aligns well, you can use your thumb to slowly lay the vinyl working from the edge that was tacked in place, manipulating the vinyl to conform to the headlight. Work all the way to the other end. If tracking goes off a little, you can peel back and re-lay the vinyl. It will stretch and conform depending on how much you tug and pull. As long as your other hand holding the other end is still in place to end properly, and you keep it taught, you will be able to manipulate the vinyl to where you want it to lie.

If you happen to get a bubble along the way, you can just pull it back up to that point and begin again at that point. If you get a bubble that you just cant go back to and get out (if you've gone too far ahead to turn back now) then you can take a needle and pop the bubble in the center, and squish it from the ouside in - working toward the hole you created.

Hope this helps

Comment

Where can I get a set of eyelids for my EB G6?

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

nikki is all knowing.. dont listen to the rest of us

Comment

Originally posted by G6GIRLNJ
                    nikki is all knowing.. dont listen to the rest of us
                    I dunno about that.

But I do know VINYL.

Comment

Originally posted by schenko
                      I dunno about that.But I do know VINYL.
                      Oh?

EDIT
                      Thats a no no Bryan. This is a work safe thread.
                      ElecBlueG6GT

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                      Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

All I remember when doing mine was that it was wet and soapy. It's amazing how it still sticks to the headlight after being so wet.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Thanks Nikki.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                            All I remember when doing mine was that it was wet and soapy. It's amazing how it still sticks to the headlight after being so wet.

sounds perverse

Comment

Originally posted by earlbaer
                              Thanks Nikki.
                              You're more than welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X