Unique Coatings HID Install How-To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Coatings HID Install How-To

Hey G6'ers, i want to provide a how-to on how to install my HID kits, since i dont feel that the supplied instructions are nearly adequate from the manufacturer (although i will be creating my own soon).

This will be a step by step how-to on how to install my digital ballast kits.

Step 1)
    Your HID kit will arrive in a steel case for protection during shipping:

Step 2)
    Open the case and inspect for any shipping damage or missing parts. Here is what the inside of the case will look llike:

Step 3) Remove the inner liner. The brackets for the ballasts are stored underneath:

Step 4) Lay all of your parts out. You should have (2) HID bulbs/wiring (2) digital ballasts (2) mounting brackets (1) relay harness (1) pack of zip ties, and (1) pack of mounting hardware. The relay harness is not needed for this install on the G6, it may be set aside.

Here is a picture of the relay wiring kit. It is not needed, set it aside:

Step 5) On the backside of your headlight, remove the bulb cover as shown:

Step 6) Remove the stock bulb and disconnect it from the harness:

Step 7) Remove the plastic screw-on protective housing from the HID bulb. You will have to also remove the plastic o-ring spacer over the top of the bulb and set it aside.

Step 8 ) With the HID bulb and wiring laid out, you will note 2 spade connectors, one a black wire (negative), and a blue wire (positive). Install these into the stock male plug from which you just removed the stock bulb from. Black goes to black, Blue goes to yellow.

With the spade connectors installed in OEM bulb wiring plug:

A better view:

Step 9) Install the quick connect plugs from the bulbs to the ballast wiring as shown:

Step 10)
    Plug the male bulb quick cohttp://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/p ... =post&f=29
    G6 Performance • Post a new topicnnect into the ballast:

Step 11) Here is a view of the ballast wiring installed:

Step 12) A slit will need to be made here to run the bulb wiring into the back of the headlight. It should be noted that this will need to be done prior to installing the ballast wiring.

Here is a picture of how the ballast will be hooked up after all wiring is completed:

Finally, mount the bracketry to a secure location on the vehicle- typically, the radiator core support or strut tower are ideal places, depending on vehicle:

That's it.

The plug and play capability of this kit makes the install time about 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish. For someone not mechanically inclined, I would suggest enrolling the help of a friend to help prevent any damage to the vehicle or wiring system.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your HID kit!
    Chad
    Unique Coatings
    http://www.uniquecoatings.co

Customizing in Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights, Color Matched Headlights, Angel Eye Upgrade Kits, HID Xenon Conversions, HID Retrofits, VentureShield Paint Protection

Re: Unique Coatings HID Install How-To

In step 12 when putting a slit in the grommet to run the wires through, it left a place where air and moisture can seep through... This probably needs to be sealed off some how.
    My Car Domain
    Vector 93 ECM/TCM Dyno tune, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50/18 , RacingLine Motor Mounts & Strut Bar, R1 Premium drilled rotors, Custom Exhaust w/ 4" tips, Inchannel Rain Guards, Crabs CAB & Front Pipe Upgrade, GXP rear bumper, 15% Ceramic Tint, Blue Calipers, Blue Dart Overlays, Upper Window & Lower Grill Chrome, Side GTP Emblems, Chrome Door Locks, 8k HID Head & Fogs, Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Door Speakers

Comment

I use "Goop" brand sealant because it stays flexible even after drying.

Otherwise, your best option (if you're comfortable with it) would be to cut out the back cap and install the rubber grommet that was supplied with the kit.

That is actually what i recommend doing, but if you make a small incision in the existing grommet, and seal it properly, you should have no issues.
      Chad
      Unique Coatings

Customizing in Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights, Color Matched Headlights, Angel Eye Upgrade Kits, HID Xenon Conversions, HID Retrofits, VentureShield Paint Protection

Comment

Do the length of the HID bulbs interfere with the chrome piece inside the housing? (the piece that doesnt allow too much foward lighting, or deflect lighting)

Comment

Originally posted by GTPCoupe240
          Do the length of the HID bulbs interfere with the chrome piece inside the housing? (the piece that doesnt allow too much foward lighting, or deflect lighting)
          no there is no clearance issue with the reflector.
          Chad
          Unique Coatings

Comment

Chad, do you know if the install will be the same on an 05 GP, will I need the relay wiring kit?

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

My first set didn't come with a steel case

This is a good write up though! Thanks Chad!

Comment

Damn that case is sick!

Worth the cost right there!

Keith

__________________________________________________ _________________
                Current Mods:e-badged, Re-q5, Custom sub console, Tinted Tails, Custom fiberglass woofer box. 2 Memphis PR's
                In Progress:: Katskinz... Half way there! Painted trim

Comment

My first set of HIDS i bought from chad came with the awesome case but the second set didn't.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

Working...
                  X