changing radiator fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing radiator fluid

Ok so i searched and couldnt find anything on this subject. So anyway is there a drain plug on the G6 so that you can drain out the fluid in the situation of changing it. My old mazda had one on the left lower part of the radiator, and i can't seem to find one on the G6 anywhere, it's either very well hidden or there isn't one, or the dealer has to perform the change, which i hope thats not the situation. Some help or answers please, thanks in advance.
    2006 G6 V6 with custom CAI, 18" ADR rims mounted on nexen rubber, rear G6 decal on 3rd taillight, HID 8500k, lower front chrome, window tint, custom exhaust for now, brembo rear rotors with hawk pads

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2973990

pull off the lower radiator hose thatll drain it (yes im serious)
    y do you want to drain it since it should be good for 150k miles or 5or 10(i forget which at the moment) years

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

yeah well, that will definetly work.
      I was just curious i was bored outside today and started peeking around under the hood and saw that i couldnt find a drain plug.
      2006 G6 V6 with custom CAI, 18" ADR rims mounted on nexen rubber, rear G6 decal on 3rd taillight, HID 8500k, lower front chrome, window tint, custom exhaust for now, brembo rear rotors with hawk pads

Comment

The Dex-cool fluid in our cars is suppose to be good for 5 years or 150k miles. There should be no need to change it this early.

Comment

It's true that Dex Cool should be good for better than 100k miles but after 30k it starts to gel up a little almost like jello. If you want to keep your cooling system from gelling solid then I would suggest flushing it every 30k. But thats my opinion, I could be wrong.
          Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the vehicle.
          Over-steer is when you hit the wall with the ass end of the vehicle.
          Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
          Torque is how far you take the wall with you!!!!

"Be careful where you go. Remember where you've been. Thats the way I see it. I'm a Simple Man....." - Charlie Daniels

Comment

This is funny.
            Im close to 58K miles and yesterday I got a Coolant Low message accross my DIC.

So I check it. It had plenty so I topped it off w/some prestone but in doing so I noticed that the crap thats in there has a cream colored coating all over the interior plastic. I had to wipe that crap off the bottom of the screw lid.

I wasnt happy with how it looked.
            I think I will drain mine too.

Since that resevoir is above the radiator your just going to be draining that and not the radiator.

I wonder if there is a way to drain it at the bottom of the radiator.
            hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

there should be a drain plug. I have never seen a car without one. Check the drive side of the rad, and feel around for a little plastic wing nut. I know they can be a pain in the ass to find sometimes, but i will take a look here in a moment, when i decided to put pants on. and as far as dexcool is concerned, NEVER leave that in your car for more than 30K. I have heard stories of it becoming corrosive after a while, and it will gel up. Ex-cavalier owner here, and they had the WORST coolant system of any car, and dex cool has been blamed for a lot of the cavys problems. Also I dont think you are supposed to mix dex cool with any other fluid as that can cause it to gel. unless it says specifically on the bottle GM dex cool certified.
              2007 G6 GT Coupe 3.9L 6 speed MT
              -Custom CAI

"All I wanted me was a little cornbread you motherf**kers! All I wanted me was a little cornbread"

Comment

The whole underside there is covered with that plastic "skid plate" kinda thing....not sure what its called.

When the ground dries up good later today (raining yesterday)
                then I will look.

Unless someone else here has the answer...?

MODS:

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                  pull off the lower radiator hose thatll drain it (yes im serious)
                  Isn't that the answer?

Comment

that answer is like Oz.

We just need to find the yellow brick road to get there.

MODS:

Comment

yeah you can do that,but thats not the proper way.and i dont know about you but i like to control where my fluid lands, somethign about how the majority of Texas water comes from underground makes me a little nervous as to fluid runoff
                      -Custom CAI

"All I wanted me was a little cornbread you motherf**kers! All I wanted me was a little cornbread"

Comment

All my water comes from my WELL!!!
                        So I dont spill a thing. Although sometimes I will piss on a tree.
                        Makes em grow faster.

MODS:

Comment

hahaha You know your from Texas if you would rather open the front door and piss than walk the 20-30 ft to the bathroom. (I grew up in the middle of nowhere, closest neighbor was abotu a mile away) I was at my bros house in Cyprus the other week and I kid you not he just opens up the door and starts pissing everywhere, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SUBURBS! haha, as for the drain plug...I put my pants on, and the front of my car is over some big ass oil puddle, probably from one of those cool little ricers in the parking lot . and im' too lazy to move it. so it will have to be a bit before i head back out there.

and the weather today is deceiving. Looks like its 70ish..NOPE somewhere in the 40's!
                          -Custom CAI

Comment

OK. Found it. If you pop your hood and look straight down the far driver side of the radiator. you will see the black plastic wingnut to drain the coolant. You'll just have to hook your hand around the plast and trist it a little. Now keep in mind that these arent screws. Generally speaking as i have not removed this one, but usually they only take a 1/4 turn. then pull straight out. Hope that helps.
                            -Custom CAI

Comment

Well good i knew it was down there. I have 52,000+ miles on my car it looks like piss shit brown, and it also has that creamy shit around the reseivor that lampoon was talking about. Thanks again. I never leave antifreeze or dex- cool longer than 30,000 miles either on my cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X