Bumper to Bumper Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper to Bumper Scratch

OK, it was my fault. I backed into someone and smacked the bumper on the corner.

How should I properly buff that out? It looks like it didn't hit the paint, just some scratch marks.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Does it catch your fingernail when you run your finger over it?

Comment

Very slightly. I can still pretty much slide it over with no force. Although there's a bigger vertical one that does catch my nail a bit.
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

Hmm well it most likely won't fully come out, but it should come close.

Working by hand or buffer?

Comment

I don't have a buffer, so I'll have to do it by hand. Will the scratch removers help? I'm not entirely worried about completely removing it, my bumper isn't exactly perfect. I have some nastier scratches near the lid that came from loading/unloading things, just to remove the scratch to make me look less of an idiot driver...
          <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Depends on the product, if you are working by hand the best ots product you can use is Scratch X. I'll flat out tell you now that it will take some good elbow grease, but that's probably your best bet. If you can manage to find some Megs #80 or #83 that would be better.

If you can get a picture that would be helpful, if you catch your nail in some parts you'll have to go to touchup paint and wetsand/polish.

Comment

I'll check if I can find any at the AutoShow. The Megs dealer is always there.

Thanks!

Oh also one thing, that bigger scratch I was talking about, it doesn't stop my nail completely, but it just feels a bit deeper than the others. Good sign it's not as bad as I think it is?
              <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Well problem is that's the rule of thumb, but everyones interpretation of how it catches is different. A way to look at it is at worst case you'll make it much less noticeable. But very rarely can I pull it completely out when I catch my fingernail, I usually have to resort to paint and sanding it to get rid of it completely.

Best way to do it is just pretend you are swiping your finger across some dust, but keep your fingernail vertical against the paint. It's probably not as bad as you think, but imo it sounds like it isn't going to come all the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                  just to remove the scratch to make me look less of an idiot driver...
                  lol you should leave the scratch so the rest of us can see you coming!

Comment

Deposits are easily removed with a polish. Can't fix missing material with a polish.

Dupont No. 7 works great whether by hand or machine.
                    wrath.com - just a bunch of nonsense in need of work
                    2008 Pontiac G5 - Trailer Trash Mommy Mobile
                    2007 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan - Grandma Grocery Getter
                    1999 NBS Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71 - Locked Grandpa Grocery Getter
                    1987 Chevrolet longbox fleetside 2wd 1/2 ton - Or that's what the VIN says it is
                    1984 Chevrolet K10 - ColoradoK5 "Rigs of CK5 2005 Calendar" November Rig

Comment

Working...
                    X