louder exhaust from a hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• louder exhaust from a hose?

I heard that if u spray water into your exhaust pipe with the hose, it breaks down the packing in the muffler when it dries and causes your exhaust to be louder... sounds plausible to me, what do you guys think
    2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
    Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
    Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
    Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Where's Sam? I'm sure he'd know.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
    Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

this used to work really well on glass pack (cherry bomb mufflers) with the sound deadening fiberglass pack material. However, if your car is just internally baffled (not sure if the g6's are, but would imagine they are), there is not any fiberglass material in them, just metal baffles.

The only thing that could happen really is if your muffler is hot from running a while, and you use super cold water, it may cause some of the weld points to break, otherwise, you can't really damage a muffler by doing this.
      Chad
      Unique Coatings
      http://www.uniquecoatings.co

Customizing in Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights, Color Matched Headlights, Angel Eye Upgrade Kits, HID Xenon Conversions, HID Retrofits, VentureShield Paint Protection

Comment

So who is going to stick a hose in their exhaust pipe
        Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ. Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

Comment

well....anyone know what my 2.4L has in the muffler?
          2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
          Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
          Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
          Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

It will break it down faster over time, not something I would do... just go buy the GT-R and be done with it.

Comment

Re: louder exhaust from a hose?

Well, it all depends on how much you use your car. I have been doing that to all my cars to remove the carbon and crud on viewable tips.

If the car is driven short distances, so that the exhaust will not get warm enough to dry the water, you will actually aid the rust in eating your exhaust from the inside. NOx and all those emmissions gasses will concentrate on the water and eat your muffler away.

Also, dont do this on a recently running engine unless you like changing converters, water shock will crack the welds, stress the muffler baffles and converter pack, also all that vapor will go.... to your engine and accumulate on valves and pistons.

As for a performance standpoint.... there is none, if you want to loose the muffler pack....do it well and replace it.

Comment

Working...
              X