Synthetic Oil vs. Regular Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil vs. Regular Oil

Well i figure there is no better place to come than here to get some help. now i know alittle bit about SYNTHETIC OIL and REGULAR but not enough to make the switch from reg to synthetic. any information is good info, if you have an opinion let us know

THANKS

I use Mobile 1 in mine...Synth all the way but just to be sure I would go and ask the Owl.
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Use Synthetic. All around better.

Comment

whats the price difference and how long is it (10,000mile i think)

Comment

also i was told that once you start using it you cant go back is that true or no.

Comment

Advantages
            The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:

Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
            Better chemical & shear stability
            Decreased evaporative loss
            Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown and oil sludge problems
            Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less waste oil created.

Disadvantages
            The disadvantages of synthetic motor oils include:

Initial costs are usually multiplied by 3 compared to petroleum based oils, though at one time man-made oils were ten times greater[citation needed]
            Initial costs are usually mitigated by extended change intervals, but each particular user may find as useful confirmation of that through used oil analysis (UOA).

The lower friction makes them unsuitable for break-in i.e. during the initial run-in period of the vehicle where friction is desirable to cause wear.
            Potential decomposition problems in certain chemical environments (industrial use dominantly)
            Potential stress cracking of plastic componentry like POM (polyoxymethylene) in the presence of PAO's.
            Potential on some older pushrod race engines with roller lifters for the roller itself not to spin with camshaft movement, but rather slide whilst the roller itself remains either stationary or at a lower circumference speed that that of the camshaft lobe.

Plagiarized by Mr Owl.....

Comment

Synthetic oil is molecularly superior to conventional in that the molecules are smaller and more refined. This makes switching to synthetic in a car with some mileage (70k plus) or a leaky engine could irritate small leaks, seemingly making them worse. I've not heard that you can't switch back to conventional, just that like any oil, brand, or weight, you should stick with one thing since that's what your motor is "used to."

I do not go more than 4,500 miles between changes, and even less on my Caprices, which both have some mileage on them (116k, 156k).
              I run Mobil 1 10w30 in the LT1s in my Caprices, and haven't even done the switch on the Pontiac since I've only changed the oil one time so far.
              Whoops, posted the same time as Mr. Owl.
              2005 Poncho G6 SE- 3.5L, tints, 70k
              1995 Caprice 9C1- LT1, 116k

http://www.fallenofficermemorial9c1.org

Comment

I guess using search is too late at this point.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Come on Ray....you know we have to talk about this every 4 months!
                  Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                  Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                  WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Myth #1: Synthetic motor oils damage seals.

Untrue. It would be foolhardy for lubricant manufacturers to build a product that is incompatible with seals. The composition of seals presents problems that both petroleum oils and synthetics must overcome. Made from elastomers, seals are inherently difficult to standardize.

Ultimately it is the additive mix in the oil that counts. Additives to control seal swell, shrinkage and hardening are required, whether it be a synthetic or petroleum product that is being produced.

Myth #2: Synthetics are too thin to stay in the engine.

Untrue. In order for a lubricant to be classified in any SAE grade (10W-30, 10W-40, etc) it has to meet certain guidelines with regard to viscosity ("thickness").

For example, it makes no difference whether it is 10W-40 petroleum or 10W-40 synthetic, at -25 degrees centigrade (-13F) and 100 degrees centigrade (212 degrees F) that oil has to maintain a standardized viscosity or it can't be rated a 10W-40.

Myth #3: Synthetics cause cars to use more oil.

Untrue. Synthetic motor oils are intended to use in mechanically sound engines, that is, engines that don't leak. In such engines oil consumption will actually be reduced. First, because of the lower volatility of synlubes. Second, because of the better sealing characteristics between piston rings and cylinder walls. And finally, because of the superior oxidation stability (i.e. resistance of synthetics against reacting with oxygen at high temperatures.)

Myth #4: Synthetic lubricants are not compatible with petroleum.

Untrue. The synthesized hydrocarbons, polyalphaolefins, diesters and other materials that form the base stocks of high quality name brand synthetics are fully compatible with petroleum oils. In the old days, some companies used untested ingredients that were not compatible, causing quality synlubes to suffer a bum rap. Fortunately, those days are long gone.

Compatibility is something to keep in mind, however, whether using petroleum oils or synthetics. It is usually best to use the same oil for topping off that you have been running in the engine. That is, it is preferable to not mix your oils, even if it is Valvoline or Quaker State you are using. The reason is this: the functions of additives blended for specific characteristics can be offset when oils with different additive packages are put together. For optimal performance, it is better to use the same oil throughout.

Myth#5: Synthetic lubricants are not readily available.

Untrue. This may have been the case two decades ago when AMSOIL and Mobil1 were the only real choices, but today nearly every major oil company has added a synthetic product to their lines. This in itself is a testament to the value synthetics offer. But, beware, many of the other "synthetics" are not true PAO (Polyalphaolefin) synthetics (ie: Castrol Syntec, Penzoil, etc...) they are hydroisomerized petroleum oil or an ester based synthetic blend.

Myth #6: Synthetic lubricants produce sludge

Untrue. In point of fact, synthetic motor oils are more sludge resistant than their petroleum counterparts, resisting the effects of high temperatures and oxidation. In the presence of high temperatures, two things happen. First, an oil's lighter ingredients boil off, making the oil thicker. Second, many of the complex chemicals found naturally in petroleum basestocks begin to react with each other, forming sludge, gums and varnishes. One result is a loss of fluidity at low temperatures, slowing the timely flow of oil to the engine for vital engine protection. Further negative effects of thickened oil include the restriction of oil flow to critical areas, greater wear and loss of fuel economy.

Because of their higher flash points, and their ability to withstand evaporation loss and oxidation, synthetics are much more resistant to sludge development.

Two other causes of sludge - ingested dirt and water dilution - can be a problem in any kind of oil, whether petroleum or synthetic. These are problems with the air filtration system and the cooling system respectively, not the oil.

Myth #7: Synthetics can't be used with catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

Untrue. There is no difference between synthetic and petroleum oils in regards to these components. Both synthetic and petroleum oils are similar compounds and neither si damaging to catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.

Myth #8: Synthetics void warranties.

Untrue. No major manufacturer of automobiles specifically bans the use of synthetic lubricants. In point of fact, increasing numbers of high performance cars are arriving on the showroom floors with synthetic motor oils as factory fill.

New vehicle warranties are based upon the use of oils meeting specific API Service Classifications (for example SG/CE). Synthetic lubricants which meet current API Service requirements are perfectly suited for use in any vehicle without affecting the validity of the new car warranty. In point of fact, in the over 25 years that AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants have been used in extended service situations, over billions of miles of actual driving, these oils have not been faulted once for voiding an automaker's warranty.

Myth #9: Synthetics last forever.

Untrue. Although some experts feel that synthetic basestocks themselves can be used forever, it is well known that eventually the additives will falter and cause the oil to require changing. Moisture, fuel dilution and acids (the by-products of combustion) tend to use up additives in an oil, allowing degradation to occur.

However , by "topping off", additives can be replenished. Through good filtration and periodic oil analysis, synthetic motor oils protect an engine for lengths of time far beyond the capability of non-synthetics.

Myth #10: Synthetics are too expensive.

Untrue. Tests and experience have proven that synthetics can greatly extend drain intervals, provide better fuel economy, reduce engine wear and enable vehicles to operate with greater reliability. All these elements combine to make synthetic engine oils more economical that conventional non-synthetics.

In Europe, synthetics have enjoyed increasing acceptance as car buyers look first to performance and long term value rather than initial price. As more sophisticated technology places greater demands on today's motor oils, we will no doubt see an increasing re-evaluation of oil buying habits in this country as well.

Comment

would it be ok to make the switch on my first oil change at 3,000 or wait a little

Comment

Switching at first oil change is perfectly fine.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Hmmm.. this makes me consider switching. thanks for this thread guys!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

we can switch together whats to recommend MOBILE 1

Comment

Working...
                              X