remote unlock/starter in "Value Leader"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote unlock/starter in "Value Leader"

OK...I've been looking all around here and haven't seen an answer to this yet.

As y'all know, the VL version of the G6 doesn't include remote unlock fobs even though it has electric locks. I would like both the unlock fobs and, if possible, the remote start capability as well (I'm a little greedy that way).

I've found a keyless remote fob w/starter button from a GM reseller but it says that "RPO option code AP8 is needed". The link is here...

I guess my questions would be:

1. Where can I find the RPO code(s) for my vehicle
    2. How much can I expect to spend in addition to the cost of the fobs
    3. Has anyone done this mod on their VL and have any advice on its usability

Thanks for any help.

You can post your vin number and one of the members will run it and see if you have the correct code. Chances are you don't and will have to go after market.
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I have a V6 and the dealer said I cannot install the factory remote start unless I install some addition hood wiring harness. They said it would be cheaper to go with an aftermarket unit. I checked around and they are right. Some aftermarket remote starts are cheaper, better, with more fancy features. The only drawback is that I will need to carry two remote fobs (1 GM, 1 aftermarket) along with my car key.

Comment

Why would you need two key fobs? My wife has a remote start on her Tahoe and that fob does everything? Is there something different with the 6 that I don't know about? Maybe it just depends on what setup you get?

Comment

The factory remote start is integrated into the factory remote keyless entry fob so there will only be one fob to carry around. But if I were to install an aftermarket remote start, it will come with its own remote fob unless it can be programmed with the remote keyless entry feature also.

Comment

Yeah, OK. That's what was done with the wife's.

Comment

I looked into this before I got my G6. It would be very expensive because you need a different BCM. Then you need to program the BCM, buy the key fobs, string the antenna, et cetera. It's cheaper just to put an aftermarket one on. Astro makes really nice remote starts.
              wrath.com - just a bunch of nonsense in need of work
              2008 Pontiac G5 - Trailer Trash Mommy Mobile
              2007 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan - Grandma Grocery Getter
              1999 NBS Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71 - Locked Grandpa Grocery Getter
              1987 Chevrolet longbox fleetside 2wd 1/2 ton - Or that's what the VIN says it is
              1984 Chevrolet K10 - ColoradoK5 "Rigs of CK5 2005 Calendar" November Rig

Comment

pm me your vin and i can tell you about the code
                or it would be in either the glove box or trunk.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

yeah iv'e got the value leader and took it to the dealer, who then sent it to an aftermarket affiliate to install the remote start / alarm which ran me about 400 bucks
                  just remember, fat kids are harder to kidnap

Comment

so if i have the RP8 code inside my glove box it means i have keyless entry and remote start?
                    2006 Crimson Red G6
                    1997 Black Grand Prix GTP

Comment

chances are that you don't have it ... why would they put it in and not give you fobs ? The keyless/remote start in most GM's is done throught the body control module (BCM) which is the heart and brains of all electrical signals in your car. It's not just something you can add on without getting a new BCM ($200-300) and getting the new BCM reprogrammed to your vin (MIN $100) plus all the hassle associated. It'll be cheaper and easier to get yourself an aftermarket alarm/starter and save yourself the hassle ... and plus you get an alarm out of it ...

Personally I recommend Compustar Alarms ..
                      sigpic

Comment

i got keyless installed on my "Value Leader" at my Pontiac dealership. they call a guy who comes in and does it. hes there quite often because alot of people buy the value leader and want their keyless. mine doesnt have remote start, but it does have trunk and panic.
                        2011 Toyota Camry- gunmetal gray-7,869 miles
                        2008 Pontiac G6, white- 26,065 miles- traded in

Comment

Working...
                        X