X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common steering difficulty? *

Hey guys.
    Wondering if this is something that occurs with you,
    Have you ever owned a car with a kinked steering line? thats what my steering feels like once in a blue moon. If my foot is on the brake, it doesnt want to break lose to turn, im def going to have to look into it cause it could become a big problem if a encounter a situation on the road...just wondering. I am going to check my lines and such, and try and isolate the problem first.
    jeff
    05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
    90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
    1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
    F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Not really sure, but could it be something with the electric steering? I've had hydraulic steering on all my cars so I'm not sure what it feels like, but I know people have been having problems with the electric steering cutting off on the GTs in the middle of turns.

Mike
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
      Not really sure, but could it be something with the electric steering? I've had hydraulic steering on all my cars so I'm not sure what it feels like, but I know people have been having problems with the electric steering cutting off on the GTs in the middle of turns.

Mike
      really? hmmm time to hit up the dealership to cash in that warranty haha
      jeff
      05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)

Comment

Originally posted by spoolinturbo
        Originally posted by GTPGuy82

Mike
        really? hmmm time to hit up the dealership to cash in that warranty haha
        jeff
        yea it's a really serious problem, you can read about it on other G6 forums. The steering just locks up and you're pretty much screwed.

Mike
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

kinked up steering

that happens to me all the time. i try to turn ant it feels like its pulling in the opposite direction. happens most when im attempting to park or leave a parking space. im bringing mine in ti the service center tommorow and i will let you know what happens.

Comment

Re: kinked up steering

Originally posted by robbob357
            that happens to me all the time. i try to turn ant it feels like its pulling in the opposite direction. happens most when im attempting to park or leave a parking space. im bringing mine in ti the service center tommorow and i will let you know what happens.
            yea if i wake up early enough I am going to do that as well.
            jeff

Comment

I've read about this problem on press releases and other material. Usually the rough steering occurs with cold harsh climates, not sure where you live. I did not read any information about the electric steering completely locking up while driving. All the info talks about locking up while the car is cold and just started-everything says once the car warms up everything should be fine. Just my two cents.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Just to let you guys know, the problem doesn't seem G6 specific. I have a 2005 Cobalt on rental, and the steering has trouble on colder days. When I first start the car, I can not move the wheel until the car has moved a few feet. This is the second Cobalt rental that has done that to me in two weeks.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Above I believe you were talking about hydraulic power steering since I really don't see how temperature change would effect the electric PS, maybe there is some design flaw in the hydraulic PS or maybe the fluid isn't rated for certain temps. Don't know but hopefully it gets figured out.
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Uhh.. if you're talking to me:

Cobalts all have electric steering assist.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I was referring to spoolingturbo's original post, and just comparing the difference between electric and hydraulic power steering.

Comment

well i wasnt referring to temperature at all. Should not have a noticeable difference when it comes to steering abilities, Im from the north so I know =)
                        And I am stationed in florida now. And it has only been happening at start up, or from going from park to drive or reverse and so forth. Just feels funny to me, especially in loss of traction, the front wheels just bounce around and clunking and crap. Makes no damn sense to me whatsover. Im going to check strut mounts this week sometime, i have to do an oil change so might as well give it a look over. That and a CV joint clicking when pulling out of a spot, then stops....suprising the crap out of me. blah, and $hitty gas mileage. like 20mpg on the highway, at cruising speeds. bla :evil:
                        jeff

Comment

isn't our steering Magnetic.....? not really electric? the steering is supposed to tighen up as speed increases, increasing the control over the vehicle at higher speeds. But either way, sounds like you guys have serious and potentially dangerous problems. In the mean time, stay safe, and be carefull. Then get this shit checked out and sue GM to put them down and under into bankruptcy for good, then we'll be the only ones with G6's. And elite group lol. okay, I'm done now.
                          Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
                          GT-R Exhaust System
                          K&N Typhoon CAB
                          EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
                          EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

I wonder if the electric steering requires MORE volts than the battery can supply.. thus it not working correctly upon start up until the battery is fully charged and the alt is doing it's work (about 10-15 seconds to be to specs). : :idea:

Maybe thats more reason to by an Optimus battery. :P
                            Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                            2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                            w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

You guys are all crazy, I've never had this steering problem everyone is talking about. Of course now that I've said that it will happen since that seems to happen everytime a thread with a rattle or problem comes up.

Comment

Working...
                              X