Removing Front License Plate Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Front License Plate Bracket

I don't know if anyone's car came with a front license plate bracket installed, but here in California, it's mandatory. I was wondering if anyone has removed theirs and if so, how? Is is as easy as just drilling out the rivets? Also, what can be used to cover up the holes that are left. Thanks for the help.

Just wondering, but if it's mandatory why are you going to remove it haha.. see here in NY we need both plates and they are MAJOR assholes about it. I belive it's two rivits like you said and I saw someplace (dunno if on here) a link for a plug that can go in the bumper. But to me they were ugly and would rather spend the money getting the holes filled and repainted if I ever wanted to take my plate off!!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

The dealership used 3 rivets on mine. I tried drilling one of them out, and damn that's a big hole you gotta drill!

If I ever got a bodykit like the Razz, I'd need to take it off...temporarily anyway.
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

yes it's mandatory, but in all honesty, they are ugly, so if I get hassled I get hassled. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

I'm so glad we don't have to have them up here.

But I don't think you'd wanna take it off if it's mandatory. I don't know what they would do but they probably wouldn't be nice about it.

Comment

dont have to have them here either, so if you find a good way to drill (size?) and fill holes let us know

Comment

i don't need them in TN and won't need them when i move to NC, but i bought my car through a dealership in NH where they require front plates and they were actually required by law to drill and mount the front plate bracket even though the car will never be registered or insured in the state of New Hampshire. now that is messed up. i ain't gonna worry about the holes too much for right now, aside from the cold air intake factor which should net me around 25hp (j/k), the little holes look better than the huge bracket would.

Comment

same here, bought in ohio so had to have the plate

for now i just covered it up with a unc plate

Comment

the holes prolly wouldn't be too big of a problem with the darker color-mayber??
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

probably not, but i dont want holes in my car like that

Comment

About that bracket

I got my GTP from Penn. which doesn't require front tags and we went on Sat. so they didn't have anyone to put the bracket on.
                      I told them I would do it as we have to have it in Maryland. What they use is like a hollow door fastener. Slots in the side of the rivet let the sides pop out as you pull the pin through and it holds to the back of the plastic bumper cover, not in any metal at all. It takes a 3/16 hole. So when you take it off you will have holes that can't be body putty filled I don't think.
                      Not real sure how you could fill them.

Best of luck...
                      It's all good !! 2006 Crimsom Red GTP. Panny roof. The wife lets me look at it sometimes !!!

Comment

haha thats suck for u guys, i got my car before they were able to slap it on the front, i have all the stuff for it but im not going to put it on until i get pulled over for it. plus the guy who sold the car to me didnt want to put it on either, so mine is plate free.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                        Originally posted by ahuhn
                        so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Re: About that bracket

Originally posted by Uncle_Dad
                          I got my GTP from Penn. which doesn't require front tags and we went on Sat. so they didn't have anyone to put the bracket on.
                          I told them I would do it as we have to have it in Maryland. What they use is like a hollow door fastener. Slots in the side of the rivet let the sides pop out as you pull the pin through and it holds to the back of the plastic bumper cover, not in any metal at all. It takes a 3/16 hole. So when you take it off you will have holes that can't be body putty filled I don't think.
                          Not real sure how you could fill them.

Best of luck...
                          I just installed a front plate on my girlz trailblazer, i was going to explain but you already stated everything i was gonna say, good job! :smoke:
                          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I saw a guy driving around here with the front bracket, but he took the plate off. I know it wasn't a new vehicle because he had a plate on the rear. He should get some kind of pontiac plate to put on the front or something that would be cool.
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                              I saw a guy driving around here with the front bracket, but he took the plate off. I know it wasn't a new vehicle because he had a plate on the rear. He should get some kind of pontiac plate to put on the front or something that would be cool.
                              Actually, i've seen some pontiac plates on ebay that i'll probablly be getting for the front. thanks for the input guys, it's really appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X