HOW TO remove TCM on 4speed 3.9L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO remove TCM on 4speed 3.9L

Ok just for anyone who needs this info. 4 speed auto, 3.9L.
    1. first your going to want to remove the intake, battery cover, and washer fluid res. pictured bellow.

2. now that you have extra room should look like this

now heres where the TCM is located, its in front of the ECM, down in the engine bay, you cna see in the pick some of the pluggs of the ECM. and then down further a blue plug, that blue plug is plugged into the TCM.

3.To unhook the plug you need to push in the blue tab circled then push the grey peice to the other end

4.Heres another pick of where the grey piece will be after you slide it, then you want to pull mostly on the black peice labled 2 in the pic, try to not pull where the wires are coming out so you dont jerk the wires free.NOTE- the blue plug is somewhat hard to pull out, just work with it, it will eventually come out with some out with a little force.

4. Now that the blu plug is off, you wan to push in on the black peice circled in the pic to get the TCM to pull out of the harness.

In addtion it is benificial to pull the ECM up out of it's harness so that the wires underneath arnt preventing the TCM to pull up so you ay need to gently move some wires to the side in order to get the TCM out.
    Heres the ECM pulled up out it's harness to give some extra room to pull the TCM out.

Heres the harness after pulling out the TCM- the clip that you earlier needed to push in is circled again.

And some pics of the TCM after pulled out!

NOTE- the service number you may need is on the opposite side in relation to the above pic.
    SIDE

*NOTE* I am in no way responsible for any damage you may cause while performing this task of removing the TCM or any other task relating to it in this How -to.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Pic are great for explinations! Am happy to hear you got the TCM out!
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Nicely done, great write up.

Comment

Nice man! I'll be needing this for Tuesday when my TCM / ECM come in!
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Thanks guys! glad i could help! the hardest part was the fact that it was freezing outside and had like 20MPH winds,

TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
          Show
          -20% tint

Comment

Originally posted by leong6gtp
            Thanks guys! glad i could help! the hardest part was the fact that it was freezing outside and had like 20MPH winds,
            Garages FTW!

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe_GTP
              Garages FTW!
              yeah we have a garage, except my mom's escalade was occupiing it and the other side is filled with stuff. so i had to freeze outside.
              next time ill make her pull the escalade out!

Show
              -20% tint

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe_GTP
                Garages FTW!
                yeah we have a garage, except my mom's escalade was occupiing it and the other side is filled with stuff. so i had to freeze outside.
                next time ill make her pull the escalade out!
                I hate driving my dads escalade it is one big pain in the ass lol. My moms car is alot funnier heh.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

I'm parking my mom's car outside while I put mine in

Looks like UPS messed up, it said Tuesday for delivery the other day, but now it's got a 'Rescheduled' delivery for Wed.
                  Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
                  386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                  2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
                    I'm parking my mom's car outside while I put mine in

Looks like UPS messed up, it said Tuesday for delivery the other day, but now it's got a 'Rescheduled' delivery for Wed.
                    Westers is sending my new TCM out today and im getting it tuesday!

Show
                    -20% tint

Comment

Mine was resceduled also for Tuesday.

Comment

Boo! You guys get it before me [/url]

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

This has probably been asked before, BUT, is there a relearn that needs to be done after you replace your TCM?

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Nope!

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
                              This has probably been asked before, BUT, is there a relearn that needs to be done after you replace your TCM?
                              yes!!!!!

Show
                              -20% tint

Comment

Working...
                              X