Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get a non-running car into a cube van? seriously.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get a non-running car into a cube van? seriously.

the redneck in me wants to seize the opportunity to use a cube van to move a car across the country, however the engine is seized, so how does one get it into the cube van?

get proper ramps and push it in with a truck?

use a trailer like everyone else?

pull some sort of Jim Rockford / Michael Knight roll into the truck and smash out the cab? picture that.

anyone got creative ideas?

Push it or winch it, but I doubt there is a winch point at the front of the Cube Van.
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

you would have to push it in. I'm assuming you've already measured to make sure the car would fit. Also would the suspension of the van be able to handle and safely suppport the wieght of the car your putting in it? Just because you've got the room to put it in there doesn't mean the van could handle it.

Comment

I'm curious ... what kind of car is it?

RC

Comment

'79 El Camino

the red headed step child of muscle cars
          been parked for years after I blew the engine, would like to restore it now
          but its on the other side of the country.

Comment

Can you properly secure it in the truck?

Shifts in weight could mean tipping over. Call a cab and ask them to use the push bumper to push it in.

Are you sure the ramp will support the car getting in?

Could be costly if you damage the truck.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
            Originally posted by [i
            Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

I kind of thought it might be a classic car. You're in Calgary, right? Any chance you'll get your car here and running by next summer?

Why not just use a U-Haul Tow Dolly?

RC

Comment

Tow dolly would be a lot easier and safer IMHO than shoving it in a truck and not being able to see it and watch if any supports come loose and fear the weight of the car shifting around and tipping the truck.
                2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                2005 CGM GTO.
                386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

you guys make good points about the van accomodating the weight.
                  the van was convenient because a certain dealership needed a few cube vans driven from Ottawa to Calgary, and my scheme of course gave me a cheap way to move the car and a reason to take time away from work.

I resist the tow dolly because I've used one twice on it and not looking forward to towing it that way cross country. a trailer would be better. but since I now own a G6 after writing off my truck, the whole cost of truck-trailer comes into play.

I'd be nice to have to restored by summer but I doubt things could come together that quick. Last time I saw it we had primered the box and stuffed it into a barn. The fun of it is the summer project of tearing things apart and rebuilding them. I'd do that every summer if I could.

Comment

A cube van isn't necessarily out of the question... beyond the obvious of "would it fit" you also have to look in the van and see if it has strong tie-down points. I don't know if you can crawl around, and possibly under, the car (is an El Camino really a car?) to get the tie-downs into position and tightened.

I wouldn't just give-up on this option so fast.

Good luck,
                    GraniteGrey
                    Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

thought I would share the laugh

National Car Truck Rentals

Flatdeck Truck Rental, 4 days + insurance Toronto to Calgary 1 way.
                      Rate $497
                      + $1.20 per kilometer x 3400km =
                      (497+4080) $4577

anyone else find that ridiculous?
                      come on, a buck twenty per km!

Comment

one man's junk is another's gold

oh GraniteGrey

yes I can get under the greatly debated el camino (is it a car or truck?)
                        but barely, I chopped the front springs!
                        Well most were built on 'car' chassis with 'car' parts
                        But my ownership, like most, classifies it as a truck.
                        But then again, so are Pt Cruisers.
                        (apparently cause of the flat floor?)

Comment

for that much $$$ wouldn't it be cheaper to ship it via car hauler (tractor trailer)? what if you got a car trailer, (not a tow dolly) and towed it with the cube van?

Comment

Re: one man's junk is another's gold

Originally posted by PDRtech
                            oh GraniteGrey

yes I can get under the greatly debated el camino (is it a car or truck?)
                            but barely, I chopped the front springs!
                            Well most were built on 'car' chassis with 'car' parts
                            But my ownership, like most, classifies it as a truck.
                            But then again, so are Pt Cruisers.
                            (apparently cause of the flat floor?)
                            so would ya call it a "caruck"?

Comment

Re: one man's junk is another's gold

Originally posted by PDRtech
                              yes I can get under the greatly debated el camino (is it a car or truck?) but barely, I chopped the front springs!
                              So now the question becomes how do you secure the car in the cube van? Are there tie down points?

Take Care,
                              GraniteGrey

BTW... I really didn't know that the El Camino was classified as a truck according to the registration. I would have guessed "car" because it's basically built with car parts (as you said). The flat floor thing doesn't make sense to me because station waggons are not considered trucks and they have a flat floor in the back.
                              Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

Working...
                              X