Water Stains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Stains

I got my car hand washed today at the place that did my tints cuz they do a nice job and they are the same price as the regular car wash which is a piece of shit. But anyway, besdies winter i park my car on my driveway which allows it to experience my sprinkler system. Little did i know this creates water stains on the windows and paint. he said he could do a chemical treatment on the windows for 60 dollars....does anyone know what product this is so i can buy it and do it for half the price? lol and then he said just wax would take out the ones on the paint...

anybody of experience with water stains?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2557626
    2 Time ROTM Champion =P

Interfire suggested Vinegar to me a while back or Alcohol one of those two should work.
    Blue Man Group

Comment

Back in the day when new cars rolled off the truck. I had a paste like product, (probable was liquid cleanser), that I used with a brillo pad to clean the windows. The windows came out spotless and never scratched a single one.
      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked
        Interfire suggested Vinegar to me a while back or Alcohol one of those two should work.
        Yup.

For windows use vinegar, or if you prefer an actual detailing product then use a good glass cleaner or glass polish... ie Plexus, Autoglym, or NXT glass cleaner.

For paint any light polish or wax with cleaning properties (basically any OTC wax) will take it off. Scratch-x works great.

Comment

In the olden days GM used to recommend Bon-Ami for cleaning windows. It is/was a scrubbing agent for bathtubs and whatnot. Anyway, nothing in it was harder than glass so it didn't scratch glass but cleaned it very nicely. I know Barkeep's friend will scratch the shit out of glass. I haven't seen Bon-Ami in any stores in at least 5 years.

Cerium oxide is a glass polish you can get at most glass shops. It's around $40/lb and comes in a powder form. You can put it on a bonnet and use a D/A sander or an electric drill. Just tape off all the door seals with wide electrical tape and go to town. It'll take you longer to put the tape on than to polish the glass. A pound of it will last you forever.

For getting crap out of paint, I've found nothing better than Dupont No 7 polish. It's an extremely light abrasive (lighter than most polishing compounds). Again, you can do this by hand but it's more fun with air tools.
          wrath.com - just a bunch of nonsense in need of work
          2008 Pontiac G5 - Trailer Trash Mommy Mobile
          2007 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan - Grandma Grocery Getter
          1999 NBS Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71 - Locked Grandpa Grocery Getter
          1987 Chevrolet longbox fleetside 2wd 1/2 ton - Or that's what the VIN says it is
          1984 Chevrolet K10 - ColoradoK5 "Rigs of CK5 2005 Calendar" November Rig

Comment

I had the same problem, I would park next to a sprinkler in the driveway and got some bad water spots. They were a pain to get out but I was able to do it. Vinegar and water didn't do a thing for me on the windows, but I would start with that first. What did work well on the windows was using some Mothers mag wheel polish, with a little bit of rubbing they came right off.

As for the body I used the liquid Ice clay bar, it took the spots out and gave me a nice smooth finish.

I hope that helps.
            Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

Working...
            X