my latest mods- OH YEAH!-vector and intake-pics end of post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my latest mods- OH YEAH!-vector and intake-pics end of post

Well today was "mod" day for the 6. I installed my vecter tune and an intake on the 6.

1st the vector tune

This is F'n amazing! So this is what "torque steer" is! I never had it before.
    I love my vector tune!

for testing the tune I used a stopwatch and the same location both times so as to eliminate variables in the testing.

I did a stock 0-60 run which resulted in a time of 8 secs. The air temp was 54 degrees and I had a 1/4 tank of fuel, which was 87 octane. It was done on dry and level ground. The time was 2:00pm and the weather was overcast.

I then proceeded to install the vector tune. If you want install instructions someone had already posted them hear so I'm not gonna repeat them.
    It took about 45 mins to get it installed and to do a relearn for my keys.

The install instructions that vector included with tune were very good and easy to read. After the vector tune was installed I then proceeded to install my intake. But more on that later.

After everything was installed I then proceeded to do a couple of test 0-60 runs. my best time that I could record was around 7 secs flat. I did have a full tank of gas, that was 93 octane. The time was 7:00pm and the air temp was 47 degrees. The weather was still overcast.

To be honest I'm not too sure about the accuracy of my 0-60 due to the fact that I encountered severe torque steer and had to grip the wheel pretty tight in my hand. I definitely need a dashhawk asap.

In my last 0-60 run I started at 10mph and floored it. From 10mph up to 40mph I got no traction whatsoever, on dry flat pavement, and promptly WASTED a set of goodyear eagle f1 all season tires. And I do mean wasted. My tach jumped up to red line and my speedo went crazy zooming up to 90mph as I lost traction. Once I had regained traction I was doing about 45-50 and continued on to 60mph.

Overall the vector tune is worth every penny and I highly recomend it.

Chris, What a fantastic product you have! I love it and will definitely recomend you to everyone I know. Thanks!

I did have something weird happen with my car keys though.
    I own 2 sets of keys for the 6. One is the oem factory key, and the other was a spare that the dealer ordered for me. I don't know which is which however.

So I did the relearn with 1 of my keys and it went perfect. I tested the car and it started just fine. I then decided to try starting the car with the other key WITHOUT doing the relearn for that key. It started just fine, no relearn needed.

Is this possible?

well enough about the vector tune.

2nd.) The custom intake.

Heres the pics

I went with a custom setup as I have heard bad things about the injen intake and haven't gotten from stage 3 from the doc.
    I removed the stock air box and filter. I decided to attach my cone filter right onto the Maf sensor thingie. That way I won't have any CEL codes show up.

The filter I used, as well as most of the parts are made by a company called spectre. they sell their stuff at pepboys. I had to do a bit custom engineering to get it all to fight properly as most of the parts weren't designed for the 6. I put a rubber tube thingie over the end of the maf sensor housing and then connected the filter to that. I secured everything with clamps. I then zip tied the intake assembly to where the old air box attached to front of the car.

Heres the finished product installed.

And heres a close up of the end of the air filter. It has a filter part on the end to let in even more air. I plan on making it full ram air in the future.

Now I did not have enough time to remove the resonator, so that will be done in the future when I get more time. I plan to eventually move the filter down into the fenderwell or possibly do something like Pooners CRAB. I also plan to insulate as much of the intake as I can with that thermo tech heat shield stuff.

As of the moment the filter sits just above the intake hole in the fender so it force feeds air into the bottom of the filter. I know that it sucks some hot air from the engine, but I don't think it will be much of a problem during winter.

I did notice that the motor sounded much louder at WOT after having removed the stock air box. Definitely an improvement. The motor has a more "bad a**" sound too it. Also note that I went with a red filter. I figure it goes with the red arrowhead logo as well as the red
    gauges on the dash. I plan on adding more red stuff in the future. Spectre also makes the same filter in either blue or yellow.

So, what da ya think?

looks nice!

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Awesome! Looks good!

Comment

Good job. Get new tires!
        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

nice mods!

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
          Your Car sounds like it is kicking ass!. Your exhaust makes way more kickass noise than my does and i dont even want to hear mine start.. and it just sounds like the fucking MOTHERSHIP HAS LANDED!... don't know how to explain it. but my pants just got tight and now i want to make love to your car! where the beautiful sound comes from...

Comment

nice mods, good job
            Any CEL showing after the vector install?

Comment

Nope, I haven't had a CEL come up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by newbiestyle
                do you have 06 3.5L ?

Comment

Good job

Comment

Looks great!
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson
                      Originally posted by newbiestyle
                      do you have 06 3.5L ?
                      yes, I have an 06 g6 v6 with the 3.5 lx9 v6.

From what I've read on here, some others haven't had to do a crank relearn with that motor. Strange.

Comment

Hot air intake. lol. Good to hear the tune did ya right. Enjoy it. Maybe chris will return a message to me and let me know what the 3.6 tune will run and what all I am gonna have to rip out of my car to install the tcm.
                        Originally posted by Nikki
                        You are an e-pimp.
                        Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                        I tried too, my penis way too big
                        07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                        My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                        The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

yea but then we may see a 13 sec g6

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                          Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                          Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                          -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Very nice.
                            But like DH said...The intake is a WAI. From what I have read...No real gains.
                            A short WAI doesn't allow enough flow distance before the MAF to get smooth flow readings. On the other hand...A CAI shows a smoother increase in MAF Hz. Plus...with a WAI, such as yours, it sits in the engine bay, unprotected, where the temps will be as much as 200 degrees hotter than the outside air. This can cause heat soak.
                            I know that High Performance Pontiac (Dec '03) did a combination CAI and Exhaust, and dynoed before and after, they came up with a before of 141whp (stock) and after 158whp on a 3400 engine. And that's with exhaust. After installing the WAI...no real gains (besides the exhaust) were found.

Then again...I don't know. I googled all that.

http://www.sharpshooterv1.com/index.php?act=idx

Comment

Originally posted by levey
                              Very nice.
                              But like DH said...The intake is a WAI. From what I have read...No real gains.
                              A short WAI doesn't allow enough flow distance before the MAF to get smooth flow readings. On the other hand...A CAI shows a smoother increase in MAF Hz. Plus...with a WAI, such as yours, it sits in the engine bay, unprotected, where the temps will be as much as 200 degrees hotter than the outside air. This can cause heat soak.
                              I know that High Performance Pontiac (Dec '03) did a combination CAI and Exhaust, and dynoed before and after, they came up with a before of 141whp (stock) and after 158whp on a 3400 engine. And that's with exhaust. After installing the WAI...no real gains (besides the exhaust) were found.

Then again...I don't know. I googled all that.
                              WAI? you mean a HAI? (hot air intake)

Yup I know, I'm gonna go the CAB route soon,
                              this was just the 1st step in an intake mod, gotta get the reasonator out and then I'm thinking about useing some airducting to route cold air straight to CAB.

Comment

Working...
                              X