Mirror Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Rattle

Ok so this may very well be THE dumbest post I make yet...

I have a serious problem that keeps recurring over and over. And I hope someone has an idea that can fix it, or tell me why I shouldn't SUPER GLUE it.

My rear view mirror vibrates right much... And every few months, I start to notice this awful sound like a speaker may be blown, but if I reach my hand out and hold the rear view mirror, it stops. And all sounds good again.

So I get my trusty screwdriver and tighten it back up.

After a month or two, it's loose again, and I have to tighten it up again. And again. And again.

It's quite annoying.

I'm thinking about super glueing the screw in.

Anyone have a better suggestion??

Locktite.
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Whazzat?

Comment

helps the screw lock tight

that would be my suggestion also, or maybe some thread tape if the screw comes all the way out, that should keep it from vibrating loose too

Comment

K. Thanks

Comment

You can buy Locktite at your favorite auto supply store. That happens to be the brand name there. (Red)
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.

Comment

If all else fails, there's always ducktape.

Official Sound Dude of the SWO

Comment

....and coat hangers! Not plastic.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888

Comment

what do you except when you have 2 subs in your car? my mirror rattles with the stock monsoon system heh.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

A friends G5 has the same issue with his RVM. It'll buzz under heavy acceleration. You can reach out, touch it and it goes away. It is actually the switch for switching it from normal mode to 'being blinded by the car behind you' mode.
                    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

I'm gonna have to try the locktite..

Comment

Duct tape! Ok Ok the loctite will work too.

Comment

use RTV or a silcone, this way there is like a padding within the thread of the screw and should engulf the vibrations.
                          2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                          Black/Black coupe

Comment

I love duct tape
                            Originally posted by jeffro
                            nice laura, real nice!!!

Comment

Make sure you get BLUE threadlocker, not red.

Red is semi-permanent. You'll need to apply heat and some strength to undo it down the road. If you use that, and you need to replace the mirror at some point, it'll be a nightmare trying to undo the set screw. Red will hold the screw tight, but still let you undo it if needed.

You can also get it at Lowe's (or "the orange box") if they are more accessible than an auto parts store.
                              2009 PONTIAC G8
                              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X