Brake Caliper Paint- Good Stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Caliper Paint- Good Stuff!

This is a "In My Honest Opinion "article".... if you hate it and it sucks for you, it's not my fault- please throw the "system" through your local autoparts store window only.. not at me. Thanks!!

As my first mod, i decided to paint my calipers red and I used the Duplicolor Caliper paint system pictured here:

and I must say this "system" is FANTASTIC! In the past, I have ALWAYS painted the calipers using the hightemp spray paint, remove the rotars, pads, lines, and what not. But with this, it's simply brush on a few coats and install the wheel. I was able to go from start to finsih in UNDER 2 hours in the freezing 20 degree Michigan weather!! :mrgreen: . Now if you aren't as patient as some (like me), I would still suggest removing the caliper from the bracket and even popping those pads out, just so you can get a nice even uninterupted coat (which is what I did). For $15.00 total you get some "special" Brake Caliper clenaer (It's just Brake Cleaner Fluid), A TON of paint (I swear, I have enough left over to probably paint 12 more calipers), a decent flat brush, stirring stick, small roll of masking tape, and instructions. The paint is awesome as it has a "ceramic" aditive that makes the finish job SMOOTH as glass. When brushing it on, it's thick and you do leave "lines" and brush marks in the paint.. but after baout 1 minute or so, it's like it's "self smoothing" and it just dries wonderfully (AND QUICKLY, TOO!!) What a wonderful first mod and will look great on ANY one elses car, too! Comes in several other color, Black silver, yellow, and a nice Blue. But enough of the words, time for the pics. Excuse the semi dirty car.. MI winters suck.

Look how smoooth it is!

And overall full shot... Nice!
    Straight up Pimp Trollin'
    2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
    w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

looks good...did you have to sand them first? On my last car I painted them silver but used a high-temp engine enamel spray paint. I covered the rotor with a bag and the fender wells with newspaper and just sprayed away.

Mike
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

looks good, I used that high temp engine paint on my last set but it faded under the extreme heat of the brakes. I guess this kit takes the heat levels into consideration.
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

GTPguy, thats how everyone always told me to do them, but I could never get them to look good enough. You don't have to sand the calipers at all, if they are excessivly coroded (our cars being brand new, thats not an issue) you would just hit them with a steel bristle brush. To put it in diffrent terms, this does not give the effect to the calipers that painting the side mirrors would have (rough texture).. it's smooth as glass with just 2 coats. Paint is rated for up to 2000 degrees. The issue that most "high temp spray paints" have is they are not subjected to testing with with brake fluid, brake dust, and road salt.. like calipers recieve on a near daily basis.

Comment

so how long after you paint them should you wait before driving the car?

Mike
          -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Paint dries in 20 minutes and reaches full cure in 1 hour in which it can be driven right then (so-- bout as long as it takes to put the wheels back on, torque the lugs, drop the car, and put the tools away.

Comment

wow that's pretty quick. With regular spray paint you need to wait overnight at least.

Mike
              -Mike #1

Comment

thats good off topic: where u live in michigan im from there 2 chorlotte(close to lansing) here

Comment

I have used the duplicolor kit and it is truely the best kit out there. After about a year the paint was still glossy and to clean just needed a blast of water for the brake dust. I would steer clear of high temp spraypaint because it gets tacky when it heats up but the duplicolor paint is ceramic based to dissipate heat quickly. I plan on painting all four calipers red within the next couple weeks when I have time from work and college.
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Great Post

Nice pix and info on the calipers. Looks great. I will be doing this mod for sure.
                    L8R,
                    Sterling
                    2006 G6 GT Black 4 Door. Remote Start, Black Heated Leather, Three Spoke Wheel w/ cruise and Radio Controls,RED calipers by DupliColor, 27% Tint,Vent Visors, Hood Lift Kit, Nokya Artic White H/L Bulbs. 2 10" Infinity Subs w/960RMS Amp.
                    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slrkappa/ ... EBJMLIV8fX
                    USMC F18 Jet Mechanic.

Comment

nice once the summer comes this is one thing im going to do.
                      04 red/red GTO
                      05 silver/black G6 GT
                      http://www.myspace.com/04redgto

Comment

GAH our winter here in AZ feels like summer-ITS NOT EVEN COLD!!! This is one of the other mods I am doing once college settles down and I can play with the car. Quick and easy but makes a world of difference especially since most of us have darker paint the red calipers really stand out and look awesome.
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Just finished painting my calipers yesterday... The kit was very good!!!
                          2005 G6 V6 in granite metallic, Kenwood DDX6019 touch screen DVD radio, 2 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7s, Dynamat, Orion 2400 amp, Power Acoustik 4F cap, XBOX 360, Chrome window trim, Quicklift kit

Comment

Nice!! What color did you use.. and where's the pics?! :P

Comment

My paint is on the way!

I just ordered the paint kit. I cant wait to try it out. Still gotta get on da plane back to the states though to get the car as well. Ill have my new G6 in about a week.
                              L8R,
                              Sterling
                              2006 G6 GT Black 4 Door. Remote Start, Black Heated Leather, Three Spoke Wheel w/ cruise and Radio Controls,RED calipers by DupliColor, 27% Tint,Vent Visors, Hood Lift Kit, Nokya Artic White H/L Bulbs. 2 10" Infinity Subs w/960RMS Amp.
                              http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slrkappa/ ... EBJMLIV8fX
                              USMC F18 Jet Mechanic.

Comment

Working...
                              X