Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass

I'm a newb, I spend most of my time on other forums related to offroading...

Most of you have probably seen the tried and true Gentex 177 mirror with autodimming, temperature, and compass.

Probably the next most common is the GenK5. Same thing, no temperature though.

I just bought a new 07 G6 V6 and it came without one. I couldn't believe it when I was driving home in the dark. Even my 99 Silverado came with it standard on the LS trim. The temperature sensor didn't come on the LS trim though...

You can even get ones with map lights built into them.

But anyway...

Anyone know if GM was kind enough to string a wiring harness up there already? If so, is it the standard 7 pin or do they string up a 26,000 pin one up there for OnStar?

I need to get a mirror with autodimming and a compass in there. Never realized how important they are until you don't have them.
    wrath.com - just a bunch of nonsense in need of work
    2008 Pontiac G5 - Trailer Trash Mommy Mobile
    2007 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan - Grandma Grocery Getter
    1999 NBS Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71 - Locked Grandpa Grocery Getter
    1987 Chevrolet longbox fleetside 2wd 1/2 ton - Or that's what the VIN says it is
    1984 Chevrolet K10 - ColoradoK5 "Rigs of CK5 2005 Calendar" November Rig

I believe Interfire has one, maybe he'll chime in here. There's a few people who have installed one so it shouldn't be too hard to find the info you need.

Comment

Do a search, I have one Monteracer has one...

Etc...
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
        Do a search, I have one Monteracer has one...

Etc...
        I found this one by monteracer last week. I know how to install a mirror, I've got an autodimming one with map lights in the rig you see as my avatar.

I just found that you were looking for a schematic but I didn't find anything more.

I wanted to know if I was going to have to fish wires. If I don't have to fish wires, I was wondering what connector was up there so I could buy a "plug and play" mirror. I don't want to have to drop the headliner a bunch of times.
        wrath.com - just a bunch of nonsense in need of work
        2008 Pontiac G5 - Trailer Trash Mommy Mobile
        2007 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan - Grandma Grocery Getter
        1999 NBS Chevrolet Silverado ECSB Z71 - Locked Grandpa Grocery Getter
        1987 Chevrolet longbox fleetside 2wd 1/2 ton - Or that's what the VIN says it is
        1984 Chevrolet K10 - ColoradoK5 "Rigs of CK5 2005 Calendar" November Rig

Comment

We fished. I doubt you have wiring because it would be hooked into the Onstar system...
          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

You can find my thread around here somewhere, but I ran my wires over to the pillar from the headliner and then down to the console by the passenger fuse box. Very quick and easy install, if you end up needing help if run that route let me know. I also ran my UV sensor and temp sensor roughly the same way but went out through the firewall.

Comment

I have one and even WITH OnStar you STILL have to run additional wiring. There is no existing 12V supply at the necessary pin location for any mirror with automatic dimming.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Hey Wrath, good to see a fellow loaded-mirror nut! :warped: I've got a loaded Gentex (maplites, compass, temp, auto-dim) in my 95 Caprice that I installed myself. Also have an earlier, more "Period Correct" version in my 94 Caprice.

Anyway, I was wanting to do this as well, since the DIC displays the temp but not smart enough to display the direction

It's too bad we can't find one with Pontiac red illumination!!

2005 Poncho G6 SE- 3.5L, tints, 70k
                1995 Caprice 9C1- LT1, 116k

http://www.fallenofficermemorial9c1.org

Comment

Working...
                X