X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire options for the G6?

I went looking for tire options and when I searched the "Tire Rack"
    I had two choices for a 225/50/18".

The Goodyear eagle LS2 (That I have and hate).
    or the Bridgestone Potenza REO50A (Summer only)

Does anyone know of other options, now or coming soon?

Cheers,

Chris
    Black GTP, 6-speed
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Go Sens!!!

Yes, our cars can run 235/50 -18's They have about 8 or so options in this size on the tire rack. I like the Kuhmo ASX for the winter. Either that or the BF Goodrich KDWS. Those are like $77.00 ea from them the last time I checked. Although it did say special, so who knows how much now.
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS with Mobil1 badge and oil cap

"ZeroRTized" manifold

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog
      I went looking for tire options and when I searched the "Tire Rack"
      I had two choices for a 225/50/18".

The Goodyear eagle LS2 (That I have and hate).
      or the Bridgestone Potenza REO50A (Summer only)

Does anyone know of other options, now or coming soon?

Cheers,

Chris
      I am in the middle of trying to figure out what the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tire really is. From the Bridgestone website, they show a RE050, and show the RE050A Pole Position.

My tire says Potenza RE050A. What is it???

Could TireRack.com have made an error in referring to the RE050A as a summer only tire?????????

Will update when I get a response from Bridgestone.
      2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

tires

i would go with the 18s with some bf goodrich g force tires. those tire can handle any driving conditions and they look great. they come in 2 treads so it up 2 you how you want your tread .
        05 G6 doctor speed cai, mvp to battery, royal purple max atf

Comment

I had BFGoodrich KDWS's on my Grand Prix GTP, and they don't handle well at all in the snow, and they generally wear like crap. They are in all reality a 20-25,000 mile tire, and I did no racing or burnout or anything like that. They handle great in dry conditions, but they are very soft, so they wear like crazy. I put 70,000 miles on my GP and I replaced them twice, and had them replaced 3rd time with 10k on them because the sidewalls were cracking.
          Black 06 GTP Coupe - Dr. Speed Cold Air Box, Tinted Windows, Projektorz - Coming this week: Grafxworks Pontiac overlays all around, Black Painted Calipers w/ ZZP Decals and Rockblocker Smoked Tail Light Covers !!

Comment

the Potenza RE050 is the stock oe original equipment tire that came with the summer only tire package option. Sometimes tire manufacturers make special tires for manufacturers only and even the dealers can not get exact replacement. Re050 (A and PP(Pole Position)) should be readily available but differ in price and rubber composition.

The RE750 is another Bridgestone "Ultra Performance" tire that offers higher tread wear rating as well as a higher traction rating. Competively priced and in some sizes cheaper than 050 series.

For winter use Bridgestone offers the "Blizzak" line of snow tires that are second to none.
            06' GTP Coupe 6MT

Comment

i don't know about snow tires (I live in FL... DUH). But the RE050 are a great performing tire. best summer performance tire would be the Bridgestone Potenza RE 960AS Pole Position. if you want something a lil grippier the Bridgestone S03 Pole Position is second to none for handling and traction (save for drag radials).

as far as size availability, 225/50R18 and 235/40R18 are going to balance out. tire sizes are correlated as in the second number is a profile "series" descriptor (225/50 means the sidewall height is 50% of the tire width). thus thining the width but increasing the series 1 step in each direction balances out overall tire profile (the traction pad).

P.S.
              I could be biased seeing as I work for BFRC America (Bridgestone Firestone Retail Centers). Only tires I put on my vehicle are Michelins or Bridgestones. Because as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for."
              White '06 G6 V6 Sedan 1SV
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Pioneer DEH-P6600DVD
              2 Infinity Kappa Perfect6.1 6 1/2" Components
              2 Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6"x9" 3-ways
              2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQ 12" Subs
              MA Audio M489i 800w 4-channel Amp
              MA Audio HK802SX 4400w 2-channel AMP
              AlumaPro CAP5 5 Farad High Flow Capacitor
              10% Llumar Tint

Comment

I dont know about the g6, but I love BFGoodrich KDW-2 tires on my VR4... they cut my 60ft from a 1.9 to a 1.7 just by switching tires...

Im thinking about putting them on the g6 once I get new shoes for her...
                -D.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe, 1994 Mitsubishi GTO TT, 1998 Ford F150 XLT, 2004 Ford F250 PSD - The Beast!!!

Comment

Tire Ratings

Where do you find the tire ratings on Pirelli Tires?

Comment

Ok, quick question since I'm looking into getting new tires. If I were to keep 225/50r17 on the back and put 235/50r17 on the front, one:will that fit and two: will that increase performance as they did with the gxp
                    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I would think it would increase performance from a straight line aspect as you would get less wheel spin, but I don't think it would help, as far as handling goes, I'd think it would make it worse.

I do not know for sure. I think the GP GXP needed them to reduce torque steer
                      BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                      ^ The Man
                      v The Legend

Comment

But I'm wondering how much worse. Cause I read they did that with the GXP and it got me thinking about my car. Its $20 cheaper for the larger tires but that not that big of a deal. I want to know if I would perform better with them
                        BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I cannot give you a definitve answer either way
                          BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                          ^ The Man
                          v The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                            How about: Snow handling? Potenzas have to suck in the snow.
                            x2 the ones off my truck suck ass in the snow
                            Originally posted by TLS2000
                            They cleaned my thing out
                            g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                            2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
                              What is the "two tread design" thing with the KDW?
                              is it something only on KDW2
                              is it the diff between KDW and KDW2
                              or something else?
                              KDW2 is just the second version, they are quieter and have slightly better grip.

Comment

Working...
                              X