HID Kit Installation by Dealer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Kit Installation by Dealer!

Anybody know if dealers are willing to install HID Kit and they will still honor the warranty? I would imagine that the installation would be costly ? Has anyone else done that?

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

I wouldnt hold your breath on that one because usually the only way something like that is warrantied by the dealership is if its a GM part! I'm sure they would install it for you (with a crazy ass labor price) but not cover it under warranty!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I don't think they can. There's something about not being able to install HID on a car that didn't come stock with em, right?
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I'm sure a dealership will install anything on anycar (for the money) but like I said you warrenty will expire as soon as you leave the dealership probably hahaha Pluuus if you install it yourself and something fucks up you can remove it all and go to the dealership and be like.. I don't know what happened hahahaha but if they install it and something messes up, your screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
          I don't think they can. There's something about not being able to install HID on a car that didn't come stock with em, right?
          what? lol
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Isn't there a law that says you can't install HID lighting on a car that didn't come with it? I KNOW I remember something about that. I know we all ignore it too, but isn't there a law? That's the only reason I would say a DEALER wouldn't touch it.
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I'm sure a dealership will install anything on anycar (for the money) but like I said you warrenty will expire as soon as you leave the dealership probably hahaha Pluuus if you install it yourself and something fucks up you can remove it all and go to the dealership and be like.. I don't know what happened hahahaha but if they install it and something messes up, your screwed!
              I think some guy here on the forum got the dealer to install a hid like bulb hm.....don't know that person's G6 warranty ends after he went out the door!!

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

That was more a figure of speech... because if the dealership could install any aftermarket part and have it be covered... I seriously would take out a loan for 6grand get the supercharger have the dealership put it on just to beat the SNOT out of the car and have it covered haha... Now if GM developed a supercharger for lets say the 3.9L you could purchase that, have the dealership put it on and have it covered (should be covered). Much like the SRT4's stage 2 package which is covered under warranty and get the neon up around 300 horse I believe!!!

Comment

I don't know about there being a law...but if the headlights are ridiculously bright or very colored you will probably get pulled over.
                  -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

When those blueish lightbulbs came out they caused a lot of problems if your car didn't come with them from the factory. But they got so common I don't think they cared anymore.

Comment

i'll try to clear this up for all

yes there is a law against installing HID lights on any vehicle that did NOT come stock with them. the law is funny though, because in actuality the only reason it is ILLEGAL, is because there is NO DOT APPROVED HID KIT on the market. the DOT will not approve an aftermarket kit because there are to many factors that don't match up when upgrading from halogen to Xenon. this being the case, the entire swap then becomes illegal, hence the reason it is illegal to put HID's into a car that dosn't come with them stock. for anyone who feels like doing a bit of light reading, here is a link from HELLA themselves stating the same.

not that i am against HID's actually to the contrary, i am probably one of the biggest advocates for them. if you are going to install them you should take a few things in to consideration.

1. get a color VERY close to white light. - if you buy anything above 8k you will most likely get pulled over and ticketed. reason - even if you had a halogen light this blue or purple, you would get pulled over so stay with white

2. if you can get a projectore setup, this will eliminate a lot of glare, and focus your beams better for an overall better result.

3. buy a good kit. remeber that there are a lot of chepies out there that claim a lot of shat. if you go with a good kit you won't have half the issues you think you would.

now this is just advice, again go look at the page i posted here. at the very bottom there are more links to info on the legality of HID conversion / retrofits
                      2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Making the world go round since "1981"

Comment

i think there is more to it than just the fact that aftermarket kits are not DOT approved. last i heard it was still illegal to take a DOT approved OEM stock HID setup from another vehicle and retrofit it into a different vehicle. i have ECE legal projectors in my truck which are not DOT stamped because the cutoff lines are different (among other things i am sure) but even though i did a complete retro-fit and the setup looks and operates the same as a stock OEM setup, even if i had used DOT approved projectors the setup would still be illegal.

Comment

Dealers can't install non-GM parts and have GM warranty them. If you install the HID's yourself, and they fry your wiring harness, the dealership can void the warranty on your wiring harness.

sigpic
                          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Wouldn't there be a warning or something on the box then? A lot of aftermarket halogen bulbs say things like "For Off Road Use Only", or "Please check local laws before installing."

I'll have to check out the box and manual for my HIDs.
                            -Mike #1

Comment

even though your projector setup is "the same" as the factory, it's still "illegal". the lines that are drawn on legality are very thin. for example, even some DOT approved things can be illegal, but that just boils down to local state regulations (i believe) the DOT can approve things, but your state still doesn't have to in other words. let's take steel studded tires for example. the DOT approves them all, but different states have different laws that govern how or if you can use them. CT for example only allows you to use them certain months out of the year, where as i am sure a state like Alaska will let you use them year round, and adversley a state like Florida has probably banned them altogether (for good reason). keep in mind the above is just my opinion (don't quote me for shit! ) and is still basically an educated guess based on the little bit of reading i have done.
                              2005 G6 GT - slapstick - stealth grey mettalic - Leather, panoramic, heated seats, , 17'' chromes, Hyper White LED map, dome, and plate lights, 30% tint, intake resonator removed, and all other options available for 2005 GT. ECE spec projector headlight retrofit coming next.

Making the world go round since "1981"

Comment

Working...
                              X