How To: Stop the dome light from rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Stop the dome light from rattling

For those of you with subs, you know how annoying the dome light rattle is. Even some of you without them get this rattle so here's how to fix it. (Thanks to Interfire for the idea )

All you have to do is get some clear silicon from Walmart or wherever. I got mine for 3 bucks. This is the one I used:

Just put a thin layer of silicon like this on the flat end of the light refractor like this:

Let it dry for an hour, or blow dry it till its hard and you're done. No more stupid dome light rattle.
    Blue Man Group

Hmmm I've heard of some people having this rattle, but I've never experienced it myself. I still have the door-lock rattle problem, with no idea how to fix it.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I use to have that rattle. but i just stuck a penny up there

Have anyone took out that light and put a colored one there?
      thats what i wanna do is that that one out and put a blue one

Comment

Many people, including me, have red led's in there.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
        Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
        Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
        -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Originally posted by SS Soldado

I put LED's in mine. Its the same concept I just chose white instead of red or blue. See here:

http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12355
          Blue Man Group

Comment

i put red bulbs up there

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by SS Soldado

Check out V-leds.com there great. I got a 48 red led circuit for the dorm.
              http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/Prod ... /SFV/32481

Comment

Re: How To: Stop the dome light from rattling

hell yeah. mine rattles and drives me up the wall. im 6'4" and it is right there by my head. so do you get this to dry before or after you put it back in place?
                2008 Pontiac G6 GT, Silver, debadged(money saver)

2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax, Silver(my fast toy)

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Green(mud toy)

1987 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, blue(project truck)

Comment

Mine started doing this as well not long ago, along with the door lock rattle. Usually only when I have the radio turned up. I'm definately going to try this.
                  Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                  I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                  Originally posted by ahuhn
                  i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Let it dry. Otherwise you will glue your lens in. It basically acts as a silicone spacer.
                    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

thats exactly the reason i asked, cause that is what i was thinking.
                      2008 Pontiac G6 GT, Silver, debadged(money saver)

2004 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax, Silver(my fast toy)

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, Green(mud toy)

1987 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, blue(project truck)

Comment

I don't have rattling but creaking all over the damn place, drives me absolutely crazy!!!!! I just turn the music up but when I have passengers everyone can hear it!!!!
                        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I used this little trick and it worked great. I let it dry for about an hour and a half, made sure it was dry and snapped it back up. No rattle
                          Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                          I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                          Originally posted by ahuhn
                          i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

anyone have any trouble getting their dome light back up after this? i see there is 3 "clips" to hold it in one at the front and 2 at the sides i can only get one of the sides in at a time with the front one :S
                            Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

Originally posted by xlemosx View Post
                              anyone have any trouble getting their dome light back up after this? i see there is 3 "clips" to hold it in one at the front and 2 at the sides i can only get one of the sides in at a time with the front one :S
                              just give it a light tap with your hand, it should snap back into place
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X