Installed my amp and sub today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed my amp and sub today

Man, what a nice change from the basslink. Finally, I have something that can be heard! Although I must say the amp isn't as powerful as I thought it was, it's a Kicker KX400.1. I'll probably sell it and buy a KX600.1 somewhere down the road. The sub is a Kicker 10" L5 solo-baric mounted in a fancy enclosure, thing is freakin' heavy!

The ground wire is kinda bothering me because of the way it runs across the top, but the only good ground I could find was on the upper taillight bolt. I didn't wanna drill into the body, but I may have to. Ah well. On to the pics!

Yea, I kinda aimed the trunk LED bulb to shine onto it!

The trunk on the coupe really rattles a lot. I think something's loose, I'm gonna look at it good in the daylight.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

That looks good mike. Could you not find any brackets or bolts under the rear seat for a ground?
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

cool, how's it hit? I know what you mean about the basslink.. it's a nice boost, but far from what even a basic sub/amp combo can provide.
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

nice and clean, matches well also

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
          That looks good mike. Could you not find any brackets or bolts under the rear seat for a ground?
          really didn't look around under there. Do of you know any that are easily accessible? That area would be perfect.
          -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

rear seats come out extremely easily - just grab under the front part of the seat, pull out, and pull up. piece of cake!
            Originally posted by colinpeddle
            They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
            That here, by G6er law, we lie
            Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
            THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Yea I pulled them up a bit when running the wires under there..but you can actually just pull them up and out without unscrewing anything?!
              -Mike #1

Comment

that looks sweet as hell man...i need my trunk space though for going golfing and crap so no subs for me (at least for now)
                -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

yeah man, that looks very good. I wish I could have done mine on my own, but nevertheless it is done. that look is hot and it sounds like you are in the same boat I am with the amp. How's the sound though?
                  "DUB G6" 20" Diablo Fatboy Rims, DUB badge on the trunk, DUB 20" badges on both fenders, Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP Cd/MP3 player, Scosche GMLan Kit, Two Rockford Fosgate 12's, Rockfard Fosgate Amp. Tint 20% Rear/40% Front.

Next: Aftermarket headlights, Remove Pinstripes, DVD player In The Glove Compartment & Two Tv's In The Headrest With Wireless Headphones. There Is No G6 Cleaner Than Mine.

Comment

well I haven't driven with it yet, nor have I adjusted it correctly (with the gain), but from what I heard in my driveway it sounds pretty good I thinik. The trunk rattle sucks, but I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can isolate it. The sub could definitely use more power though, it's peak wattage is 900, RMS is 450. The amp's peak output is around 428
                    -Mike #1

Comment

that amp will be more than enough to push that amp, I know someone with the same set up and its fucking loud... just take a while to set it up and tune it the right way. Don't be to quick to turn the gain and any bass boosts up high because that doesnt always help acctually it will hurt the sound way more. Usually what I do is set the gain quarter way and tune the headunit untill I get it where I like it and if tuning the headunit doesnt get it where I want, I set the head unit back to zero (bass, treble, etc) and turn the gain up to half way and tune the headunit again!!! Best bet is to find some empty lot where cops and people wont harrass you!!
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Yea. It just sounds like that sub can take a lot more power. In my old car, I had a Kicker KX550.2 pushing a single 12" CompVR..that sub took a beating man.
                        -Mike #1

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                          Yea I pulled them up a bit when running the wires under there..but you can actually just pull them up and out without unscrewing anything?!
                          yea, just give it little bit more of a yank.

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                          Yea. It just sounds like that sub can take a lot more power. In my old car, I had a Kicker KX550.2 pushing a single 12" CompVR..that sub took a beating man.
                          The thing you want to try and match with any sub and amp is rms power, peak power is hardly useful for anything else but advertising the amp/sub. You'll get the most longevity and best output from a sub if you match it up with its recommended power handling.

Do you know what the rms rating for your sub is?
                          Originally posted by colinpeddle
                          They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                          That here, by G6er law, we lie
                          Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                          THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

that amp will be more than enough to push that amp, I know someone with the same set up and its fucking loud... just take a while to set it up and tune it the right way. Don't be to quick to turn the gain and any bass boosts up high because that doesnt always help acctually it will hurt the sound way more. Usually what I do is set the gain quarter way and tune the headunit untill I get it where I like it and if tuning the headunit doesnt get it where I want, I set the head unit back to zero (bass, treble, etc) and turn the gain up to half way and tune the headunit again!!! Best bet is to find some empty lot where cops and people wont harrass you!!
                            Noah i agree with you, but with the factory HU still installed, as in my case I do it a little different. I setup the Hu with just the factory speakers on to almost max listening level (which is how i normally listen so maybe just normal listening level. Then i go back to the amp and sub and adjust at listening volume. Factory HUs just dont have enough adjustment in them to save for final adjustment. Just my opinion tho. :smoke:
                            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

true, good point!
                              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X