This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem and Steering Lockup issue

Yesterday I recieved a call from a GM Rep in Michigan (to see if I was satisfied with my G6) nd told him of the starting problem that I was having. He said there may be a PCM reflash needed. I also asked him about the steering lockup issue. He sounded genuinely concerned about it. I told him that everyone that I talk to has gotten nowhere with whoever they talked to. He is in the main building I guess and a tech is supposed to be calling me today to get more info from me. Just thought i'd let you know about that and hopefully we can start getting it straightened out. (steering lockup has not happened to me, but only had the car for 2500 miles)
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

i never heard of a steering lockup problem on G6's...what kind of starting problem exactly?
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

When you turn the key to start the car, after releasing the key it continues to crank.

SSSS member #2

Comment

that's what i figured...mine does that every now and then...embarassing...let me know what you find out
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

wow, I didn't know other people were having this problem also. yes it is embarrasing. please post whatever you find out.
          "DUB G6" 20" Diablo Fatboy Rims, DUB badge on the trunk, DUB 20" badges on both fenders, Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP Cd/MP3 player, Scosche GMLan Kit, Two Rockford Fosgate 12's, Rockfard Fosgate Amp. Tint 20% Rear/40% Front.

Next: Aftermarket headlights, Remove Pinstripes, DVD player In The Glove Compartment & Two Tv's In The Headrest With Wireless Headphones. There Is No G6 Cleaner Than Mine.

Comment

I have this problem also. Sometimes it stops cranking after a while without starting the engine. When I try again it starts but is rough for a bit like its flooded or something.
            -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

While I hope that GM comes up with a solution to starter problem, I wouldn't hold my breath. The 3400's did that sometimes, as does the 3900 at times. I've always been told that GM considers it "normal".

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I found out that this is normal because of the remote start feature for 2006. The car will continue to crank until the car is running. It sounds logical now that I think about it. Basically, if you crank it once it should keep going until the car starts(within reason) I talk to the tech at GM's head quarters and he was genuinely surprised about the steering lockup, he said he know of a problem occasionally when stopped or backing up with the steering sticking for a second and that was an electrical error because the steering is last in line for electrical priority, so sometimes it suffers. He said for that, there will be a pcm reprogram I believe. He said he is definately going to research the lock up too.

SSSS member #2

Comment

thank you for posting that. that definitely takes a load off my mind. Now whenever it does it again and I have a female in the car, I will explain it to her just like that, lol.
                  "DUB G6" 20" Diablo Fatboy Rims, DUB badge on the trunk, DUB 20" badges on both fenders, Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP Cd/MP3 player, Scosche GMLan Kit, Two Rockford Fosgate 12's, Rockfard Fosgate Amp. Tint 20% Rear/40% Front.

Next: Aftermarket headlights, Remove Pinstripes, DVD player In The Glove Compartment & Two Tv's In The Headrest With Wireless Headphones. There Is No G6 Cleaner Than Mine.

Comment

I'm not sure how it cranking for like 6-10 seconds is normal. That means that the engine hasn't started yet. It would have nothing to do with the remote start. It's nice that it'll keep cranking until the engine starts, but the engine shouldn't need to crank that much.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

it makes sense, the engine isnt gonna start unless it is cranking

Comment

Reread what I said. The engine should not have to crank for that long to start. It should start very quickly. GM's 60* v6's are known for this and it makes a lot of owners nervous when their brand new car has a hard time starting.

I know it's normal. I think it's great that the car will keep cranking it for you without you holding onto the key. I'm just saying that it's a little embarassing to pump the car full of gas, and then have it take 6-10 seconds to start while everyone is looking at it thinking that it's broken down.

sigpic

Comment

yeh true i guess, roll down the window at the people staring and offer them a race

unless you know you will lose

Comment

My sister had this problem with her 2001 malibu they had to reprogram starter they did it a few times still not perfect but better then it was before
                            they said when it takes that long to start not like old starters that would grind & grind does not hurt the car
                            but very true sucks with brandnew car tons of people around & the car sounds like it does not wanna start i am going to take mine in to have it fixed
                            My Best 1/4mile time 14.94 auto gtp

Comment

I've been having this problem on and off for the 8 months I've had my car, NOW its starting to get to the point where the car will sound like its going to start do the stupid excess crank noise and then not start!
                              Originally posted by Toyz
                              Originally posted by simplyred
                              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X