GTP shifter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTP shifter problems

I think the linkage on my 2006 GTP six speed manual transmission needs adjustment. When you shift from 1st to 2nd if you do not pause in the neutral position or about half the time you can feel the gear does not mesh well and it sometimes jumps out of 1st. Does anyone know if there is an adjustment procedure out there. I Called my dealer and his first response was that the linkage was hydrolic and had no adjustment.

Another member had posted this here. As far as I know there hasn't been any info about an easy fix. How many miles on the vehicle?
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I'm going through the same issue, and here is where I stand.

Randomly when shifting from first to second or second to third the gears wont sync causing grinding, sometime is a small amount sometime it just refuses to go in gear, but that’s rare. Also downshifting into first can be really stiff. No other problems with 4th 5th or 6th. The problem is more apparent when cold.

First time I took it in they couldn’t reproduce the problem, so the next day I went out for a drive with the service manager and he noticed it when I pointed it out to him. I was going to be at sea for 2 days so I left the car with them, and they found was a part missing on the linkage witch was causing the issue.

Currently they're not able to order in the part so they had to order an entire transmission from the factory. Being Christmas time they estimated that it would be 3 weeks for it come, witch I have no problem with because I’m heading home for 3 weeks tomorrow and the car is completely drivable.

I’ll keep you updated.
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
        Another member had posted this here. As far as I know there hasn't been any info about an easy fix. How many miles on the vehicle?
        Car has had the problem from the begining. I first thought is was just me getting used to the shifter and the gas ( being fly by wire ) but now the car has 900 miles. I feel that it is not me but the car. I have had plenty of six speeds so the stick is not the problem.I can shift without the noise but you must pause in the neutral gate before going to 2nd. No exactly what a sports car is supposed to drive like.

Comment

yes i also have that problem i thought it was me since i've been driving a f-150 with a much longer clutch and i was just thinking i had to get used to it but now that you say that it feels the same way.
          06 Black Gtp 6speed

Comment

Originally posted by Jimc4273
            Originally posted by G6Performance
            Car has had the problem from the begining. I first thought is was just me getting used to the shifter and the gas ( being fly by wire ) but now the car has 900 miles. I feel that it is not me but the car. I have had plenty of six speeds so the stick is not the problem.I can shift without the noise but you must pause in the neutral gate before going to 2nd. No exactly what a sports car is supposed to drive like.
            do you have, excess freeplay in your clutch? You said it happened from the beginning but as you've driven standard cars before you know what and what should not be there ya know.
            regaurdless if its hydraulic, there is always room for adjustment when it comes to driveline, if it wasnt adjustable you would not be able to shift. I say take it into the dealer and make them fix it, and give you a loaner in the meantime, they can and should do it for you. I mean you did sign a contract for the thing and pay X amount of thousands of dollars, its the least they can do, not to mention a warranty haha I hope you get it taken care of!!
            jeff
            05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
            90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
            1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
            F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Comment

I'm not sure if the linkage is the same as the Cobalt SS manual tranny-you never know it might be, just the linkage I know nothing else is the same. If it is the same they have been having mass loads of problems in the same area of getting the shifter locked up in a certain gear or not being able to downshift/upshift. If I remember correctly it was said that there was a pin that is susceptable to breaking and is the cause of the whole problem. Then again I may be completely wrong.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I've noticed the same thing with the 6-speed as well. I find that it is sometimes tough to shift smoothly between gears due to some sort of resistance within the gearbox. Also when down shifting I have noticed that the car will jerk slightly when the gear engages. This is somewhat dissappointing as I expected an improvement over my 2000 sunfire (5-speed) which shifts alot nicer.
                2006 Fusion Orange G6 GTPOS Coupe 6MT ~ #75
                Vision Bulbs 6000k HID Xenon low beams

Comment

I have the 6-speed as well.....and it is difficult to change gears as well.....just doesn't seem like the transition is as nice as it should be. I think I will end up taking mine in as well.
                  Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
                  GT-R Exhaust System
                  K&N Typhoon CAB
                  EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
                  EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

I've had my G6 for over 2 months and seem to have similar issues with the trany grinding when shifting, 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd all the rest are a little notchy but no grinding. I had driven 3 different G6's before I bought this one and they all seem to have the same problem to different degrees. The dealer said he called GM and there were not any technical bulletins out at this time. When I take it in for the 3000 mile check I'm gonna see if there is anything new from GM on the problem. I saw a comment in another blog that GM had identified the problem and it was going to be fixed in all G6's manufactured after Jan 06. I think I'll be going back and test driving one of the newer ones this spring just to see.
                    Silver G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Buy an auto, lol.

Just messin with you guys, like I said before I know the tranny's are different but the Cobalt SS's are having similar problems and has to do with a pin in their linkage.
                      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I'm wondering if this issue is what caused me to screw up my shift back in December and screw up my engine.

I remember having a very hard time getting it into fourth gear. I tried letting it sit in neutral for a second and then tried again and still couldn't get it into gear. I then pushed it down hard and ended up getting into second gear.

Since I got the car back from the dealership, I haven't had any problems until yesterday, when the temperature was hovering around 0 (celcius), I again had a hard time shifting to fourth. I went to sixth and had no problem getting it in there.

Occasionally the gears grind when skip shifting from fourth to sixth, as well.

sigpic
                        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Hmmm strange, I'm glad I haven't experienced any of this with mine!!!

And HOLY HUGE AVATAR BATMAN
                          2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki
                            Hmmm strange, I'm glad I haven't experienced any of this with mine!!!

And HOLY HUGE AVATAR BATMAN
                            That makes 2 of us.
                            2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                            Forge Motorsports BPV
                            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                            HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Originally posted by BassFisherman
                              . I saw a comment in another blog that GM had identified the problem and it was going to be fixed in all G6's manufactured after Jan 06. I think I'll be going back and test driving one of the newer ones this spring just to see.
                              All the GTP's with 6 MT's manufactured after Jan. 01, 2006, will be equipped with close-ratio shifters. These shifters will have an improved feel and more positive shift action.
                              2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                              Forge Motorsports BPV
                              CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                              HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                              HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Working...
                              X