Maintenance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance Question

When changing the transmission fluid, is there just a filter I need to change or does the system need to be flushed by a professional???

i assume youre talking about the automatic transmission
    heres your answer from a professional:

change the filter and flush it out.
    when you only change the filter you are only able to change the fluid that is in the transmisson pan, which is about 35-45%. so get it flushed out or you will just be mixing new and old fluid
    its might just be a family sedan, but girls love this car

Comment

Why change the tranny fluid soo soon???

Comment

I allways thought if you trany is fine leave it alone or is that just old cars?
        ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
        .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

I thought tranny's nearly always mess up after replacing the fluid?
          2007 G6 GTP Coupe 3.6 L VVT
          - 6 Speed Automatic
          - Premium Leather Package

Coming soon:
          - Chrome lower grill inserts
          - Spoiler

Comment

It says to change it at 50,000 miles. My car has over 43,000 on it so im thinking about it soon.

Comment

i would for sure flush the fluid

filted is perfered but not as critical

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
              Originally posted by snowmanG6
              you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

A fliud and filter change should be fine. A flush wil be $$$ but then again thats your $$$ and not mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
                Originally posted by [i
                Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Originally posted by velesco
                  It says to change it at 50,000 miles. My car has over 43,000 on it so im thinking about it soon.
                  Are you constantly towing things? If not the tranny is lifetime fill.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i wouldnt let any transmission fluid go a lifetime, its just not a good thing in my eyes. but its all personal opinion i guess, but think of it this way

if heat and friction break down your oil in the engine, the same thing happens in your trans

and you change your oil dont you?

Comment

I always thought GM advertised their trannys as "maintenance free", unless you experience leaks of course.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

nah man i worked at a GM dealership before i got my shop and we always had people changing the fluid at 50k

Comment

Lifetime is what I have always heard on the automatics.

Comment

i had my trans flushed (torque converter and all) around 75k miles or so and it made a pretty big difference. it ran fine, never had any problems with it, but after i got it flushed i noticed that it shifted a lot smoother. it's probably fine to leave it alone, but it doesn't hurt to maintain it either.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin20s
                              nah man i worked at a GM dealership before i got my shop and we always had people changing the fluid at 50k
                              Just because you worked at a dealership doesn't mean that you followed what was in the owners manual. Don't make me go quote it. It isn't opinion. It is what the manufacturer recommends.

sigpic
                              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Working...
                              X