Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint shop visits making paint rough

Asking this for a friend...

His car has been hit twice, and been in the paint shop twice and repainted. Now some of the not repainted parts feel very rough, even after waxing using a sealant.

What should he be using to restore the original texture?
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Did he try using a claybar? That usually smooths a surface out greatly.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

It's most likely just CC overspray, in which case you will have to use a more aggressive clay bar or wetsand it. You could also polish it out too, any of the above. Basically orange peel is what I'd put it on, and or with some paint contaminants.

Comment

But it's the not resprayed parts that feel extremely rough. Even the headlights feel so. Could it be the paint thinner that contaminated the other parts of the clearcoat?
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Probably just surface contamination then, try a claybar and see how that goes. Sounds like that should do it.

Comment

It's over spray from the clear coat. The clear coat stays air born, then settles on unprotected areas of the car, to leave a gritty surface. Kinda feels like running your hand over very, very fine sand paper. That's the problem with some shops. When doing touch ups, they don't cover the entire car. Take it back to the shop. They should be able to remove it. Most times, it'll come off with a bit of reducer. Of course, that would depend on the amount of over spray.

PS. DON'T try to remove it yourself. Have the shop do it.

http://www.sharpshooterv1.com/index.php?act=idx

Comment

I know this is old but here is my .02. It is definately over spray. And the shop will take care of it for you. When I was in the business, we used steel wool to remove overspray from the windows and a clay bar for the body panels. And like others stated, if its too bad, a paint reducer and or a polish must be used (machine polish).
              2007 G6 GT w/sport package (leather seats, sunroof, monsoon stereo)

Vector ECM and TCM tunes
              Home-made CAB air intake
              Custom exhaust w/ Magnaflow muffler

http://www.melvintaylorblues.com

Comment

Working...
              X