How To Take Out Upper Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Take Out Upper Grills

Ok fellas and ladies im gonna try to write up a how to on the upper grills. If there is anything else needed or questions just ask and i'll try to answer them

----FACTORY GRILL painted with bottom marks shown

----OUTSIDE COVER OF GRILL (CHROME)
    To take this off without damaging your car visibly i would advise to put tape on the car if you want and use a new playing card. Also once you get a small flat head in between the cover and the car, pry it toward the chrome(just to clarify: pull handle of screwdriver toward the chrome) not the car, as it will push paint in a smudge(if you pry toward car, if you pry toward chrome shouldnt do any damage).

You will notice by the pictures where the clips should be and i would start with the other edge first, then you can pull a little and it will work itself off the rest of way. If you have problems with this use the flathead to help get rest of clips out, again pry toward chrome as if it does leave mark it will be behind trim instead of on bumper!!!!!

----INNER GRILL
    Once you have chrome off this is what you will see. You can see the 4 clips for the inner grill. Start with the bottom one, pop it out with flathead screwdriver and it will almost fall the rest of way out. Shouldnt need but to take the one clip out and you can wiggle to get rest if needed.

HERE IS CLIP UP CLOSE, THIS IS THE OUTER CLIP

And that is it.
    Last edited by bluegtp33; 06-17-2011, 10:53 PM.

these also leave a small gap at bottom, i guess you could get rid of this problem by not zipping it so tight though

This was the the prototype Figure grills. oh well long gone now
    Last edited by bluegtp33; 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM.

Comment

yea i noticed that gap on the very first pic you posted
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

thanks for the write up.
        06' G6 GT SEDAN,LIQUID SILVER,35%TINT, HARDWIRE RADAR,REMOTE START,PAN. SUNROOF,NOKYA HEADLIGHT AND FOG BULBS,BLUE REVERSE LIGHTS,HID ON THERE WAY,SPOILER TO BE INSTALLED

Comment

the lower grills arent really a problem to get out, excep that the adhesive tape is all over the place on it and it is some strong stuff, the clips you can easily get to and out no problem from underneath the car

i didnt get mine completely out as i had to end up leaving, but a thin sharp object would work,and you can go from inside the bottom to avoid damage to car

Comment

Painted my grilles this last weekend. This How-to definitely helped - taking the grilles out only took about 5 minutes.

The only thing I would suggest to anyone painting their grilles is to be careful when reinistalling the chrome surrounds. It's a tight fit to snap the surrounds back into place - they will rub against the grille. This can scratch your beautifully painted grille, causing you to swear.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
              Painted my grilles this last weekend. This How-to definitely helped - taking the grilles out only took about 5 minutes.

The only thing I would suggest to anyone painting their grilles is to be careful when reinistalling the chrome surrounds. It's a tight fit to snap the surrounds back into place - they will rub against the grille. This can scratch your beautifully painted grille, causing you to swear.
              been there done that. I waited a week before I reinstalled them to make sure the paint was hard and wouldn't scratch off.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i didnt have a problem sliding mine back in without scratching paint

but i did miss while putting the chrome back in and had to take it back out, so be slow and careful on that part

Comment

I have no patience, I would try to reinstall them very carefully an hour after painting.
                  BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                  ^ The Man
                  v The Legend

Comment

lower grill

I havent got under the car to really see, but how do you get the lower grills out?
                    drive it like you stole it

Comment

thats the same question i have
                      35% front/5% all-around tint, chrome grill,
                      MTEC headlight bulbs, cold air box, redline tuning, LED reverse bulbs, passport x50 blue, custom catback system, painted headlights, shaved badges

Comment

you have to "cut" then out. Yes there is double sided tape holding them to the bumper, so you have to take a knife or something sharp and CAREFULLY cut around the grill.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I've got a picture of taking them off in progress, plus another showing where the tape is.... I just cannot find it.

Once I get my replacements, I'll do a full how-to on removing/replacing them if we still need it (ie. no one else has done it).

Will post that pic asap.
                          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

-

The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Colin - Why did you remove the lower grilles? Did you replace them with chrome ones?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543500/1

Comment

Working...
                              X