Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote and Key Programming

Hey There,

I was able to purchase the keyless entry FOB with the remote start and a spare key from EBAY. Any ballpark figures what I should expect to pay to have these two items programmed at the dealer? I was able to see that my car did have the remote start option.

Thanks!
    Chris

Last time I lost a remote and bought a replacement on eBay. Went to the dealer I do my oil changes and they quickly added my remote for free.

Expect the regular rates, but takes less than a minute.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

the key i believe you can do yourself.

the FOB, no.

the process with the key i think is pretty easy. you put the original in, and turn the ACC on, and remove, do the same with the new one.

I think...
      -Lucy-
      2006 Silver Gt Coupe
      3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
      sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

they programmed my spare fob for free

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

at my dealer we typicaly do it for free if your there for something else otherwise its like $10 if they feel like charging

sometimes if there lazy itll be free

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

When I got my 6 it only had one keyfob, I got them to throw another in. I had to go back a few days later, and it took them about 15 minutes. I have the factory remote start though. No idea what they did though either.
            2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
            Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
            Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
            2005 CGM GTO.
            386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
            2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
              When I got my 6 it only had one keyfob, I got them to throw another in. I had to go back a few days later, and it took them about 15 minutes. I have the factory remote start though. No idea what they did though either.
              they have to use a tech2 to pair a remote with the car. it cannot be done by a DIYer
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                at my dealer we typicaly do it for free if your there for something else otherwise its like $10 if they feel like charging

sometimes if there lazy itll be free
                Geez, it's $37.50 to program a remote at my dealer

Originally posted by kgeier82
                the key i believe you can do yourself.

the FOB, no.

the process with the key i think is pretty easy. you put the original in, and turn the ACC on, and remove, do the same with the new one.

I think...
                I always thought you had to turn the engine on with the original key and then put the new key in within 5 seconds and turn the engine on with that 1. That's how I always tell my customers to program them.

Comment

exact key programming instructions are

With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
                  Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
                  Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  Originally posted by snowmanG6
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Thanks for posting that. You could do that in a How To.
                    I know, sounds simple, but a good place for people to find it. It can also be added to the FAQ.
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Wow, didn't realize I could program my own key, but not my new spare fob! I figured it would be the other way around! They gave me an extra key when I bought the car, but it wouldn't allow the car to start. I have an ebay fob, and figured I could do this myself as I did with my '00 Blazer.

Now, the ebay fob has the button for remote start, but my car does not have this option. Will the fob still function in the door lock/remote trunk/alarm areas, or will I need to get one only for what I already have?
                      2005 Poncho G6 SE- 3.5L, tints, 70k
                      1995 Caprice 9C1- LT1, 116k

http://www.fallenofficermemorial9c1.org

Comment

Originally posted by LT1KICKER
                        Wow, didn't realize I could program my own key, but not my new spare fob! I figured it would be the other way around! They gave me an extra key when I bought the car, but it wouldn't allow the car to start. I have an ebay fob, and figured I could do this myself as I did with my '00 Blazer.

Now, the ebay fob has the button for remote start, but my car does not have this option. Will the fob still function in the door lock/remote trunk/alarm areas, or will I need to get one only for what I already have?
                        Check your hood latch, see if there's a switch there. You might actually have remote start. Check your original remote fob, and see if there's a (+) sign.
                        <-- Gray G6? Click!
                        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                          Originally posted by LT1KICKER

Check your hood latch, see if there's a switch there. You might actually have remote start. Check your original remote fob, and see if there's a (+) sign.
                          A "+" does not necessarily indicate the presence of remote start. It simply means the vehicle is equipped with the extended-range remote transmitters, which are required to support the remote-start feature. It is possible (at least in earlier model years) to have the "+" system without the remote start.

Originally posted by Owner's Manual
                          Remote Start Ready
                          (Automatic Transmission Only)

If your vehicle does not have the remote vehicle start
                          feature, it may have the remote start ready feature. This
                          feature allows your dealer to add the manufacturer’s
                          remote vehicle start feature.
                          If the keyless entry transmitter has a plus (+) symbol
                          on the back cover, your vehicle has the remote
                          start ready feature. You can lock or unlock your vehicle
                          from approximately 197 feet (60 m) away.
                          See your dealer if you would like to add the
                          manufacturer’s remote vehicle start feature to
                          your vehicle.
                          2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                          X