Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is rim scrape fixable?

Hey all,

Long story short, some asshat in a BMW wasn't paying attention and I was forced to scrape the curb. Now part of my rim is messed up right next to the tire. Is there anyway to get this fixed, short of replacing the whole wheel?

Here are a couple of pics of where and what it looks like.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/ ... _front.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/ ... e_side.jpg
    Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.
    Originally posted by schenko
    If I could have a woody, I would.

we have people that come and fix curb rash where i work. i'm not sure how they do it or what it looks like when they are done but it has to be a large improvement or we wouldn't keep paying them to do it

Comment

If you have a Dremel or another comparable rotary tool, you may be able to smooth it out. Also, some Fine grit sandpaper would come in handy for finishing.
      2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
      Forge Motorsports BPV
      CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
      HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
      HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

shit if they were driving a BMW you should have just let them hit you!
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

the previous person to drive my car musta drove all over curbs, because my wheels are rashed to hell, luckily they are getting sandblasted and chromed soon
          2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

so then it'd be like grinding it down basically? Won't there be a gap then? Or something like a dip from where it was grinded smooth?
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

ouch after looking at it again, almost looks like it got bent...hmm not good.

Mine are just scuffed, the paint is scuffed but the metal is fine. This case looks deeper.
              2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

You could grind it down and then use high grit sand paper to get the polished look back, you'll have a little dip there but it'll look 10x better than it does now.

Comment

theres a place near where i live that refinishes wheels no matter what the damage is, no matter if its OEM wheels or high dollars chrome shit, $125 ive seen there work its incedible, and they only have the wheel for 3 days
                  its might just be a family sedan, but girls love this car

Comment

Yea, after looking at that picture from the side, I can see where it looks like it got bent against the tire.

I have a couple of leads on wheel repair shops. I'm going to hit them up tomorrow and see what they think. Hopefully it's just curb rash and not something major.
                    Member: Blue Man Group---Mods: Chrome upper/lower recessed grills, CRAB Intakes CAB, Solar Gard 37/23 tint, VMS ECM tune, GT-R exhaust.

Comment

Wheel repair can be done, it is usually pretty expensive, but it is an art if they are good! I have a buddy who tossed around going to special classes to learn it.
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Well hopefully it isn't to much. Considering i've only had my car for 4 days, I'd pay some money to have it fixed.

Comment

I scraped a polished 18" last year much worse than that. A local wheel shop (St. Ann, MO) made it just like new for $150. Would have been $125 but they charged a little more for the polished face.

I have a set of four 18" painted GTP wheels that each have some scrapes. When I can negotiate a package deal with this shop they're all going in to be cleaned up - just not sure if I'll get them returned to stock or something custom. Since they're painted and not polished the shop's offered to do a custom paint scheme for the same $125 each. I'm hoping for $100 each.
                          (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

That's not to bad a price then. Hopefully I'll be around $100 for me then.

The pics I took make it look way worse, since I was about 2 inches from the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                            X