Strange clicking sound from engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange clicking sound from engine bay

Hi all, since this weekend I've got a short clicking/vibrating sound coming from the engine bay. It shows up mostly when I turn left while accelerating. It also happens, but less often, when I do a hard launch. Like when I'm stopped and then mash the gas pedal. It does not do it long, just a couple of seconds. Also today when it happened I thought I could smell rubber/plactic burning after the noise. My CAI has been installed for about 3 weeks. Not sure if it's related. Anyone else has this happened?
    -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

you know what.. I heard it too a couple of times... I readjusted my CAI and it seemed to have stopped. I think its from where theres no support right at the flex tube before the MAF. I moved mine and havent heard it again, but havent launched the car for the most part either! But it was when I was turning left, I thought maybe it was just my car!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

could be the cai, but didnt others have this problem before in another post without the cai

Comment

I have this same problem. Happens when you hit the gas hard. I have a stage 3 intake on it but with help from a friend have determined that is it not the intake but something in side the engine maybe transmission. Only does it in gear and not in park.Mine kinda sounds like a grinding. Help please

Comment

Trust me, if were talking about the same kind of sound it will only do it in gear. When you accelerate hard to the left, I would be willing to bet its the CAI, theres nothing wrong with the design but if you don't adjust it perfectly the MAF is really close to the belt. I bet its a combination of the G's and engine shifting posistion at hard acceleration I would be willing to bet money on it. The noise almost sounds like the blower motor shit the bed, but I adjusted my CAI and brought it up some so it didnt sag so much at the flex near the MAF (raise the CAI up some) if you don't do anything to prop it up a little it sags and like I said puts the MAF right next to the belt. It's not going to be your tranny unless your talking about a different noise! But if we all have CAI (Stage 3) and hear the noise thats what it is because as I said I adjusted mine and it stoped making the noise now!

Comment

This isn't what I had in mind when I said "increases sound"...

Noah, do you think it should be revised? You said you didn't think the design was the problem, but maybe there's a note I could add to my instructions to prevent this.
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I dont think it was a design problem so to speak, I think maybe just not thought about. Heres is a crude picture of the injen intake that they developed, the had the right idea but bad developing. They used one of the supports that the stock air box uses (see pic) Unfort I think people had a problem with it breaking (I dont remember where it broke but someones did). But they also didnt use the stock flex tube which I think caused to much tension when the engine moved. Stage 3 uses the flex tube so it might be more stable and not break!! Unfort the stage 3 is heavy and needs basically one more support to keep it up higher because with the flex right near the MAF it droops down.

This is how the CAI will sit if it's not propped up somewhat or someway

You can see where it's basically sitting on what the power steering pump? It wouldnt take much to shift the engine on a hard accel and while turning get it to rub up against the engine.

Dont Mind the red flakes that not from you but my own stupidity (I painted the flex tubing the first time around )

Now this is how up it should be sitting if we used that brace that the injen did.

You could use a zip tie or anything to keep in up with that support or even something in the hole intake goes down to keep it raised up.

Kinda get what I'm sayin, Im not real technical so I wasnt sure how to technically write it out!? This might not be the problem, but I moved my intake and it stopped, I'm going to hopefully get it stationary when the weather warms up enough for me to think outside.

EDIT: Here are a couple more pics where you can see the brace I'm referring to and how high the filter sits in the fender because if our CAI is not moved up a tad the filter can possibly lay right on the foglight. This one seems alot higher to me but might be my eyes!

Comment

mine fits perfect with no noises when i floor it. i'm very pleased. i put a piece of fabric with doduble back tape on the front of the car where the tube touches before the MAF. i also packed the hole where the intake goes thru rather tight with foam so that it has plenty of support and doesn't move. i have the rubber connector of the 2 pieces of the intake resting above the rubber in the hole adding some more support. works well, sorry if i don't make sense, i went straight from work to the bar and am drunk before 7:30
                -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

oh yeah... but you have yours supported if people dont then they could move and make noise

Comment

Great info guys. I'll see if I prop it up the noises stops. Thanks.
                    -Marc

Comment

I think I found it. The alum tube, probably from the ac, is not retained anymore by the airbox screws. It seems that it grinds on the bolts on the pulley just beside it. If you look at simplyred's pics, the 5th and 6th one, you can see the silver bolts on the black pulley. I just used a temporary zip tie to secure the CAI assembly by tieing it to the hole of the old retaining bold on one side and another zip tie around that tube and thru one hole of the MAF on the other side. So that way, hopefully, the tube can keep it's distance from that pulley. I just did this and I'll see if it worked. Later.
                      -Marc

Comment

Thanks Noah, I'm gonna check out if I can fab a small bracket for it. If I come up with something I'll let you guys know.
                        2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

I'm not sure if this would be the problem.. but it seemed to work for me and was the only thing I could think of!

Comment

See that's the problem I'm having. I put each intake in and drove for a while with every one to test them out. I didn't get the clicking when I had the Stage 3. Thanks for the pics though. I am going to try out a couple things. If I come up with anything I'll send them out to you guys.
                            2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Mine was more of a dull grind almost how a blower motor sounds when it shits the bed. But it would only do it when I turned left and gunned it thats why I thought it would be the intake rubbing!

Comment

Working...
                              X