Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door edge guards to prevent dings while in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door edge guards to prevent dings while in the garage?

I keep both my G6 and my wifes Pacifica in our garage, and twice now my toddlers have thrown the rear door of her car open putting dings in in my new G6. I'm looking for something I can put on her car to prevent this.
    At first I tried that cheap door edge moulding from wal-mart, but apparently it's not thick enough.

Has anybody tried the door guards from carbumper.com? These look like they'll work..
    http://www.carbumper.com/Clear_Door_Protectors_EW5.html

Any other suggestions on how to handle this problem?
    Has been sold -> 2007 Emerald Green Pontiac G6 Sedan V6/Sport

Build a bigger garage?

I think those guards are to protect the door of the car they're on....aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
      I think those guards are to protect the door of the car they're on....aren't they?
      For the most part, yes. Your car will get dinged whether the other car have door guard or not.
      To protect your car from getting dinged, you need to install those wide, ribbed, rubber side mouldings from any 1990's to early 2000's Pontiac.

Comment

I guess you have to stick those pieces of foam that you see on newly delivered cars...
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
        2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
        Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Heres a quick fix that my uncle came up with (depending on size of garage) he hung a pool floaty the one thats flat that you'd lay on. In between the two cars, he has to push it aside when he gets in the car but it obviously doesnt weigh squat. But unless the doors are slammed into the other car it protects them almost 100% of the time!
          Originally posted by Toyz
          Originally posted by simplyred
          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

^I was going to say something similar-they used to actually sell a product similar to that on an infomertial!
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Not a bad idea. I guess you need to think out of the box here, and don't let the kids open the doors.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                ^I was going to say something similar-they used to actually sell a product similar to that on an infomertial!
                Yeah thats acctually where he said he got the idea... except they wanted like $49.99 for an pool floaty hahah. A single sized air mattress would even work better because of its thicker material!!
                Originally posted by Toyz
                Originally posted by simplyred
                what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                  Not a bad idea. I guess you need to think out of the box here, and don't let the kids open the doors.
                  I figure they can't be too old if they are still throwing doors open, so now is a great time to teach them reward & responsibility, one week of their doors being child locked until u let them out, then let them get out themselves but one ding & its back to waiting in the car until ur ready to let them out & that's precious & tedious time for them

p.s. I have no kids, but boy do I remember that (irish catholic dad)
                  Granite 2007 G6 Sedan
                  -15% tint -Lower Grill Chrome -Aftermarket Rims -Partial Debadge -Duplicolor Red Calipers
                  Kawasaki ZX-11 Ninja

Comment

Re: Door edge guards to prevent dings while in the garage?

Don't buy those from Carbumper.com. I did for my Aura. The glue is very cheap and doesn't hold well. Within a month they all fell off despite being applied properly. They come in some weird packaging that looks Chinese.

Originally posted by ianp
                    I keep both my G6 and my wifes Pacifica in our garage, and twice now my toddlers have thrown the rear door of her car open putting dings in in my new G6. I'm looking for something I can put on her car to prevent this.
                    At first I tried that cheap door edge moulding from wal-mart, but apparently it's not thick enough.

Has anybody tried the door guards from carbumper.com? These look like they'll work..
                    http://www.carbumper.com/Clear_Door_Protectors_EW5.html

Any other suggestions on how to handle this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Little
                      Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                      I figure they can't be too old if they are still throwing doors open, so now is a great time to teach them reward & responsibility, one week of their doors being child locked until u let them out, then let them get out themselves but one ding & its back to waiting in the car until ur ready to let them out & that's precious & tedious time for them

p.s. I have no kids, but boy do I remember that (irish catholic dad)
                      I just told my girls that I'd run over their Barbies if they hit the car just ONE MORE TIME!.
                      It worked.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

^

That's awesome.

Comment

Use the child locks on the doors!

2007 Silver G6 GT Coupe (w/Hammerhead Spoiler)
                          SWO Member
                          Tinted Tails done by Chad (cbrenn71)

Comment

Here is your answer.

http://www.autogeek.net/parsmarmagdo.html
                            2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
                            Forge Motorsports BPV
                            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
                            HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Working...