X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Speed Limit Governor" for Canada???

Hey fellow CDN's,

I wanted to see if any of you have given your GTP a run "to the limit".

I tried my 6-speed last week and it topped out at 180km/h.

When I asked the "Service Manager" about this he told me that GM Canadian cars were set to max out at 180km/h. I told him I doubted that a Corvette was set to this.

The US "threads" have claimed that if the "summer tire only" option is omitted, then the top end is electronically limited.

The Goodyear 18" LS 2 tires on my GTP are only "T" rated (190 km/h or 118 mph). This would make sense for GM to limit the vehicle.

I wanted to find out if I put V,W,Y or Z rated summer tires on, can the system be re-flashed? My dealer claims this can't be done.

Any comments or observations would be helpful.

Cheers,

Chris in Ottawa
    Black GTP, 6-speed
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Go Sens!!!

You can have the ECM reflashed, but it would have to be by an outside company. There is a modified ECM in the works, which should be available very soon.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

which will probably void your warranty if they happen to check the ECM if you take it in for warranty work
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Well that sucks, even if you don't drive that fast (you shouldn't) it's still nice to know that you could.

Comment

Re: "Speed Limit Governor" for Canada???

Originally posted by Blackdog
          When I asked the "Service Manager" about this he told me that GM Canadian cars were set to max out at 180km/h. I told him I doubted that a Corvette was set to this.
          I'me also from ottawa, and curious to ask where you are expecting to do >180.

I think 180 should be enough for anyone

Oh and btw GO SENS GO!
          Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
            Well that sucks, even if you don't drive that fast (you shouldn't) it's still nice to know that you could.
            ... In case you are running from the evil alien space ship zapping everything around you, and there is no one left alive to block the highways LOL. Ok i've hit the governer on a 2001 grand am SE, 2005 Chevy Impala and 2005 Chevy Malibu.
            Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

Comment

Well, I had the system on english instead of metric to see the MPG instead of the L/Km when I pushed it to 120mph and it was still pulling. I had to lay off the throttle before my fingers made impressions in the steering wheel! Quebec roads are really bad, maybe that makes us better drivers? Little Ontario vs Quebec here.
              -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

Originally posted by vilmar5
                Well, I had the system on english instead of metric to see the MPG instead of the L/Km when I pushed it to 120mph and it was still pulling. I had to lay off the throttle before my fingers made impressions in the steering wheel! Quebec roads are really bad, maybe that makes us better drivers? Little Ontario vs Quebec here.
                What is speed rating on your tires?
                Forge Motorsports BPV
                CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

What cause ditching the potholes? I agree quebec roads are really bad. There's a nice flat highway though north of gatineau, but i never can figure out how to get there, i stay on this side of the river most of the time

Comment

Originally posted by Kman
                    He's got the GT, I think they come with V-rated tires.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Haven't checked. They're the Continentals that comes on the GT.
                      -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

Re: "Speed Limit Governor" for Canada???

Originally posted by Yoyoma_2
                        I'me also from ottawa, and curious to ask where you are expecting to do >180.

I think 180 should be enough for anyone

Oh and btw GO SENS GO!
                        As mentioned, It didn't move past 180. From Blair rd. to Montreal road at 2:00 A.M. on the 417 was the test particulars. I don't make a habit of going that quick. If the road and conditions are clear...well.

The answer to my question is what I seek...not judgement.
                        If I wanted to go slow, I would have bought a Pontiac Pursuit!
                        Black GTP, 6-speed
                        Ottawa, Ontario
                        Go Sens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                          What tires came on your GTP? It seems odd that they would put V-rated tires on a GT and not on a GTP. As mentioned, my 6-speed came with the Goodyear LS2 all seasons.
                          Black GTP, 6-speed
                          Ottawa, Ontario
                          Go Sens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                            What tires came on your GTP? It seems odd that they would put V-rated tires on a GT and not on a GTP. As mentioned, my 6-speed came with the Goodyear LS2 all seasons.
                            My GTP came with 'W' rated Bridgestone Potenza RE05A's. Yes, a GTP with a 118-120 mph and a GT with a 126-130 mph, makes no sense at all.
                            Forge Motorsports BPV
                            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
                            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE

Comment

I have the LS2's as well. I think that GM only had a limited selection of tires for the GTP based on their specs. I mean, we have the option of the LS2's or the Potenza's, and that's it.

sigpic
                              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Working...
                              X