brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

so i called my dealership to see if i could get the new grand prix gxp red calipers installed on my car and they said they are a different size. so i asked if i could get the entire brake system replaced and they said yes, but it would void my warranty. so i said, "even though they are GM brakes and being installed by a GM dealer?" and he said it would void my warranty to make any alterations to my car. i didnt bring up that warranty act though. he was pretty clear that it would void it. and i dont know why he would lie bc im sure it wouldnt be cheap for me to have them do it.
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

interesting. i would think that upgrading the braking capabilities of your vehicle, especially by a GM tech, would not void your warantee. i am sure they have their reasons though.

Comment

what system would they replace it with? It has be GM parts, so it has to be from another vehicle no?
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
        i am sure they have their reasons though.
        I think that maby the garage doesn't want to take the liability if the modded breaks were installed. They are pretty much protected when they put the same stock part back into a vehicle. This way, if your brakes fail its most likley :

1) The garage's fault for faulty installation, that can be proven easily and that is controlable from a managment point of view (in which the installation procedure must be exactly the same as GM or common practice provides).
        2) GM's faulty design in which they would be indemnified.

Or maby the garage simply doesn't want to get into modding cars, stock parts for stock vehicles, that's the best way for them to control quality and keep their stats up. Maby you can visit a rural dealership where service and sales is more of an issue. I figure call around.

But i know nothing of cars so take it with a grain of salt.
        Canadian 2006 G6 GT Coupe, Black Leather, 8-spkr Monsoon, 17" chrome rims, SolarGuard HP Charcoal 22%, Trunk protector & roll carpet, Silver tire valve covers and a driver with a .

Comment

yea i thought it would be an upgrade so if anything it should be better. since the calipers are different sizes, i wanted the whole GP GXP brake system installed bc i would still like real red calipers instead of painted ones.

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
          Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

I'm a little confused here. You want them to install brakes that weren't meant for your car, and you don't understand why the new brakes wouldn't be covered under warranty?

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i don't know why it would void the warranty for my entire car. if my warranty is void, doesnt that mean for the whole car? and they are better brakes anyways.

Comment

They couldn't void the warranty on your entire car based on that, but don't expect them to help you out when it comes to brakes.

How are they better brakes, btw?

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i'm pretty sure they are bigger and since it's a more powerful car i assumed they might be a bit better, and they have cross drilled rotors. they also look much sweeter.

Comment

Im sure its a bigger pad/rotor combination, and the crossed drilled will help disperse heat nicely...
                    Originally posted by Toyz
                    Originally posted by simplyred
                    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

They can't void the warranty for the entire car, it would be taken case by case. If they can prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the modification caused the failure, then they are well within there rights to deny your warranty claim.

I can completely understand why there would be warranty issues if you did choose to do this. Reason being is because the brakes where not engineered for your car, there could be unforeseen issues.

Not to mention the fact that the G6 and the GP have different bolt patterns so I’m almost 100% sure this wouldn’t work in the first place.
                      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

that's why i asked him if it was possible and he said yes, maybe he was just a dumbass. i just want red calipers without painting the existing ones

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
                          that's why i asked him if it was possible and he said yes, maybe he was just a dumbass. i just want red calipers without painting the existing ones
                          I'm thinking he is just a dumbass.

What the issue with painting the stockers?
                          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

bc you're basically just trying to make the stock ones look like performance brakes instead of actually having performance brakes. but since i can't find any, im prob gonna have to just paint them

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
                              bc you're basically just trying to make the stock ones look like performance brakes instead of actually having performance brakes. but since i can't find any, im prob gonna have to just paint them
                              I wouldent exactly call GXP brakes "Performance Brakes"
                              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X