Air Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Dam

Anyone else find the air dam under the hood annoying? I bottom out on it usually at least once a day in the hilly area I live. Has anyone managed to remove this, or is it some essentially vital part of the car to force the air up into the engine itself?
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopi ... =deflector
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I thought it was the bottom part of the bumper absorber, yea i it sucks, some people just cut it out

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
      Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
      Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
      -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

DONT CUT!!! it is just snapped in with the plastic push retainers.
        you can remove those and pull it right off.

Orrrrrr just hit a few curbs and it will come off all on its own! ha haaa

There may be a screw for the two side retainer pieces. I cant remember.
        But it is super easy to remove.

again DONT CUT!!

MODS:

Comment

the middle half of mine fell off during flooding rain, so later I just pulled the right and left parts off. The car is much improved, i believe.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

I think the purpose of it runs along the same lines as curb feelers.
            The car is more areodynamic sans it.

MODS:

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
              I think the purpose of it runs along the same lines as curb feelers.
              The car is more areodynamic sans it.
              You're kidding right? cause the reverse is true.

Comment

get up under there and look at it.

It blocks about 2" of air for nothing. If it was to redirect the air
                down then it should slant down like flaps on a plane and redirect the flow of air...instead it just blocks it.

Lay down and look at it. I think its a piss poor afterthought.

Excuse my art....just like illustrations.

MODS:

Comment

edit: I take it back. Read my explaination below for a more proper viewpoint.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Really? Doesnt make sense to me.

Well mine is on a shelf in my garage.

MODS:

Comment

Mine is in the utility room. Curb stop pulled mine off.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                        get up under there and look at it.

It blocks about 2" of air for nothing. If it was to redirect the air
                        down then it should slant down like flaps on a plane and redirect the flow of air...instead it just blocks it.

Lay down and look at it. I think its a piss poor afterthought.
                        I know what you mean. But the purpose of the air dam is to redirect air away from the bottom of the car. The less air that flows through the bottom of the car the better. Ideally, you want to redirect the air either up through the radiator or split into each side of the car, but never down towards underneath the car. Yes, it's a piss poor design that just blocks the air, but it's better than nothing. Don't worry if you have it taken off though. It helps with aerodynamics but it's not very effective anyway.

Comment

For all of you that don't know. That thing down there is to keep snow and ice below the level of suspension exhaust etc. For anyone who has driven after several snow falls, you will see some roads which have tire tracks and a build up of snow between them that is leveled by that little black piece of plastic on most cars today. The only problem is that the one on the G6 is a flimzy piece of sht.

Comment

Originally posted by cheechster
                            For all of you that don't know. That thing down there is to keep snow and ice below the level of suspension exhaust etc. For anyone who has driven after several snow falls, you will see some roads which have tire tracks and a build up of snow between them that is leveled by that little black piece of plastic on most cars today. The only problem is that the one on the G6 is a flimzy piece of sht.
                            I don't buy it. Quote sources please.

The main idea with these things is to direct air to the sides of the car/away from the bottom. It has two effects: 1) It keeps the air pressure higher on the top of the car than the bottom, which is better for traction at high speeds (probably much higher speeds than any G6 will get to). 2) It actually increases the amount of air flowing through the radiator by creating a low pressure area behind it, which in turn creates a vacuum behind it.

sigpic
                            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I don't buy it either. That plastic air dam is like you said "a flimzy POS" it will break at the slightest resistance. There is no way it will be able to scrape off excess ice and snow on the road. It is barely able to deflect plain air as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X