e3 sparkplugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e3 sparkplugs

I heard that e3 sparkplugs were a great addition to a lot of cars.. will it make any type of difference for our G6's?? heres the link

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/

improved efficiency? fuel economy? more power?

anybody have any experience or knowledge about these sparkplugs?
    ::Black 06V6G6::..more to come.

eh, i dunno.

I'm an engineer, so I can appreciate the design and the theory behind this - but I doubt it would be anything you could really gage unless you ran a very precise test.
    Originally posted by colinpeddle
    They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
    That here, by G6er law, we lie
    Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
    THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

The main reason why spark plugs with multiple tips work a bit better is because they give the other tips time to cool.

As metal heats up its resistance increases thus reducing the strenth of the spark. So when you use more than one tip, the spark jumps the gap of the coolest tip which has the least resistance while the other tips cool. As you can imagine the tip that sparks will be hotter than the others or at least in theory. So thats why they make them that way.

L8R,
      Sterling
      2006 G6 GT Black 4 Door. Remote Start, Black Heated Leather, Three Spoke Wheel w/ cruise and Radio Controls,RED calipers by DupliColor, 27% Tint,Vent Visors, Hood Lift Kit, Nokya Artic White H/L Bulbs. 2 10" Infinity Subs w/960RMS Amp.
      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slrkappa/ ... EBJMLIV8fX
      USMC F18 Jet Mechanic.

Comment

The ignition system that's in our cars today, would be considered ultra high performance years ago. All these fancy multi ground spark plugs you see are nothing more more than gimmicks. Going to a Platinum electrode (longer plug life) serves a good purpose, but other than that, your just buying into a gimmick.

Comment

Back about 10 years ago there was a lot of hype over splitfire spark plugs regarding improved gas mileage and performance gains. When I took my old '92 Chevy Beretta in for a tune up I asked my mechanic about them and he mentioned how a customer of his installed them on a full-size V8 truck and ended up having to remove them after about a month because he got even worse gas mileage and the engine started idling rough and occasionally misfired.

Granted these aren't the same splitfire spark plugs that my story refers to, but the same rule applies. It might work awesome on one type of car and it might run like crap on another. The GM engineers spend a lot of time designing these engines for the typical spark. If you start monkeying around with how that spark fires, it could help and it could hurt. It's all a crap shoot.
          -Kevin
          2006 G6 Sedan GT (12/31/2005 - 11/5/2006. RIP)
          2007 G6 Sedan GTP (finally arrived 1/9/2007)

Comment

It's not going to do anything, just like those bosch +4 or whatever. The spark will choose the lowest path of resistance anyway. So for all you know it could just be going to the same post over and over. The tip material of the electrode is what matters, not how many "paths" it has.

Also, spark plugs do not create heat so it has nothing to do with over heating. They only remove heat by pulling unwanted thermal energy from the combustion chamber, and then it transfers the heat to the cooling system.

Comment

I worked at an autoparts store for years, those plugs dont do much of anything. We had a rep come in and talk with us, even he said that on a plug like the Platinum 4 most of the time it only uses one of the 4 post so it doesnt do anything different at all. Honestly, if those plugs made a worth while difference than GM would use them as OEM at least IMO
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

yeah the only advantage i can imagine would be a longer life because there are 4 contacts to corrode instead of just one. but if you are paying 4X as much it isn't really worth it anyway.

on a side note, how difficult are the plugs to get to in the 3900? i know a lot of S10 guys who would only change 5 plugs in their 4.3s

Comment

thanks for all the help!!!
                  ::Black 06V6G6::..more to come.

Comment

yeah they are junk.
                    The spark will ONLY use one tip at a time.
                    Similarly, the engines is more prone to detonation especially on FI vehicles.

Everyone I know thats tried them has had poor luck, except my buddy who has a 2.5 liter porchse that puts out 160 horse.
                    Supra MKIV - T72, Fuel, Race intake mani, Greddy 4 row, nitrous, cam gears, and AEM EMS

Comment

I used the NGK plug that equaled the Bosch +4 and had a ton of problems with the leading and trailing plug. But then again we are talking about a twin turbo rotary engine

Comment

plugs

i have used bosch plat +4s on a v6 before but it had msd 6t and blaster coil so about 50,000 volts multiple times each strike, they worked well, but they are really "cool" running plugs so if you do not have a very very hot ignition they will foul up all the time, in stock i would say just normal plats, i have read about "iradium" or some crap like that that some company makes them out of now where they are supposed to be better than platnum but has anyone here heard of that? i never saw another add so i bet they were bogus
                        Jason-

Comment

iridium (sp?) plugs have become very popular in auto part stores unfort they are pretty much a fad like the +4's... the truth is, unless your car calls for Platinums as OEM (which most new GM's are) regular cheapo plugs work just the same and a normal platinum plug if thats whats called for is perfect!

Comment

The spark plugs in the G6 are actually iridium-tipped with a platinum core.

Comment

Alot of the newer Toyotas and Lexus' use iridium spark plugs. The platinums get changed at 60k, but the iridiums can usually be changed at 90-100k.
                              Originally posted by TLS2000
                              It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Working...
                              X