Impressed with the General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressed with the General

My wife and I own a 2006 G6 GT. This car replaces a 2005 G6 sedan. We recently went on a 12 day vacation, putting 5,300 miles on the G6. I am most impressed with the performance of the car, 100+ degrees almost every day, the car never had any cooling issues, the air conditioning remained ice cold, the car ran flawlessly, and it was actually a pleasure to drive.

We saw some wonderful scenary, and we averaged between 28.5 and 31mpg consistently. I thought I had really screwed up when I forgot to put the gas cap back on after filling up in New Mexico, and drove the car almost 100 muiles before we realized it when we pulled into a resturant to eat. We never even got a CEL which surprized me, and the car never seemed to miss a beat.

Well done GM.

Bob

First off, welcome!

Do you have any pics of your car? Why did you replace the 05?

Comment

Nice!

GM must have changed something, in my '04 grand am leaving the gas cap loose triggers a CEL.. lol

where at in NM? I was in Albuquerque a week ago, haha
      3500 LX9 swapped Z24 Cavalier, BIG cam, LT-headers, lots of P&P and other misc stuff..

275 WHP/249 WTQ
      13.08 @ 105.5 MPH on slicks
      15 MPG City/30 MPG Highway :P

Comment

Loose gas cap will kick out an error on the DIC on the G6.

Comment

I have to agree with the cooling, these cars kick ass on the coolant system. Even in 115 degree weather here my car doesn't even hit the middle hash mark on the gauge with the AC running and stuck in traffic.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Thats why this site rocks....cause they are awesome!

Is that what the G stands for in G6?

General??
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Yeah def agree on the cooling, very impressive... and my AC has always been ice cold as well.

Comment

Same experience here, have never seen my engine temp in the upper half of the gauge, and I'm pretty sure I could keep meat from going off with my AC. GM may come out with some real stinkers now and then (*coughG6GXPandPersonalAudioLink*), but they are progressing overtime at making up for the ugly 80s and 90s.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                - DS S3 Intake
                - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

I definitely agree they have made big gains from previous models but yeah the aux input and a few other things-WTF!!!
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Welcome!
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Don't mean to knock the G6 because it's an awsome car and light-years ahead of anything GM built 5 years ago. But Bob's experience is nothing out of the ordinary. Even cars built 25 years ago worked flawlessly when they were new. In fact, the air conditioning systems back in the old days were much more powerful than what we have today. I remember drivng through Death Valley one time in a Toyota and driving through Arizona and Nevada another time in a Ford; I had to turn the A/C off a number of times because it was too cold. My past experience with GM's A/C was also as impressive and I expect the G6 or any other car will perform likewise.

Comment

Ford always made a good a/c unit. But....why didn't you just adjust the temp control? Mine is only on full cold when it's 1st started. I usually move it mid-range in the blue area after it's cooled a bit.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                          Ford always made a good a/c unit. But....why didn't you just adjust the temp control? Mine is only on full cold when it's 1st started. I usually move it mid-range in the blue area after it's cooled a bit.
                          Do you mean I should leave the A/C on and adjust the temperature control higher? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Not to mention it wastes gas and robs the engine of power.
                          I wish climate control is available for all models across the board.

Comment

I am always an icicle when I get out of my car. This morning I was driving with it set to 72 degrees and I was STILL freezing. . . even with the a/c blowing very low. I can't stand to drive with it off, though.

And I'm tall - 5'8" so it's not like I drive with my face smashed up in the dash or anything. . . .

Props on the killer a/c but I need a happy medium. I only need to use autostart for a good minute or two even in near 100 degree weather and I get in and its COLD! ( I guess I shouldnt complain with all the sweaty people I see ridin around with their windows down lately! )
                            What's up with you?
                            Nothin'. What's up with you?
                            Nothin' . . . . . . . .
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            This Is Where I Waste ENTIRELY Too Much Time!

~~~~~~~~~~
                            06 G6 GTP
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I set mine around 76F and it's a pretty decent temperature. I wish I could turn it off, but even when the temperature is bearable, the humidity is NOT.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                              - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                              - DS S3 Intake
                              - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Working...
                              X