Resale value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resale value

What is y'all's experience with how mods affect resale value on trade in? I know if you're selling private party it raises the value (assuming the prospective buyer wants the mods), but do dealerships try to ax the value even after the warranty is up, or do they respect the fact that you've actually added value to it? I'm refering mainly to performance mods like intake and exhuast.

With my experience...they didnt make a difference at all. But when I saw my traded vehicle on the lot...they were asking way more than stock price....figures.
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

Only Factory installed options are usually worth anything, with some exception.

Like you had cloth seats, but then got oem leather seats. You didn't have AC, but then you got it put in, etc..

Aftermarket performance parts, sound systems, visual stuff that isn't oem, isn't worth a dime on trade-in. If you can replace/remove the stuff and put the original back in, your a lot better off.
      I tried to think of something witty, but stopped.

Comment

The only way your gonna get more money with aftermarket stuff is if you find a private buyer, like you said "(assuming the prospective buyer wants the mods),". and understands their value.

i.e. selling a car with a killer sound system to an audio junkie. It will be worth more in their eyes.
        I tried to think of something witty, but stopped.

Comment

It never crossed my mind that they'd raise their price (a nice fantasy though), I just wondered if they used the mods as an excuse to whine and low ball you by a few hundred dollars or more.

Comment

Resale value? What is this "resale value"?

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
            - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
            - DS S3 Intake
            - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Something you only get with an import, sadly.

Comment

ha no shit, thats why i bought this car knowing, i'll be driving it until the wheels fall off!

Let's just hope it can make it as long as my old 3.1 engine in the ol Beretta(210K and still going original motor)
                2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                Black/Black coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                  Something you only get with an import, sadly.
                  very very true!
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Well you didn't expect that Integra on that used car lot with the mismatched body kit and tall wing to retain its resale value, did you?

But yeah, for mine I could care less. I wasn't expecting to sell it.
                    <-- Gray G6? Click!
                    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by quick6
                      With my experience...they didnt make a difference at all.
                      What the man said. The thing is like that: most of the average car buyers not only know nothing about mods but are paranoid that something that's not stock is gonna affect the functionality of the car, or they are afraid that they might lose the warranty.

The car guyz who know the mods world - well, they proly appreciate all the work and money put in, but they as a rule wanna mod their cars themselves and not to buy an already modded car; let alone the fact that the buyers be buyers, so they wanna lower the price at the best of their abilities, so they can always tell you (and they do) - well, take all this shit out, I don't want it...

Comment

Just market it towards a ricer head teen...Dress it up rice style. They like spending mommy and daddy's money anyway.
                        Lol. That's my opinion on trying to get the money back on mods, unless they are subtle it's hard to do much with them. If it's something outrageous, the dealer will more than likely hit you hard.

Comment

Mods are worth pennies on the dollar when trading-in at a dealer.
                          They basically have no value.

Comment

I've never traded a vehicle in. I've always sold it private party, or gave it away.
                            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrodmann
                              ha no shit, thats why i bought this car knowing, i'll be driving it until the wheels fall off!

Let's just hope it can make it as long as my old 3.1 engine in the ol Beretta(210K and still going original motor)
                              Exactly, my GP 156,000 and still going strong. Original engine, tranny, everything. I beat the piss out of it too. It had 132k when I got it and was 16, I redlined the fuck out of that thing every chance I got. Still ran like a champ when I traded it in. Didnt have a trans flush probably the whole time I had it. I think it was shifting with dust. Still shifted great. I hope this car holds up as well. Gotta love those series III 3800 engines. They are bulletproof

Comment

Working...
                              X