Looking at a 2006 GTP Sedan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a 2006 GTP Sedan...

I just joined up and posted this in the "new people" section, but I thought it might get more activity here.

Today my wife and I went to a local dealer to check out a 2006 G6 GTP sedan, it's very competitively priced, and that's what got our attention. So I got a price workup done, it's no problem for us moneywise, but I wanted to speak to owners of the G6 family to see what I should be on the lookout for with this car. Every car seems to have it's quirks and peculiarities that only owners can know about. So here's the details...

2006 G6 GTP sedan.
    3.9L
    Red with black leather.
    Auto with tapshift.
    As far as I can tell, it's got every option available except for the big roof (it's got the regular small roof).
    27k miles.

Now what advice do you have to offer us when dealing with the question of whether to buy it?
    2006 G6 GTP A4 Sedan
    Red/Ebony

1999 Lingenfelter Trans Am WS.6 M6
    Black/Charcoal

1995 GMC Yukon SLE (L9
    Red/Grey

The main two trouble spots to watch out for are a fairly common problem with the sunroof leaking, and the other being short-lived stock brakes which may be on the way out at 27k if the previous owner didn't change them/get them serviced.

Of course, I'd still recommend 100%

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
    - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
    - DS S3 Intake
    - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Well my wife will certainly not help the brake situation at all. What upgrade options are available? I'm assuming there's no direct replacement kits yet, but what about pads/rotors? Anyone find a combination that performs alot better than stock, but can still be daily driven?
      2006 G6 GTP A4 Sedan
      Red/Ebony

Black/Charcoal

1995 GMC Yukon SLE (L9
      Red/Grey

Comment

there's aftermarket rotors available from a few places, obviously you can always upgrade the pads as well.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I would guess Hawk ceramics would be best for daily driving, but i'd like to find someone who has used them here.
          2006 G6 GTP A4 Sedan
          Red/Ebony

Black/Charcoal

1995 GMC Yukon SLE (L9
          Red/Grey

Comment

I have powerslot rotors with Hawk pads and I really like them.

Only other thing to watch out for might be the gas mileage with the 3.9 litre - it's not bad but it's not class leading by any means.

Comment

She sees about 25mpg average in her 3.4L Grand Am. Is she going to see alot less with the GTP?
              2006 G6 GTP A4 Sedan
              Red/Ebony

Black/Charcoal

1995 GMC Yukon SLE (L9
              Red/Grey

Comment

I'll let the 3.9L owners give you the specifics, but you'd probably see around a 1-2mpg loss from your current average of 25mpg.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
                - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
                - DS S3 Intake
                - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

When my car was stock I was getting around 21-22 mpg with 50% city driving.

Comment

the sunroof shouldnt have problems, he said sedan and not a one of us have had a problem that i know of

it is a great car and only thing sedans really have problems with is brakes like everyone else

not me so far though

Comment

I have virtually the exact same car except i have the Panoramic sunroof (which has never leaked). I would agree with the brakes as mine are starting to shake a bit when braking at highway speeds , but other then that I absolutely love my car.

I have a tad over 25k miles on it and average about 19-20mpg, 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. I would consider myself somewhat of an aggressive driver but not crazy.

If you're getting a good deal on it, then I'd say pick it up... you won't regret it! Everyone on this forum is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the G6 platform as well as many other makes and models, so you'll always have us as a resource.

Comment

I have the 3.9 GT. Same options as the one you are looking at, but I have the manual trans. I have already had warped rotors, and some slight vibrations between 50 and 55. The dealer says the vibrations are normal. I average about 25-28 mpg on a weekly basis, and can get about 400 miles out of the 16.something gallon tank. I love my car cause it has the handling package of the GTP, and lighter motor. I think if the price is nice, get it!

Good luck in your decision!

Comment

We bought the car today. Been running around all day because it was already a busy day even before we planned on taking delivery of a new car, but we did get to enjoy the car all day in our running around. I'm not at all happy with the dealer's prep work, so i'm taking it to my dad's garage tomorrow and giving it a full detail. I'll take some pics tomorrow evening for posting since i'm sure you all would like to see it.

My impressions so far:

This thing has a ton of power. I'm very surprised, and that means alot since i'm used to a near 450hp V8 in my toy. Brakes are great, but noisy right now. I made sure we got brand new brakes from the start, thanks to your recommendations. I assume the noise is because they are still breaking in. The ride is much firmer than I expected. I'm almost a bit disappointed, but then I remind myself how much better the car handles thanks to that firm ride, and it's all ok again. It's extremely quiet, which doesn't really matter to me...I don't mind when a car let's me know that it's got some power, but the woman loves that part. The seats are probably the most amazing part about the car. When the family was checking it out and taking rides in it, that was the subject of the overwhelming majority of the positive comments. Awesome support, firm but not hard, and they look great too. One complaint is the dumb placement of the seat heater switch, about half the time I bump the switch while getting in and then wonder why my ass is on fire. The dash lights are AWESOME looking at night, and the DIC is really fun to play with.

One question I do have: where can I get the autodim/compass mirror? I'm sure it's like $800 through GM, but is there anywhere else I can find it? Anyone have a picture of theirs so I can see what it looks like?
                          2006 G6 GTP A4 Sedan
                          Red/Ebony

Black/Charcoal

1995 GMC Yukon SLE (L9
                          Red/Grey

Comment

I bought my own autodim/compass/UV/Temp mirror off eBay, I have pictures of it around here somewhere but who knows. I'd try eBay and look for another solution instead of the GM one. Or try a wreckers every now and then.

Edit - This is what mine looks like, not the GM one but oh well thought I would post it anyway. I paid less than $100 for it and I love it, awesome quality. http://g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5056

Comment

Blakbird- we need some pictures of your Lingenfelter Trans Am!

Comment

Working...
                              X