Extended Warantee on the G6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Warantee on the G6

I'm in the middle of purchasing a 2007 G6 GTP Coupe, and am wondering if I should shell out the extra money for an extended warantee.

Is it worth it? What have you guys done?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe
    Black | Sunroof | Leather | Debadged | Garmin Nuvi 680
    Front Tint - 30% Llumar ATR | Rear Tint - 15% Llumar ATR | Windshield Tint Strip - 15% Llumar ATR

Nope, didn't buy it. Didn't feel it was worth it. The thing is, the extended warranty was something like $1,300 and the way I see it, if something goes wrong after the regular warranty's up, I'll pay for it then.

Comment

I run the finance department at a smaller dealership in west texas and as long as your vehicle is under the standard manufacturer's warranty, your prospective vehicle would be eligible for an extended warranty at a new car rate instead of a higher pre-owned rate. Based on the system we use here, the vehicle your looking at would be eligible for an additional 4 years/50,000 miles of bumper to bumper coverage including alternator, A.C. components etc. for $910.

There is significant markup in these products, especially when a new car rate is able to be utilized. Send a p.m. if you'd ever like a cost for your individual vehicle.
      2007 Blue-Gold GTP 6AT Sedan
      -Sun & Sound pkg.

2001 Audi TT 225 6MT
      -APR ECU Tune
      -Milltek Turbo-Back Exhaust
      -Boston Acoustic sound...

Comment

I lived in AK when I bought my 06 GTP coupe. Alaska is a rough place on cars, and I had already blown (litterally) a hole in my Cavalier's tranny with a rock on a dirt road. So I bought thee 5/75 warranty figuring it would cover 2/3 of the expected life of my car (i.e. time to pay it off). It added like 2k IIRC. I have made no use of any warranty on the car yet so, knock on wood. Generally I would recommend against the warranty, just too much $... Anyways my $0.02.

2007 Member of the Year - Blue Man Group
        Originally posted by shi-fu
        Panda, we do not wash our pits in the pool of sacred tears...

Comment

I've done a lot of research on extended car warranties. Most of the time the dealers will by the warranty from a place like Warranty Direct and put an extra $300 markup on it to make some extra cash. So now, I go to Warranty direct myself. They have up to a 7 years / 120,000 miles bummer to bumper for $1300. I plan on driving the piss outta this car, so if it's anything like the car I just went through, it will pay for itself 5x's over.

You might check it out. The best thing is, you can buy Warranty Direct extended warranties anytime you want. You don't have to buy them when your car is new. So if you don't want to waste your manufacture’s warranty for the first 3 years, you can wait and buy Warranty Direct’s when the one that came with your car expires (which is what I'm doing :-)

http://www.warrantydirect.com
          2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
          1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

^ you can buy extended warranty whenever???
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

Originally posted by quick6
              ^ you can buy extended warranty whenever???
              Yep, sure can. Check out their site. I did a couple of months worth of research on this and found that this is the most reputable site / place to get your extended warranty. Plus, you can take it to any mech, not just the dealer. But, since it doesn't cost you anything (after you buy the warranty of course) who cares how much it costs ;-)
              2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
              1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

^ wow thanks!
                2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

My experience:

My first car was a 1996 Sunfire, which I bought in 1998. I purchased an extended warranty on it for $1200 which brought me to 100,000kms. In the 1.5 years that I took to pay that car off, the warranty paid out over $9000 in repairs to that POS car!

I quickly traded the car in on a brand new 2000 Grand Am GT just as I hit the two year mark on ownership. The Grand Am needed major engine work at 73,000kms which was out of warranty. I didn't purchase an extended warranty on that car so it cost me a bunch of money for tools/parts so that I could do it myself to save on the labour.

Since the Grand Am was a POS, I got the extended warranty on the G6. I'm thinking about selling it back to them though. This car is WAY better than the Grand Am ever was for reliability.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

yea most extended warranties you want to wait until your car's manufacturers warranty is almost over because it starts immediately so you don't want to waste time on a warranty that you don't need. Wait until your warranty is almost over before purchasing an extended one.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero
                    Performance: Stage 3/4 CAI-GTR Exhaust-VMS Tune
                    Sound: 12" Kicker L7-Optima Redtop
                    -Retrofit 2008 Radio Owner #3

Comment

Originally posted by Hello
                      yea most extended warranties you want to wait until your car's manufacturers warranty is almost over because it starts immediately so you don't want to waste time on a warranty that you don't need. Wait until your warranty is almost over before purchasing an extended one.
                      Yeah, I thought about that... problem is that if you buy the warantee after the fact, it costs considerably more... doesn't it?
                      2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe
                      Black | Sunroof | Leather | Debadged | Garmin Nuvi 680
                      Front Tint - 30% Llumar ATR | Rear Tint - 15% Llumar ATR | Windshield Tint Strip - 15% Llumar ATR

Comment

I don't know for sure, my dad bought one a few years ago, for around between 1K-1500, his warranty covers most major things but not all minor things. I've never heard of a extended bumper-to-bumper from a third-party other than the manufacturer.

Appearance: Chrome Lower Grilles-Black Euro Tails-Red DupliColor Calipers-Red LED Dome/Map-Tint 15% All Around-4300K Fogs-8000K Lows-18" Black Konig Hotswaps-Pirelli PZero

Comment

So say your engine blows up and its gonna be 3K to fix..........could you buy the extended warranty for 1.3K and save some $$$? haha

Comment

I think if your engine blows up your car might be totaled, but you never know this is america after all

Comment

Originally posted by Hello
                              I don't know for sure, my dad bought one a few years ago, for around between 1K-1500, his warranty covers most major things but not all minor things. I've never heard of a extended bumper-to-bumper from a third-party other than the manufacturer.
                              Me neither. I have never found an extended warranty that covers 100% bumper-to-bumper. Some are pretty close, but still not 100% like the original manufacturer's basic warranty. Even the manufacturer's own extended warranty does not cover 100%. I am nick-picking but still it is something you should be aware of.

Extended warranty is like insurance. If you have lots of claims, you win. If you have no claims, then the warranty insurer wins. But that also means your car has been trouble-free during this period so it's still nice. Nobody buys insurance and hope they will get into an accident. But if an accident occurs, you will be glad you are covered. There are many extended warranties on the market, some are rip-offs, some are genuine. You have to do the research and read all the fine prints to decide for yourself whether it is worth the cost or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X