Backing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up

When I first joined this site, one of the major topics was the rearward visibility or lack of it of the G6 coupe but then it waned.
    I have owned my GTP coupe for a year or more and still have panic attacks when backing up so my question is: Has anyone figured out a good safe method?
    I am particularly thinking of the situation where one is parallel parked and there is a another vehicle beside and one must back up blind until well out into traffic; about all one seems to see is 'C' pillar.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    GTPdriver[/code]
    G. Stephen Day

^ I got a sedan and backed into someone (well they were backing out at the same time)...so I can't even imagine the coupe!!
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan - CRAB CAB, VMS 93 octane Tune, GT-R Exhaust, Eibach Prokit Springs, 35% Quartz tint, Colormatched GTP rims, Red Calipers

Comment

Be very careful.

Side mirrors help a lot, make sure they're adjusted so you can see the blind spot (where the C-pillar blocks your vision).

Comment

always drive with a buddy who can guide you

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

i jsut got my license in january and prolyl 2 weeks after i got my license i backed up into a telephone pole...but in my defense the telephone pole was inbetween this girl's mailbox and her driveway...so i didnt really suspect a pole to be in blindspot...lol...lucky it was only minor damage to the paint and it is barely visible now with the touch up paint on it...

but anyways...i think they sell a cirular mirror that glues onto your side view mirror that is supposed to help with the blind spots.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2557626
          2 Time ROTM Champion =P

Comment

Use the force...

Yeah it sucks but it's something you learn to deal with and compensate. I basically rely on my side mirrors...

Comment

Backing up

I have adjusted to backing straight back and getting out of regular parking spots but what I should have said is that when angle parking or when parking in parking lots, then getting out is a nightmare.
              Then one can't use the mirrors and craning one's neck only gets one a nice view of the side pillars.
              Sorry for the confusion caused by my first thread.
              GTPdriver
              G. Stephen Day

Comment

i just back up until i feel a slight "bump" that way i dont really do any damage my car or the car behind me, then it's all easy from there.

j/k, yeah it sucks and takes a lot to get use to. I freaked when I first got the car and was test driving at the dealership. I've learned to judge it a little but still scares the hellzors outta me.
                '07 GT Sedan Granite Metallic: http://www.fquick.com/achg6gt

Comment

have issues with changing lanes on the highway sometimes. Backing up a little but my Mom and Dad have always had corvettes and those are hard to back up. can not tell where the bumpers are.
                  ....................................... Foreverpontiac.com offical friend of G6P.com......................................
                  .................................................. .. Progression & Pics thread .................................................. ..

Comment

When I was test driving while backing up I almost hit another car on the dealer's lot if it weren't for the salesman warning me. Later when he moves the car to another spot and while backing up he hit the car next to it. I agree the blind spots on the G6s are very dangerous, even on the sedans.

Comment

Backing up

I don't have any problems backing up with my G6. I just have problems with Saturns rear ended me while I'm sitting still in traffic When I had my 03 Grand am I wasn't paying attention at the time and I backed up into a old chevy tahoe and actually took a chunk out of back bumper Then my poor car I think had 7,000 miles on it at that time. But I was only 20 when that happended. I'm going to be turning 25 this year so I think I got a little bit smarter and wiser I think

Comment

Not sure how much they cost or how big the screen is but you could always get that camera installed or even the back up sensor. It might make it too congested though on the dash. Just an option though if you can't deal with the blind spot.

Comment

Hey, where'd my smiley go?!

*edit* Nevermind, it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by quick6
                            ^ I got a sedan and backed into someone (well they were backing out at the same time)...so I can't even imagine the coupe!!
                            HOW the hell did you do this in a sedan? kidding.

the sedan window makes me feel like im just outside, the coupe window, while sufficient, is a coupe window.
                            -Lucy-
                            2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                            3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                            sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

2 words to solve all your problems: Trunk Monkey!

Seriously, it can be a leap of faith sometimes. Good heart exercise!
                              ~ Miles of Smiles in my Black G6 GT Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X