OBD II Scan Tool (AutoEnginuity)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD II Scan Tool (AutoEnginuity)

Anyone have any luck getting an OBD-II scantool to work with the AURA? I have the AutoEnginuity scantool for my PDA that I successfully used for a long time in my old Pontiac. It did not work with the AURA, I presumed because it lacked CAN support. I sent the scantool back and they performed the hardware upgrade, so now it has CAN support...but it still cannot connect to the car. The software finds the OBD-II connector but says it cannot connect to the vehicle. Anyone have similar experiences? AutoEnginuity tech support made a sincere attempt to help. Here is what their GM engineering guy told me after going back and forth a few times and sending some troubleshooting logs from the scan tool:

> Well all I know is that I haven't seen anything on a Saturn that
    > supports29bit CAN, but since this is a new Aura it's possible.
    >
    > What I do know is that as far as the CAN speed goes in OBDII they give
    > you a window for the 500k speed (retry attempts, re-sampling, it's
    > really complicated), for the GM CAN they actually have made that
    > window smaller. So if you support OBDII CAN 500k speed timing it
    > doesn't necessarily mean that GM CAN is supported. But if you support
    > GM CAN then you do support OBDII.The GM CAN is just more of a stricter
    > interpretation and implementation of the OBDII CAN settings. This
    > could be the reason why you get some communication at times because
    > the network for some reason clicks with connector at one time.
    >
    > I also know that for GM CAN they do pad their messages so if a
    > response is like 3 bytes you could still get all 8 bytes in the
    > response, but the last 5 bytes will be garbage so you need to know
    > exactly the size of the packet, of course the first byte in the
    > payload is the size but you must use that and not assume you got x
    > bytes of valid data because you might not have and handle accordingly.
    > I've seen Chrysler do this as well. Even in some of the specs for
    > Chrysler they even state that the tester and ECM must supportpadded
    > and unpadded messages and the only GM CAN doc I got says the same
    > thing. So I bet in the HS3000 manual it probably doesn't specifically
    > state that you will not get padded messages. So I would assume that
    > unpadded and padded messages are acceptable. In the GM and Chrysler
    > docs they do say that the would prefer non padded messages to save on
    > the band width.

I mentioned that the G6 and Malibu are platform mates to the Aura and I would assume they might have similar issues, but got this reply:

> They make only one ODBII standard so platforms and models clearly are not at issue. But certain cars may have trouble complying as in the case of the BMW M3 and M5 which were non-compliant for almost 5 years. Then they recalled them for a fix. It's not uncommon for this on extremely new cars. What we do is put the vehicle on a watch list until one comes in for verification.

So...anyone get a scantool such as this one to work with the Aura?

I dont know much about the scan tools as I never have used one, but when I was looking into getting them before like at summit racing and reading them...... unless you have like a 1K one that has all the software + for the makes it wont read just any OBD 2 car. Like Summit Racing I know under the G6 section has to scan tools that are like 100-150 ish I remember and they ONLY work on like 01+ GM vechiles only. They work on any other OBD 2 car with out the software. I dont know if what I said helps any or not
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I used this one on my old car...it saved me a fortune in repair bills. I have a GM enhanced upgrade for it as well to access all the GM specific items.

Originally posted by dre256
      I dont know much about the scan tools as I never have used one, but when I was looking into getting them before like at summit racing and reading them...... unless you have like a 1K one that has all the software + for the makes it wont read just any OBD 2 car. Like Summit Racing I know under the G6 section has to scan tools that are like 100-150 ish I remember and they ONLY work on like 01+ GM vechiles only. They work on any other OBD 2 car with out the software. I dont know if what I said helps any or not

Comment

Working...
      X