Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get 46 mpg

No not coasting down a hill....

Was on 465 in Indy, heading up to Lafayette, and thought I would try a little "drafting" out. Got about 2-3 car lengths behind the fastest semi I could find (about 62 in a 55) and reset the DIC. Went down the road about 10-12 miles like that before I peeled off, with the DIC reading 46 mpg!

So yeah, not the most fun thing to do. Especially if you are impatient like me. But its something to know if you are ever running out of gas or broke! Had the sunroof open and did a little aero test, not scientific or anything but the handometer siad it felt like about 30-35 mph.

if you only went that short of a distance the dic was still calculating what your mpg was so that isn't a accurate number really. mine has stayed at 50 for a minute when I have reset it.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

I tried that going to the Grand Canyon. Unfortunetly the rocks that were kicked up made it not worth it.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
      Originally posted by [i
      Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

A few years back when my father and I drove up to Ontario we were doing this.... we were in a pickup too so it really helped out.

We'd be touching the brake too because (with a load in the pickup) we kept gaining speed on the rig in front of us. We only had to hit the gas on an incline or to re-accelerate to the speed of traffic.

No dic in the pickup then, so no numbers, but tank wise, probably saved us at least one almost 2 full fill ups.
        The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Do not believe that MPG reading. I noticed when I reset that it always gives some crazy reading.
          Best way to check is too fill gas completely then reset trip meter drive then refill gas and divide miles driven by gallons for a more accurate reading.

Drafting behind a truck will not add 20 MPG no way. Aint gonna happen

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
            A few years back when my father and I drove up to Ontario we were doing this.... we were in a pickup too so it really helped out.

We'd be touching the brake too because (with a load in the pickup) we kept gaining speed on the rig in front of us. We only had to hit the gas on an incline or to re-accelerate to the speed of traffic.

No dic in the pickup then, so no numbers, but tank wise, probably saved us at least one almost 2 full fill ups.
            Wow you are so full of crap. A truck will not create enough draft to pull you along. I think others will back me up here

Comment

For the first time ever last week, I reset my mpg and drove about 60 miles to the shore. When we got there, my DIC read 25.6, which is the highest I've ever gotten.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

they did this on myth busters.

came up with some good data, NO WHERE NEAR 90-100% gain in mileage.

your test is obviously flawed if you only did it for a short short time. considering it takes the DIC around 100mi to get somewhere close to where ever it usually reads.

if i remember right, the highest they saw was at a distance of 5-10ft around 20% increase in mpg
                -Lucy-
                2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

http://www.env-econ.net/2007/06/mythbusters_and.html

some numbers, roughly
                  -Lucy-
                  2006 Silver Gt Coupe
                  3.5 l v6, alloy 17"s
                  sun and sound package, leather package.

Cardomain Site:
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663987

Comment

Originally posted by gearjammer

Wow you are so full of crap. A truck will not create enough draft to pull you along. I think others will back me up here
                    You've never driven a full size pickup loaded down with a piano, 2 highboy cabinets, 4 mattresses, a full tank of gas and other shit before have you.

If you get on even a 1/2 degree downward grade with a full size trailer in front of you, you will gain ground.

Call bs all you want. But I am not one to bs.
                    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Wrong. Honestly, I know the DIC isnt going to be completely accurate (usually about 1-2.5 mpg off for me). But 10 miles was enough for it to "settle" down and it at least gives a point of comparison. May have been 40mpg in reality, but still abnormal for sure.

The truck was not "pulling" me. I was close enough for him to break the airflow around my car, and yes that will significantly reduce the drag if the turbulent wake flow is directly on the car. If the airflow were 35mph instead of 60, the drag would be about 1/3. I dont know if this was the case but just a guess. That would be enough for actual mileage in the 40mpg range at 60-62.

Btw, I have a '05 3.5 and yes it does usually get very good gas mileage. Going 70mph on the same ~70 mile trip DIC indicated 38.6mpg. This is with very little wind, relatively low humidity, and temps in the high 70s. I dont get this all the time, usually indicates 32.7-35.6 on the highway in the spring/summer/fall and drops of in the winter.

I will try to do this agian and get some video. My camera only takes 30 sec clips at a decent resolution , so be prepared for a clip show.

Comment

Originally posted by kgeier82
                        they did this on myth busters.

came up with some good data, NO WHERE NEAR 90-100% gain in mileage.

your test is obviously flawed if you only did it for a short short time. considering it takes the DIC around 100mi to get somewhere close to where ever it usually reads.

if i remember right, the highest they saw was at a distance of 5-10ft around 20% increase in mpg
                        i agree, it was flawed. I've spent enough time messing with wind tunnels in lab to know! I would have to do many trials for thousands of miles to get a true idea.

Comment

You've never driven a full size pickup loaded down with a piano, 2 highboy cabinets, 4 mattresses, a full tank of gas and other shit before have you.

If you get on even a 1/2 degree downward grade with a full size trailer in front of you, you will gain ground.

Call bs all you want. But I am not one to bs.
                          I drive a truck for a living buddy. All that stuff in your truck sounds like your name might be Fred Sanford.
                          I have pulled loads weighing 100,000 pounds a little more than your truck load

Comment

Feel the love.
                            Drafting saves gas period. How much depends on distance traveled. I've drafted a semi before, problem is, if he brakes suddenly, it's too late to stop by the time you know.
                            BTW, 65 and 52 go to Lafayette, you coming from the east side of Indy?
                            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                              Feel the love.
                              Drafting saves gas period. How much depends on distance traveled. I've drafted a semi before, problem is, if he brakes suddenly, it's too late to stop by the time you know.
                              BTW, 65 and 52 go to Lafayette, you coming from the east side of Indy?
                              NE side (castleton/fishers area), went from allisonville rd exit to 865 exit.

Comment

Working...
                              X