X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Saab 9-3 Belong?

Read this article in the paper today:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news ... 3a5fecb67b

I don't know if we're talking similar parts to the Chev/Pontiac/Saturn models built off the same platform. There is even a 4-whee-drive model coming.
    Trust me, I'm a professional!

Yes the Saab is built on the same platform. I think the 2008 Saab may be on Epsilon II though.

Now reading the article, they don't say anything nice about the six speed (F40) either. You'll note that they have the F40 mounted up to the 2.8l (same engine family as the 3.6l), which indicates that they could drop it into the G6 GTP's with the 3.6l without too much trouble if they wanted to.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I was thinking some of the same thoughts TLS2000... it's another example of where parts for our G6 might be sourced. The 9-3 seems to have about the same horsepower/torque as our cars, so I don't think a transmission swap is going to gain much for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GraniteGrey
        I was thinking some of the same thoughts TLS2000... it's another example of where parts for our G6 might be sourced. The 9-3 seems to have about the same horsepower/torque as our cars, so I don't think a transmission swap is going to gain much for anyone.
        For 07 GTPs though, it would mean the possibility of 252hp with a manual. Not a bad combo. Of course, you'd have to see how the ratios perform with the 3.6L's torque curve.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
        - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
        - DS S3 Intake
        - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

Technically the 9-3 isn't Epsilon. There's a story behind that. The 9-3 is based on Epsilon, but Saab made so many changes to the platform, it's no longer Epsilon. Pontiac originally considered since 9-3 had a convertible, lead to the approval of the G6 Convertible. But it's not until afterwards Pontiac found out about the changes, which were significant enough for the car to be unable to build off the bat at the G6 plants. That was why the G6 Convertible took so long to enter production.

So I'd say 9-3 is a close relative, but not Epsilon.
          <-- Gray G6? Click!
          2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
          2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
          Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

i was told that 9-3 is related to the subaru outback but i dunno how much truth there is to that either.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
              i was told that 9-3 is related to the subaru outback but i dunno how much truth there is to that either.
              I think it's the Saab 9-2 that is related to the Subaru Impreza - both are station wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                Technically the 9-3 isn't Epsilon. There's a story behind that. The 9-3 is based on Epsilon, but Saab made so many changes to the platform, it's no longer Epsilon. Pontiac originally considered since 9-3 had a convertible, lead to the approval of the G6 Convertible. But it's not until afterwards Pontiac found out about the changes, which were significant enough for the car to be unable to build off the bat at the G6 plants. That was why the G6 Convertible took so long to enter production.

So I'd say 9-3 is a close relative, but not Epsilon.
                Actually, I understand that only applies to the convertible. The regular 9-3 is built on the GM Epsilon platform.

Comment

Saab 93a is the same platform as the malibu. the malibu max is the same platform asthe G6.

Comment

Working...
                  X