Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think maybe my car was wrecked before I bought it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think maybe my car was wrecked before I bought it.

I was just doing some thinking about my car, and I have good reason to think it was wrecked before I bought it brand new. Let me run some thoughts by you guys, and let me know your opinions.

Ok, there are a few things related to the passenger door which indicate the car was wrecked:

1. The window has NEVER sealed right. I've had it in for repair 4 times already, and it STILL doesn't seal right.
    2. I found broken glass in the map pocket a few months after I got the car. I then found a whole lot of broken glass under the rear seat when I installed my sound system.
    3. I think I see overspray on the front fender just in front of the door.
    4. No GM badge on the door when I bought it.

So 1 and 2 automatically say to me that the window was broken at the very least. 3 and 4 say to me that the door itself was damaged.

When you buy a new car, is there any laws related to disclosure that would make it so that they are required to tell you it was damaged prior to being titled? If so, does anyone here think I may be able to get some restitution from them? I don't want to give the car back or anything, but I wouldn't mind getting some money back or something.

Thoughts?

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

you would have to go through the dealer or through corprate office.. had a similer problem with a ford work truck, had paint pealing off of roof, contacted dealer and had repaired (free), but I only found out it was wreaked during shipping(from another dealer) sooo you may need to find a friend at pontiac, to run your vin through their system. but it may not come up if the offending party did not document it i.e. trucking company... unfourtunatly it may be to late.
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8
    2005 Pontiac G6 GT....Wife (Liquid Silver)
    1983 Jeep CJ7.....for the 8 year old

SSSS member #5

Comment

the only situation like this i've ever heard of or seen was: when i was shopping for cars (ended up with this 6) i was also looking at Mustangs. I was at the dealer for a test drive and the only 5 speed they had was this yellow one that was slightly damaged en-route to the dealer. somehow it came loose on the truck/train and slid into the car behind it. when i took it for a test drive it had no rear bumber and the tail lights were cracked and the trunk lid was dented. I didnt want a yellow one but i asked if i could get a real good deal because it was damaged and he said no. They would put on a new bumper, new tails, and 'repair' the trunk lid and sell it new. i would assume this means the customer wouldn't know.

Sounds to me like this happened to you. take your points to the dealer, and the actual person you bought the car from (if he still is there/you remember him) and tell him how you feel. see what they say.
      '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

I used to work at a GM dealership while in college. I actually wrecked a brand new pickup in the parking lot while working there. Yes, it is a law that they have to disclose any accidents at the time of purchase. If they don't, hope you enjoy your new free G6

Edit...it is possible that something happened at the stock yard or in delivery that caused a window to get busted. That has happened and I don't think they would have to disclose it. As far as the missing GM decal, you have some idiots who will go into dealerships and steal stuff such as antennas off the cars for the fun of it. The place where I worked had that problem with OnStar antennas, so they started keeping them inside the vehicle until it was purchased. Its possible that someone took that badge or some idiot on the assembly line forgot to put it there.
        2007 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe - A6, Granite Metallic on Ebony Leather - stock
        (sold)1998 Chevrolet Corvette
        (sold) 2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Comment

Does it have a CarFax history?

I would bet greenbacks on a accident of some sort, were that I a betting man be.

2007 Member of the Year - Blue Man Group
          Originally posted by shi-fu
          Panda, we do not wash our pits in the pool of sacred tears...

Comment

Originally posted by stahlight
            Does it have a CarFax history?

I would bet greenbacks on a accident of some sort, were that I a betting man be.
            Carfax won't show damage to a new car pre-delivery, would it?

I dunno, I'll check into it.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

lets put it this way, if you didnt "thouroughly" inspect the car before buying it or had a report ran on it, needless to say since you have owned it a while, no laywer will touch it. My fiance and I bought him a new car (now repoed because thats a long story) but they sold it to us as a brand new car. It was an 06 but built in 05 however there were a lot of miles on it and we questioned it and they said it was from a lot of test drives but we were still skeptical but he wanted it bad so i co-signed. well, less than a month into owning it, we found an old insurance card, sunglasses, and an MP3 player. well we took it up to the dealership and told them about it and we were threating to take them to court and we were looking for a lawyer and none would take the case due to the fact that "we should have inspected more so than we did" and after we were able to obtain a report on the car, so a company sold us a used car as new, which is highly illegal yet they still got away with it yet we still owe the money on it even though we dont own it anymore, but the company that keeps calling, their phone lines are screwed up so how should we know what we owe on it since its been sold at auction we refused to pay the money for a new vehicle when it was used and we tried to do a voluntary repo on it and the company said that they couldnt do that but i dont know, it was all and now we have a repo on our records for the next 5-7 years (however long they stay on there now-that changes to what seems like yearly) so yeah...your situation is different but still might have the same fall backs and such

Comment

go break a window at the dealership u bought ur 6 at, then u will b even
                Originally posted by TLS2000
                They cleaned my thing out
                g6p memer 22

rip pbm 04 gto 7/7/09

1999 chevy s 10 xtreme
                2007 honda vtx1300

Comment

Originally posted by keith87
                  go break a window at the dealership u bought ur 6 at, then u will b even
                  lol. thats how us chicago ppl deal with it.

:smoke:

2005 Pontiac G6 GT- K&N C.A.I, 20% Tints in back 35% in front, 5w30 Amsoil, K&N Oil Filter, Drilled and Dimpled rotors, Ceramic brake pads.
                  Future Mods: GT-R Exhaust, Tune, Tinted tail lights, Red interior lights, and more....
                  Theres a reason its called a legandary G6
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2674498

Comment

Comment

Yup, i believe it was wrecked Tom, take it back and demand a new one
                      Seriously though, sounds a lil fishy
                      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I don't believe when a broken window is replaced on a new vehicle, the dealership is required to report it. The vehicle was never registered so it is technically a new vehicle. Granted, the dealership detail guys suck.
                        Vehicles get damaged in transit, and they have to be fixed prior to being placed on the lot.
                        At least it's not hail damage like happens in Colorado.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I have no problem with a busted window being replaced, if the car is thoroughly cleaned up, but there is a lot of glass under the seat.

There is still the overspray on the fender to contend with.

The biggest single issue though, is that the damned window still doesn't seal right. I hear absolutely no wind noise through the driver's window, and yet the passenger window will make noise depending on the wind/speed of travel. If they'd at least fix that right, I'd be a much happier person.

sigpic

Comment

sooo you may need to find a friend at pontiac, to run your vin through their system.
                            pontiac wont know anything about it unless they tried warrentying it which if they did that i can run the vin for you (pm me the vin and i can tell you the warrenty work on record) If it happened at the dealer they will have the history of repairs being done. so just go to the dealer you bought it at and ask them for a copy of the vehicles history if they ask y just say you want the records cuz your planning to sell or something like that. just look through it and see if you see any body work. my old car i did that (cuz i wanted to see what was replaced when the balljoints broke) and we found history of the car being painted.

i know ive been wondering myself if mine was ever wrecked b4 i got it. the day i went to sign the papers i was looking at it again and found paint overspray on the black rocker panel right behind the LR wheel and a dent in the pan under it so ive been wondering too.

If anyone has access to carfax can you do us a solid and check for us

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                            Originally posted by snowmanG6
                            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Care to elaborate more on your window seal issue?

Comment

Working...
                              X